• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tappen Zee Bridge

4aprice

Holy crap. What a nightmare this is going to be. The old span is a little shaky as it is, now being smacked by a crane.:-o Man I am sure glad I have no plans over that way this year. Imaging trying to get from NYC to the Catskills on a summer Friday night. Crossing in NYC is going to be almost impossible. I guess Newburgh is the next best bet.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

I saw this on Facebook totally will effect so many people. Specifically my dad and his gf live near Nyack and have lots if doctor appointments in NYc. I guess they take Palksides to George Washington bridges expensive. I feel terrible for anyone hurt or worse and for commuter s.
Also bear mountain bridge route 9 a .
Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

wa-loaf

Drove over it 2 weekends ago. There are a shit ton of cranes up there working on the new bridge. I remember thinking it seem like it would take much to knock a few down (there were thunderstorm warnings at the time).

steamboat1

Holy crap. What a nightmare this is going to be. The old span is a little shaky as it is, now being smacked by a crane.:-o Man I am sure glad I have no plans over that way this year. Imaging trying to get from NYC to the Catskills on a summer Friday night. Crossing in NYC is going to be almost impossible. I guess Newburgh is the next best bet.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Taconic to Rip Van Winkle.

bigbog

Glad I don't have to travel down south, through PA, for anything. Crossed over the bridge ~6yrs ago at night. Could see quite a bit of the Hudson in places, as it was...:-o

EDIT: ...but yeah, must be hundreds of bridges that sorely need maintenance, if not total replacement...around the country.

Last edited:

crank

The bridge is open except for 1 lane and I am sure it will be patched. We live about 20 minutes from there but haven't crossed in about a month. There is almost always much less traffic there than the GW bridge. They have been building the new bridge at a fast pace and it is amazing to watch the progress. The new Tappan Zee will be built and the old one taken down before Vermont finishes whatever they are doing to 91 in Brattleboro.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The amount of time that Brattleboro bridge project is taking is insane. What's it been 5 years?

steamboat1

Seven new bridges either being built or recently built near me along the Belt Pkwy. Two under construction now are larger than the bridge pictured on the left which is completed. They're one year ahead of schedule on the projects.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bridges-585x267.jpg
    bridges-585x267.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

drjeff

Send those crews to Vermont, would love to be a year ahead instead of behind

Heck, even the Deerfield bridges on 91, which were built using much of the same traffic flow theory as is being using in Brattleboro, have progressed much quicker. I fully get that the tower height on the Brattleboro bridges is probably twice that of the Deerfield bridges, but should there really be that much of the time difference? Or possibly in the bidding out, VT went with the way low ball bid and as a result all of the manpower to get it done quicker was never a possibilty??

4aprice

The bridge is open except for 1 lane and I am sure it will be patched. We live about 20 minutes from there but haven't crossed in about a month. There is almost always much less traffic there than the GW bridge. They have been building the new bridge at a fast pace and it is amazing to watch the progress. The new Tappan Zee will be built and the old one taken down before Vermont finishes whatever they are doing to 91 in Brattleboro.

Yea, the reports yesterday were that it could be down for a prolonged period. They're lucky its not as like I said it would be a night mare of epic proportions.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

When j drove on that Tapp. this past weekend to see my family in the Bronx first time ever no collection booths or Ez pass That saved my dad 6$. I assume it was because of construction.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
I hate the TZB; avoid it like the plague. Nothing good ever happens on that bridge.

One of the reasons I moved away from Westchester.