• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River Planned opening day Monday Oct 19th

steamboat1

Wait for it .... The complaints by Killington skiers that technically they are not open because they will not be able to sustain it until they are open every day
Can't wait to see the faces of Sunday River skiers when Killington opens Sunday afternoon. And they'll stay open weather permitting. Not like the cop out Sunday River has saying daily operations not starting until November.

drjeff

Also got the email:

The day you’ve been waiting for since May 2 is here: Opening Day of the 2015-16 winter season is planned for Monday, October 19.
Every year we promise to open as early as we can. With a few days of cold weather on the horizon our snowmaking team thinks they can pull it off by Monday. All plans will depend on weather and snow conditions so make sure to check the Mountain Report for updates over the next few days, but our planned schedule will be to open for the day on Monday then move to our regular early-season lift operations of weekends-only until mid-November.

"snowmaking team thinks they can pull it off by Monday" is the caveat.....

Isn't that like saying "I *might* get laid in 5 days *if* everything works out perfectly?!?!"

Don't get me wrong, its COOL to see their passion and aggressive planning, but there's plenty that can go wrong in the next 120hrs!! Remember, 2 weeks ago we were thinking that then hurricane Joaquin was looking at a NJ/NYC area hit at 120hrs out!!!
There are just an infinite # of variable to measure in a weather system to possibly get it right!!!! ;)

Last edited:

chuckstah

Can't wait to see the faces of Sunday River skiers when Killington opens Sunday afternoon. And they'll stay open weather permitting. Not like the cop out Sunday River has saying daily operations not starting until November.
I think you are right. K will open Sunday, passholders only. I ski and like both, but have a Boyne pass due to proximity. I will enjoy skiing Monday at the River, and then Tuesday and Wednesday at K if open. Win win for all skiers! Very likely that SR opens Sunday as well. I, like you, prefer midweek skiing.

VTKilarney

That didn't take long.

yeggous

Look at the forecast for K. Won't happen.

Killington skiers often forget how much further south it is. SR skiers forget how much lower elevation it is. Wildcat skiers have neither problem, but have to wait the extra week for top to bottom and zero lift lines.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

wa-loaf

The danger of telegraphing your intent. Either way Sunday River is getting the press right now and even if Killington beats them in opening they've missed out on the marketing window.

Bostonian

The danger of telegraphing your intent. Either way Sunday River is getting the press right now and even if Killington beats them in opening they've missed out on the marketing window.

Disagree here, I think it is a win-win for all ski areas. While K may not be the first out of the gate with the marketing hype, who ever opens first, all the other areas will benefit with an uptick in interest, pre-season ticket sales and etc. At the end of the day, I am excited to see people on the snow in October, regardless which resort gets to the starting line first.

steamboat1

Can't wait to see the faces of Sunday River skiers when Killington opens Sunday afternoon. And they'll stay open weather permitting. Not like the cop out Sunday River has saying daily operations not starting until mid November.

I think you are right. K will open Sunday, passholders only.
By Golly I think I was.

yeggous

Easy decision for me. $49 at Killington and still have to earn the turns, or $29 at Sunday River without the stairway from hell. Plus T2 is a better trail than Rime.

I'm going to be staying at my ski club in North Conway on Sunday night, probably Saturday night too in case there is a sneak attack. If anyone is looking for a place to stay in area, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

I bet you they open up on Sunday morning.

I hope you are right, but I don't see the weather cooperating with that hypothesis. I don't see either Sunday River or Killington getting productive wet bulbs until after dark tomorrow. It will be a struggle to get a base down overnight.

I am sitting in my living room working in front of the fireplace to put in the mood. I am trying to get some hours in over the weekend so I can feel justified in skipping on Monday. I looks really bad to call out sick to go skiing after only two weeks on the job. Flu season came early this year.

My current plan is to cleanup the house and mow the lawn tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon I'll drive up to North Conway and perhaps hit up the Ghoullog at Cranmore tomorrow night. There should be a good of people up at my ski club hiking for the weekend so that will provide some company. I want to be up there just in case Monday River really can get their sneak attack organized. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening. More likely I will work from North Conway on Sunday. That should give me the cover I need on to hit up Monday River on Monday.

steamboat1

Not sure what the big deal about mid week is. Early season there are not enough skiers to be open midweek, and the River skiers are fine with that. Enjoy the Turns.
Funny thing is mid season there are often not enough skiers to warrant being open mid week. I'm fine with that too.

Vortex

Funny thing is mid season there are often not enough skiers to warrant being open mid week. I'm fine with that too.

One of the first thing I realized at the River is once the season gets going full throttle. IT seems many take Friday and or Monday off to make it a long weekend very frequently. No one works 5 days. I decided to try and do the same.