• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2013 Golf thread

drjeff

Someone had to start it ;)

Got round 1 of the year in yesterday at my home course. This may have been the golf off season where I did the LEAST amount of golf related stuff ever. I literally picked up a club just once between when my last round was in Mid October last year until yesterday, and that was for Mount Snow's Snow Golf Tournament about a month ago, and if you've ever tried to hit a golf ball while wearing skis, you know that it is almost nothing like playing on grass! :lol:

I went into yesterday with zero expectations, and just wanted to enjoy a nice morning on the course. And I can't complain in the end.

I slapped it around a bit on the front nine, trying to figure out the power fade I had off the tee vs. the nice controlled draw I had been hitting all last year. Hit some decent iron shots and finished the front 9 with a +5 41. Then I started to play a little golf on the back nine. Picked up birdie #1 of the year on the 16th hole (considering that this is the #1 handicap hole on my course, i'm not sure if this is a good or bad omen for the season :lol: ) Finished the back nine with a -1 35 and a 76 overall. No complaints at all :)

Warp Daddy

Awesome opening round Doc !! Look like pyou got it going on the backside . nice to start off with something that begins with a SEVEN !!
Itching to get out there but the Queen and I have been sick for 2 weeks with some never ending , nasty germ that will not quit .

Sooooon i hope !!

mriceyman

thats a sick opening round. i got out yesterday also.. it was overcast and rainy in the morning but dried up in the afternoon and i had the course to my self. shot an 87 with about 10 extra strokes either on or around the green. i did finish with 5 pars(2 of which i had 4 foot birdie putts). i love playing golf,.

xwhaler

My golf game is a shell of where it was 5 yrs ago when I had much more time at work and no child. That said, I still like to get out a few times/month from April-October if I can. I played a quick 9 holes a couple wknds ago and was terrible as I expected.
I'm heading up to the Sugarloaf Maine area over Memorial Day for a friends/family wknd at my friends lake house.
Will most likely get a round in up there which even if I play awful is still a guarantee to be an enjoyable round. I played it last Labor Day for the 1st time and what an amazing experience.

Warp Daddy

New golf terms

Some new golf terms to use when you're ;out on the course... ;

A 'Rock Hudson' - a putt that looked straight, but wasn't.

A 'Saddam Hussein' - from one bunker into another.

A 'Yasser Arafat' - butt ugly and in the sand.

A 'John Kennedy Jr.' - didn't quite make it over the water.

A 'Rodney King' - over-clubbed.

An 'O.J.'- got away with one.

A 'Princess Grace' - should have used a driver.

A 'Princess Di' - shouldn't have used the driver.

A 'Condom' - safe, but didn't feel very good.

A 'Brazilian' - shaved the hole.

A 'Rush Limbaugh' - a little to the right.

A 'Nancy Pelosi' - Way to the left and out of bounds.

A 'James Joyce' - a putt that's impossible to read.

A 'Ted Kennedy' - goes in the water and jumps out.

A 'Pee Wee Herman' - too much wrist.

A 'Sonny Bono' - straight into the trees.

A 'Paris Hilton' - a very expensive hole. ;

-- ;

jrmagic

Awesome start Doc! I'm struggling so far this year. While my ribs healed up good enough to get back on skis before the season ended, they don't seem too happy to be swinging a club properly. The only bright light is that my chipping and putting are coming along nicely.

Warp Daddy

Finally got out this am after 3 weeks in sick bay . Opening round was MEH ! 44/43/87. Hit the big stick and approaches pretty well but man that damn little stick killed me today . hit most greens in regulation but also suffered the dreaded triple and a double and a bunch o bogeys . It wil come but right now the cups are the size of a dime :smash:. Just felt great to finally get out there !

mriceyman

It takes me about 8-10 rounds to be able to putt at all.. Last time out i shot an 87 with 6 pars.. Which means i shot +17 over 12 holes including a bunch of 3 putts.. But i tell myself i cant get mad early season about putting

Sent from my iPhone

mlctvt

And from the title I thought someone bought a new car :)

Warp Daddy

A little better second round today , 44/41 /85 but blew up with another damn triple bogey ugh !!

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.

Warp Daddy

I had a big weekend Turned 70 ( free skiing at Titus now !!) AND shot a pretty decent round of 18 , 4 birds, 6 pars , a pair of 39's for a 78 . Only my 3rd round of the season , been nursing a little water on the knee issue but it is much improved and i got it braced for golf .

happy about the 78 , only my 3rd sub 80 , all since i was 69. Yrs old. Hahahaha

xwhaler

I'm heading up to the Sugarloaf Maine area over Memorial Day for a friends/family wknd at my friends lake house.
Will most likely get a round in up there which even if I play awful is still a guarantee to be an enjoyable round. I played it last Labor Day for the 1st time and what an amazing experience.

