• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tahoe wildfire

Edd

Didn’t want to start this thread but seeing SAT and Kirkwood under threat is heartbreaking.

KustyTheKlown

this is being discussed pretty heavily in the meanwhile in utah thread. which isn't the right thread for it, but that's where the conversation naturally took root.

BenedictGomez

Glad to hear limited damage at the resort.

Is there a story there? Those pics looked like the fire was on resort property right by lifts, unless it was crafty photography or they went DEFCON 1 and brought every air attack asset we have to bear once it got to the resort.

snoseek

My housemates out there packed up the family and headed to Disneyland. I hope they have a house to come back to. I'm not liking where the hood is situated Vs. the fire, its off of Pioneer about halfway to meyers if you're familiar with the area. Also Kirkwood is going through some serious shit tonight. These places ae very special and sacred to me and this shit is hard to watch.

Also what a fucking terrible hit for the local economy...they were probably just starting to recover from all the covid shutdown stuff and now this..smoke all summer and an evac before the holiday weekend. Tahoe deserves a couple big winters

mbedle

Is there a story there? Those pics looked like the fire was on resort property right by lifts, unless it was crafty photography or they went DEFCON 1 and brought every air attack asset we have to bear once it got to the resort.

It was interesting that the insurance company sent 4 fire truck to the property to mitigate as much risk as possible.

mbedle

It made it over to the eastern side of Kirkwood and 2.5 miles west Heavenly. Fire is throwing ambers up to a mile in front of it. During last night's update, they were discussing that they are trying to steer the fire into the Tamarack fire burn scare. They are "herding" the fire away from South Tahoe and letting the frontside burn. Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 4.48.57 AM.jpg

mbedle

Kirkwood's cam went down last night. Guessing Vail shut it down. View from Heavenly last night looking west. latest_full-2.jpg
Top of Sierra at Tahoe also not looking good, fire appears to be really close to upper lift terminal.
Unknown.jpg

jimmywilson69

I'm sure the power/data is down if this fire is basically cutting Kirkwood off from south tahoe.

this shit is crazy...

FBGM

Lots of positive reports this morning of them holding the fire line. Keeping it out of homes and the town. Fire pushing east towards heavenly and backside of the ski area. Don’t really care if it gets into ski area, homes and town are more important.

KustyTheKlown

i mostly slept thru the shit. i passed out on the couch at like 8 pm. then moved to the bed and fell asleep to the beautiful sound of heavy rain. i am one of two people to turn up to my office today, the other being the CEO - so that's a good look for me. my subway > path train route was fine this morning. and its an absolutely gorgeous day. but the footage I'm seeing from around town and the subway system last night is fuckin wild.

we live in the sunken ground floor of a brownstone, so you walk down a few steps from the sidewalk to reach our outdoor foyer and apt door. there's a drain in the foyer. many months ago that drain backed up and we flooded. a tree root had breached the pipe. thank jeebus that was fixed in a lesser rain event many months ago. our landlords are at their summer house. we would have been so fucked and on our own to protect their ridiculous home from major damage.

dblskifanatic

Not anymore unfortunately. Going to take some years for those woods to heal. Very sad.

Having lived in Colorado and seen devastating burn scars, some years is an under statement. Forest made up of fir trees do not comeback. The Hayman fire was in 2002 and it looks barren to this day. They should plant a bunch of Aspens and they will spread over time.

slatham

The west burns and we drown..oy
Sad thing is this country has no problem building transcontinental oil and gas pipelines, but water? I mean its not like the US doesn't have enough, its the distribution thats the issue. And its not going to get better.