• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

machski

No ski/ride operations tomorrow due to the severe damage. May roll into Wednesday. Barker 6 is surrounded by water at the base, pretty sure its transformer is toast. Comp center for Gould took a direct landslide and not the building. South Ridge lodge is flooded. Almost every road has some or complete washout. Insane.

bigbob

Almost every road in and around the mountain is washed out in at least one section from reports I am gathering. The covered bridge was in danger of being washed downstream nearby as well. This storm bombed out right overhead, station pressures in Whitefield and Berlin NH went below 29" hg. Unreal...
That covered bridge has been there a long time. Historic storm for sure. Timing could not of been any worse a week before the big Christmas holiday. Mother Nature is the grinch that stole christmas in the northeast.

BodeMiller1

Sorry saw this and posted in the warm pee thread. WTF
Artist covered bridge spent lots of time
swimming there. This is hard to believe. The SR River and Bear River drain a big part of Western Maine
The river will keep rising for a while
Hope everyone in Riley Plantation is okay. A ton of camps likely full because of holidays.

Best wishes

drjeff

Starting to see some pictures of some of the damage at Sunday River on a few social media groups. Looks like both the Barker and South Ridge base areas took the worst of it with flooding and mud in many buildings, a large sink hole (someone estimated at 25 feet deep) near the base of the Chondola, and numerous washed out culverts on many roads. The Jordan area seemed to fair better. Going to wait for an offical damage report for confirmation, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Jordan may once again be where many guest services are based out of for a while. Hoping that their main snowmaking plant not too far downhill from the Barger Lodge and the Gould Academy Building faired OK. Hoping for the best for them...

Also hearing that Sugarloaf may very well be an "island" right now with bridge washout issues ... :eek::eek:

BodeMiller1

I the covered bridge is gone and I can't believe it is then Sunday River is in horrible shape. The River is pretty wide there. A good 25' above the average river height. Yea, as mentioned it's been there
They already announced that they need to make snowmaking repairs.
Yep, this could be easy. I'm worried about the lifts. They might have to have them signed the off on if the foundations were washed out. Not many get hurt from leaky pipes.
File under. We need more files. And those label printers.
Good thing the storm didn't last rather rain long.

BodeMiller1

From Sunday River to Old Speck and over to Screw Auger Falls. One of the most beautiful, natural and solitary places in the World. It goes on and on.
They'll be fine.

machski

Sugarloaf plans to reopen Thursday off the Superquad, maybe more. Resortwise, they fared much better than SR. Jordan will likely relaunch operations for SR, but I think we'll be lucky to see that by even Friday.

kbroderick

Covered bridge seems to be fine. Lots of stuff that wasn't drivable now is. There's work to be done but the immediate progress is significant.

Power is still out in town, rumor is that CMP hopes to get it back on tomorrow during daylight (and that if they don't, they'll know they need to bring in a temporary substation).

Transfer station is currently closed until further notice, which I'm sure wasn't done without a good reason, but which also creates an extra challenge for anyone with debris.

Newpylong

Hopefully their snowmaking repairs do just consist of pipes and the pumps and compressors and their drives were not exposed to water/mud in the snowflake factory. That would be very bad.

drjeff

Hopefully their snowmaking repairs do just consist of pipes and the pumps and compressors and their drives were not exposed to water/mud in the snowflake factory. That would be very bad.

Agree... And with the snowflake factory building in the general proximity of the Gould building. I am hoping that SR will have some GOOD news about their system at most having "just" some superficial pipe damage and nothing catastrophic. Fingers crossed that some of the awesome social media drone shots will show running guns very soon!

BodeMiller1

From Sunday River to Old Speck and over to Screw Auger Falls. One of the most beautiful, natural and solitary places in the World. It goes on and on.
They'll be fine.
Specifically, the Bear River above Frenchman's Hole. Huge granite pools, deep clear water. In the fall yellow leaves of birch and Beechwood. The trees are huge.

Thnx for the bridge update.

The Newry city truck stuck in the woods by the old school house....

KustyTheKlown

yea, this is pretty much a total scrap on my gorham+SR/SL/Saddleback plan.

looking like its the rut hotel, with skiing at some mix of jay, bolton, sugarbush, killington, and stratton. boring, but it seems vt got it less terribly, and will bounce back with better snowmaking and less infrastructure repair.

still have 7 diff hotels reserved for next week. first world problems.

machski

Temporary bridge is in and usable to the Summit Hotel, much of the minor washouts are patched road wise, South Ridge lower lot is already scrapped back down to pavement. Resort has said they will post a good ops update this afternoon. Now, if we could just get next week's forecast fixed, that would be great (hint, don't look. It's depressing).

Zand

yea, this is pretty much a total scrap on my gorham+SR/SL/Saddleback plan.

looking like its the rut hotel, with skiing at some mix of jay, bolton, sugarbush, killington, and stratton. boring, but it seems vt got it less terribly, and will bounce back with better snowmaking and less infrastructure repair.

still have 7 diff hotels reserved for next week. first world problems.
How did Tremblant make out with all this? Rain there too?

KustyTheKlown

How did Tremblant make out with all this? Rain there too?

i think so. as of now not worth the distance and the crowd. i'm slightly more intrigued by massif/st anne, just bc i have never been. but they also did not seem to
fare well. massif closed completely due to heavy rain. only x-factor is if it may snow there between now and 12/27?