Tee time set for this coming Sunday at 8:10 at Sugarloaf! Can't wait :)
Forecast has a 60% chance of rain with wind and overcast skies with highs only reaching 47 :(

jrmagic

Still struggling this season with the full swing. The ribs are healed but my stroke got very wristy as a result of trying to generate more power when the ribs were restricting my turn and I haven't had much practice time. My best of the year stands at 85 thanks to 3 birdies and no doubles on the front for a 39-46. Things should slow down a bit for me after the next two weeks and give me time to rediscover my stroke before my handicap starts skyrocketing.

jrmagic

I had a big weekend Turned 70 ( free skiing at Titus now !!) AND shot a pretty decent round of 18 , 4 birds, 6 pars , a pair of 39's for a 78 . Only my 3rd round of the season , been nursing a little water on the knee issue but it is much improved and i got it braced for golf .

happy about the 78 , only my 3rd sub 80 , all since i was 69. Yrs old. Hahahaha

Happy belated Warp and good shooting! So when are we going to see you post that you shot your age?:cool:

Warp Daddy

Still struggling this season with the full swing. The ribs are healed but my stroke got very wristy as a result of trying to generate more power when the ribs were restricting my turn and I haven't had much practice time. My best of the year stands at 85 thanks to 3 birdies and no doubles on the front for a 39-46. Things should slow down a bit for me after the next two weeks and give me time to rediscover my stroke before my handicap starts skyrocketing.

NICE round JR for one of the walking wounded !! I'm sure that if u are scoring THAT well with sore ribs, once they heal up lower scores are in the future . Thanks for the kind words , man IF and it is a HUGE if , i EVER score my age withinn a reasonable time ;) you hear me all the way over to VT , my man ! .

Keep it on the short grass my man !

Warp Daddy

Played yesterday and today yesterday a pair of 42's for an 84 cou rse was wet in places and after a week of solid rain u got no roll at all . Played again today 43/40/83 , 9 pars , BUT. 4 fn doubles :angry:, bUT my putter saved my AZZ. Had only 34 putts for 18

drjeff

Got out for a little father's day round this morning for my 1st time on the private (South) course at Foxwoods with the father of one of my daughter's school friends. This also doubled as a practice round for when I play in the 3 day member-guest there in a few weeks :)

Classic Rees Jones course - multiple big, square, usually elevated tee boxes on every hole leading to a fairway that is often raised, but has a bunch of contour in it that makes it play narrower than its usually wide appearance from the tee. Plenty of fairway and green side bunkers and greens that are usually anything but round in shape, often oblong and going away from you and with moderate contours on them. Since Foxwoods has a bit of cash, the course is kept in immaculate shape, and frankly you'd never of guessed that about 10" of rain had fallen on the course in the last 10 days!

Kind of slashed it around on the front 9, if anything more from playing too conservative as I was getting used to the feel of the course and the significant tee/ fairway to green elevation changes and the speed of the greens - made my 3rd Ugly double of the side on #9 and ended up with a 44 on the front. Then, I started playing some golf on the back (whether or not its a coincidence that this coincided with my playing partner starting to order me a beer and himself a Vodka - Cranberry from the beverage cart girl is highly debatable! :) ) I was 2 over on the back until I had a brain fart on #18 and made my 4th double of the day after having only 70 yards to the flag, from the middle of the fairway, after my drive - chunked my wedge into a deep front bunker, caught my sand shot a bit thin and ended up with a slick, downhill, twisting 40 footer for par which I then proceeded to leave 10 feet short and then left my bogey putt on the lip :mad: Ended up with an 84. Took plenty of notes so I'll change up how I attack a few holes during the 4 rounds I'll play on the course during the member guest.

All in all, its a NICE course - a couple of very scenic downhill par 3's on the back 9 that play to greens out on a peninsula, but really aside from a hole on the front 9 where you get a view of both of the hotel towers at Foxwoods nothing that really stuck out as a "signature hole" which given the rumored 50 million dollar price tag that the Mashentucket Pequots spent to build the entire 36 hole Lake of Isles complex kind of surprised me, especially since they gave Rees Jones one impressive piece of property to work with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Warp Daddy

been playing prety well this season. Shot 79 today 40 /39 , no doubles , 6 pars and a birdie but big thrill today was a 305 yd drive , hit 16 fairwaysand had 32 putts . putting has been strong all season . been averaging under 34 putts a round so far . have dropped my average so far to 83 for the yr after 14 rounds. At 70 im happy with this . . Still trying to sharpen the accuracy of the final approach