• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thanks to Hunter

kbroderick

Anybody gat any idea why Vail is selectively closing uphill traffic at their resorts?

I'm just guessing, but it probably has something to do with the level of idiocy witnessed if they don't.

The reports I saw from people who were at Stowe post-closing suggested that the amount of asshattery in the parking lots was substantial, was observed to be substantial by locals (including locals with responsibilities to do their best to keep the community healthy), and resulted in a complete closure.

Rowsdower

Because VT area mountains and Tucks were turning into shit shows with multiple Jerrys who didn't know anything about skinning or hiking on snow/ice, and probably shouldn't have even been skiing in places where no grooming/maintenance meant conditions were technical and in places dangerous even for experienced skiers and riders. And these places were getting crowded, and a lot of the people there were from out of town. Places like NYC and Boston where outbreaks were in full swing, and this was adding to the risk that the virus would find another vector into these areas. Added to the fact that these places weren't being patrolled anymore, and you have a recipe for somebody to break themselves off a piece and need rescue, when first responders really ought to be focused elsewhere, not on saving your dumbass from piling into a fence or whatever (not directed at anyone, just saying).

It's nice to see that kind of behavior not repeating at Hunter, and I'm surprised people didn't pile in there after VT and NH shutdown uphill. I guess they kept it quiet enough. Although given the risk, I think it's somewhat irresponsible.

JimG.

Staff member
Supposedly Vail wanted them to not allow it but Hunter pushed back. They’re gaining customers in my ski group by doing this. Belleayre has done nothing but piss us off this year and last. Going to spend more time at Hunter next. But I’m also surprised they’re allowing it. Belleayre has employees monitoring the access road and chasing people away. Apparently those employees are essential :thumbdown:

And I also don’t get the people who are upset about this. Cuomo wants us to go out hiking for exercise and there were far fewer people encountered at Hunter as compared to a narrow hiking trail. I talked to a friend who hiked Giant ledge yesterday and said he passed a lot of people on his way down and it made him uncomfortable. And yes I live in the area. So if you think it’s ok to go to a crowded place to hike but not to an empty place to hike and ski that makes no sense to me.

I was just coming from the surprised it's allowed angle. Good for Hunter.

Even fishing areas are uncomfortably crowded at main parking areas but with a little hiking the fishing becomes solitary. No problem staying tens of meters away from others with some effort.

Funky_Catskills

We walk over the the Northface lift base almost everyday - it makes me happy to touch snow. I'm not going to risk snowboarding - I prefer to save our volunteer rescue people for when they need to assist people in dire need - not a need caused by my selfishness to want to ride and risk injury.
I haven't seen anybody riding there. People are out sledding and stuff. But not too many. It's easy to avoid people. More people on the weekend - so we don't go there anymore on weekends. Most people on the weekends have cameras and stuff so it feels like they aren't local. I'm concerned as a resident. Rental house 2 doors down has someone with Covid19.. The day after they moved in and ambulance was there. Another 4 days later..
We don't really go anywhere and only hit the store midweek and early. Last time we were at Tops there were only 10 people shopping.

Strange mutha f'ing days...

catskillman

Seems odd that Vail is allowing access to Hunter and it also appears that you can access Wildcat (although the parking lot is closed off), but Stowe's uphill is shut down completely. I just checked and it looks like Okemo is still open to uphill access.

I doubt they are - a couple of days after closing - there was a large No Trespassing Sign in from the base lodge and another up on the snow. I can't recall the other verbege but it clearly meant no hiking, skiing, sleding etc. They did not want anyone there for sure.

My guess is the signs blew away or were "removed" by someone who wanted to trespass and say they did not know.......

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I doubt they are - a couple of days after closing - there was a large No Trespassing Sign in from the base lodge and another up on the snow. I can't recall the other verbege but it clearly meant no hiking, skiing, sleding etc. They did not want anyone there for sure.

My guess is the signs blew away or were "removed" by someone who wanted to trespass and say they did not know.......

Sign on belt Parkway...

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 64

So Inclined

The virus can travel up to 13 feet in the air and the droplets can hang around in the air for up to 4 hours.

Do you have a source for this? I haven't seen anything from scientists or serious studies to this effect.

A bunch of things can be true all at once.

I'm very surprised that Hunter and Vail are allowing this. I don't see what they get out of it. Gratifying a handful of locals is good, but if they gratify any more than a handful of them, chances are decent you get more than locals streaming in and then it becomes a problem. So why do it? As far as getting some fresh air and even a decent hike in, the trail-mile-to-Greene County resident ratio has got to be pretty good for distancing - it's not like there's nowhere else for locals to roam, especially if they know the area and stay away from typical tourist spots (e.g. Kaaterskill and North-South Lake.) The best justification I can think of is "we don't want to post employees to kick people off the mountain right now". Which isn't an awful one.

I instruct at Hunter part-time seasonal, and some of my gear is still locked up there. Would I like it back? Hell yes. Would I, as a non-local (I'm about 90 mins away, not in NYC) travel up there to get my stuff even if I knew I could? Probably not. I've been social distancing pretty well (live alone, made a few trips to stores for food, occasional jogs on quiet trails nearby) but still - I don't want to take the chance that I'm an asymptomatic carrier, and it's hardly essential that have my skis in my closet. A quick run down some dicey slush seems even less essential at this point.

If I did have my gear, would I have been tempted to take a run to the north country - maybe Tuckerman before it pretty much got shut down for the season? Definitely tempted.

I suppose I'm just as happy about the measures dissuading people like me from going up to the mountains as I am about the measures (closed parking lots and trailheads) dissuading people from the city from hiking the foothills where I live. Which is to say, it sucks and is necessary for now.

Last edited: