• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

chuckstah

If you look at the Skiesta web cam, they haven't even started on Jordan. I assume they are going to blow Rogue or Excalibur. T2 is completely covered already. My bet is that they open for evenybody on T2 first. They always try to do the surprise thing.
Lolla is online, according to a friend that lives there and can see it from his deck.

thebigo

There is a drone shot of lollapalooza snowmaking on their FB page, posted this morning but who knows when it was taken?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231101_145903_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231101_145903_Chrome.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 21

machski

There is a drone shot of lollapalooza snowmaking on their FB page, posted this morning but who knows when it was taken?
And that shot shows how far they have yet to go to get Jordan open. Kick back and crack a few folks, gonna be a while yet. As I said, if racers are on snow on T2 up to a few days ahead of the public, probably no fuss. Racers on snow on T2 week + ahead of public, SR management going to have a S Show on their hands. Even if the mountain is raking in big coin from teams for early camps.

Newpylong

I was told they really are having issues with the new 20" to Jordan. What that is or if it's been resolved is unknown. Trying to get more info.

BodeMiller1

Does anyone know what the status of the Sunday River SKI BLOG. Was it for a bugs age (3.5 Years)?

bigbob

I was told they really are having issues with the new 20" to Jordan. What that is or if it's been resolved is unknown. Trying to get more info.
You mean to say that it wasn't tested prior to go time?

thebigo

that is rogue and excalibur with only the top blown, cannot see lower lollapalooza, midwinter picture from same camera below.

1698925589803.png

drjeff

Any idea if it's an issue with the 20" feeder line or the pumping system pushing the water through the line?

Guessing the crew in charge of it's installation tested everything many times over prior to now???

machski

only the tops.
T2 and Monday Morning look completed to the bottom
That's Cascade on lower half of Locke and it always looks good to go from Skiesta. Doubt it is anywhere near ready. Also looks like Upper Punch was made too at Locke.

Let's start the year in Jordan with a brand new this year main water feed! What could go wrong?? 🤣🤣. Mechanical stuff is so much fun

Newpylong

Any idea if it's an issue with the 20" feeder line or the pumping system pushing the water through the line?

Guessing the crew in charge of it's installation tested everything many times over prior to now???

Oddly the mountain's typically do not charge the systems directly upon completion of major off-season work due to demand charges. So they wait and do it later on closer to the season. Welds are usually not issues, if anything it's seals between flanges or bolts which are easily accessible. Since the 20" is buried, it would be tough to troubleshoot.

My friend doesn't have much info other than it was/is something with the 20". He said all he knows is they couldn't get the pressure up and surmises they may be running off of the old feed (the one that goes up North Peak, down into Aurora then over to Jordan) if they couldn't get it resolved. The whole thing is weird because they watered the lawn at the top of Jordan earlier in October, using the new feed AFAIK.

I am sure someone will find out at some point what the deal is. If they are running on the old feed, then the move to Locke likely was a reaction to that vs planned.

machski

Oddly the mountain's typically do not charge the systems directly upon completion of major off-season work due to demand charges. So they wait and do it later on closer to the season. Welds are usually not issues, if anything it's seals between flanges or bolts which are easily accessible. Since the 20" is buried, it would be tough to troubleshoot.

My friend doesn't have much info other than it was/is something with the 20". He said all he knows is they couldn't get the pressure up and surmises they may be running off of the old feed (the one that goes up North Peak, down into Aurora then over to Jordan) if they couldn't get it resolved. The whole thing is weird because they watered the lawn at the top of Jordan earlier in October, using the new feed AFAIK.

I am sure someone will find out at some point what the deal is. If they are running on the old feed, then the move to Locke likely was a reaction to that vs planned.
Maybe a few Donnie's stayed with n the pipe and never came back out 🤣🤣🤣

thebigo

Are the seals typically o-rings or cut gaskets?

machski

New rumor floating around town this weekend is plan a post Turkey Day open for the public at SR this year. I'll give them a pass this year, glad if they have an issue with new system they discovered it now rather than right before Xmas. If this becomes the new norm, well we'll just park that thought for now.....

bigbob

Does anybody know when the Barker 6 will be completed? Are the chairs on the line or in the storage barn or still sitting in the lay down area?

machski

Does anybody know when the Barker 6 will be completed? Are the chairs on the line or in the storage barn or still sitting in the lay down area?
The target was mid December I believe but has never been posted publicly. Will take a look tomorrow to see if chairs are hung or not, hiking the new Jordan Island Woods & Trails trail. Will peak a few spots on the way to gauge snowmaking progress over there as well. Told one has hiked and skies T2 already, report was it wasn't good, not there yet. Can't imagine Jordan fared any better then.