• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River Planned opening day Monday Oct 19th

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looks like Upper Punch in the mix as well. Two Upper Mountain trails, and one lower on October 19th would be an incredible opening.

machski

They actually posted a few on FB. Love this shot. Also blowing on all of Ecstacy off the top of Barker. I'm sure it is a long shot, but TTB off both Locke and Barker opening day mid October would be a first this early.

Attachments

• 1445187114706.jpg
    1445187114706.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 157

Newpylong

Thanks for the bigger picture. I couldn't tell if they were working on Jungle Road or Ecstasy off Barker in the smaller one. That would be an amazing opening. Even if they can't get Lower SP opemn all the way down to the base they could still run Barker Quad to give you Ecstasy.

Jully

If they're worried about a warm up at the end of the week, they might not open the Barker stuff on Monday.

machski

If it is to be as warm as some on here are professing, they will likely loose most of it. I was surprised they were making as many areas as they were being it is only October 18. If they are making the snow, it is for a reason. Way too early to think stockpile at low altitudes yet so...

Smellytele

That is better that what Ktown is offering.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Actually SR states "For your Monday morning plan: We'll be running Locke Mountain Triple at 9AM for access to T2 and possibly Upper Sunday Punch but that's still up in the air. For now, plan to download from the Locke midstation. "

yeggous

Actually SR states "For your Monday morning plan: We'll be running Locke Mountain Triple at 9AM for access to T2 and possibly Upper Sunday Punch but that's still up in the air. For now, plan to download from the Locke midstation. "

Yes, that was what they said yesterday evening. I remain hopefully that we'll get a nice surprise. In the past when downloading has been the policy, they have not made any effort to stop people from poaching all the way to the bottom. I've also been there on opening day when they were open TTB under the guns.

chuckstah

Last year on opening day was like what Yeggous said. Not technically open to the base, but a nice ribbon to within 100 yards or so of the chair, with steady skier traffic. That was on one nights work by the snowmakers. Hoping for official ttb tomorrow, and the Barker quad would be a nice bonus !

Jully

Last year on opening day was like what Yeggous said. Not technically open to the base, but a nice ribbon to within 100 yards or so of the chair, with steady skier traffic. That was on one nights work by the snowmakers. Hoping for official ttb tomorrow, and the Barker quad would be a nice bonus !

That'd be nuts if they got Barker open too. Leaves Wildcat in the dust in my book.

yeggous

That'd be nuts if they got Barker open too. Leaves Wildcat in the dust in my book.

A couple points to consider:
1) The vertical at Sunday River is equivalent to Upper and Middle Lynx. Wildcat could have opened that much terrain tomorrow if they had a lift up there. SR is nowhere near 2,100 feet vertical.

2) I'll be surprised in SR opens Barker tomorrow. It seems somewhat unlikely they would even go TTB. Grooming out the piles works against them if they are interested in opening next weekend. They are low elevation and the forecast is warm, as is typical for October.

Jully

A couple points to consider:
1) The vertical at Sunday River is equivalent to Upper and Middle Lynx. Wildcat could have opened that much terrain tomorrow if they had a lift up there. SR is nowhere near 2,100 feet vertical.

2) I'll be surprised in SR opens Barker tomorrow. It seems somewhat unlikely they would even go TTB. Grooming out the piles works against them if they are interested in opening next weekend. They are low elevation and the forecast is warm, as is typical for October.

Oh most definitely this is no where near 2100 feet of vertical. However, if SR opens TTB with Barker and Wildcat hasn't even announced a planned opening date, that's definitely advantage SR.

I agree that it's unlikely to happen tomorrow though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wildcat has made zero claims of trying to get open during this cold snap. They've specifically said they aren't even trying; just stockpiling up top to make opening happen faster once an extended cold stretch is in the forecast. So, not sure why they are in the conversation at all.

They'll be open early November, which is better than most every where else. They'll be offering 2112 vert with no liftlines. It will be a great alternative to K and SR if people want something different.

dlague

How was the skiing at SR today?

Oh that's right they weren't open....:p

Yup and I could not ski Killington either!
We're not open for public and as a result not open in my world. SR is not limited to pass holders on their first day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

Yup and I could not ski Killington either!
We're not open for public and as a result not open in my world. SR is not limited to pass holders on their first day.

By the looks of your Avatar, you're a Veteran. If so, you get a free Express Card at Killington, and you could have skied yesterday...

snowmonster

As you all know, I am half a world away and living in a place where 72F is considered cool weather. Right now, we're being lashed by another typhoon and, if all this NCP were snow, this would be an epic powder day. That said, you guys know where my heart is. If I were still in Boston, I'd be making tracks to Newry, ME and hoping to make first chair on Locke Mountain. Make turns for me. Glad to know that ski season is upon us again. Missing the River so badly!

Meanwhile, I'll be doing this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• anilao3.jpg
    anilao3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 236