• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The AlpineZone Battle Royal

2knees

I was staying out of this silliness. But I can't resist tossing this one off: Who else is going skiing this coming Sunday besides me? Just wanted a show of hands regarding who is still skiing. Bump skiers take note: Hillman's and Left Gully have lots of bumps. Which is why I may be avoiding them.

In all seriousness, I would like to hear from bump skiers that have skied serious steep terrain such as Tuckerman Ravine and other such Mount Washington gullies that are consistently between 35-40 degrees almost the entire route and in many cases steeper. I would like to hear from bump skiers who have done so and whether they prefer skiing that type of pitch with or without moguls. Bumps are cool but it is all about the right time and the right place. If you haven't carved huge high speed arcs down a 35-40 degree gully, you just wouldn't understand :D

I've skied Motts at Heavenly and some stuff at kirkwood that made my sphincter pucker. It is what it is. Personally I prefer bumps. To each his own.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I was staying out of this silliness. But I can't resist tossing this one off: Who else is going skiing this coming Sunday besides me? Just wanted a show of hands regarding who is still skiing. Bump skiers take note: Hillman's and Left Gully have lots of bumps. Which is why I may be avoiding them.

In all seriousness, I would like to hear from bump skiers that have skied serious steep terrain such as Tuckerman Ravine and other such Mount Washington gullies that are consistently between 35-40 degrees almost the entire route and in many cases steeper. I would like to hear from bump skiers who have done so and whether they prefer skiing that type of pitch with or without moguls. Bumps are cool but it is all about the right time and the right place. If you haven't carved huge high speed arcs down a 35-40 degree gully, you just wouldn't understand :D

I am in no way a bump skier, damn, I'm barely a skier. But, one thing I have to say, the bumps on Hillman's were sweet last weekend! Just bring some butter for all that sweet corn! :)

normal_P1010096.JPG

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep

Serious terrain like Tuckerman's??? :lol: :lol: :lol: 35-40 degrees??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've skied terrain that makes that sound like child's play. Oh wait... that's because it is!

Um, I've skied sustained pitches of 45-55 degrees, with cliff bands, big rocks, nasty trees, etc. I'd rather ski it without moguls, personally. But it's still not even half as fun as a solid 22-35 degree bump run.

Greg... why would you say bump skiers here are arrogant? I mean... we are the best skiers on the mountain, but that's not arrogance, it's just fact! :wink:

awf170

Serious terrain like Tuckerman's??? :lol: :lol: :lol: 35-40 degrees??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've skied terrain that makes that sound like child's play. Oh wait... that's because it is!

Um, I've skied sustained pitches of 45-55 degrees, with cliff bands, big rocks, nasty trees, etc. I'd rather ski it without moguls, personally. But it's still not even half as fun as a solid 22-35 degree bump run.

Where?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was going under the assumption that most AZ skiers wouldn't have the technical skills or prowess to handle the more challenging 50+ degree aspects of Tuckerman. Most AZ bump skiers probably could not handle the easier 35-40 degree pitches of the Ravine's easier terrain... at least not without being covered in bumps that make the angle less severe and provide a speed decreasing obstacle to prevent oneself from pissing their pants.

:beer:

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep

chutes3.jpg

That was one of my favorites. One of the chutes at the Jane. My favorite line was right about in the middle of that pic. Actually, a little to the left of the middle. Averages between 48 and 55 somewhere, IIRC. Good stuff.

But I skied some real serious terrain at the Jane, A-Basin, heck... even Monarch has some sustained 40-45 degree in-bounds runs. It's a whole different lift-served world out here, folks.

Riv, apparently you underestimate the abilities of a true bump skier. Someday you'll all learn............ :wink:

I was going under the assumption that most AZ skiers wouldn't have the technical skills or prowess to handle the more challenging 50+ degree aspects of Tuckerman. Most AZ bump skiers probably could not handle the easier 35-40 degree pitches of the Ravine's easier terrain... at least not without being covered in bumps that make the angle less severe and provide a speed decreasing obstacle to prevent oneself from pissing their pants.

You're not giving us enough credit..alot of AZers..myself included have spent lots of time skiing the steeps of the Rockies. We're not all gapers..lol

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Oh, btw... the Mary Jane chutes are considered "Extreme Terrain," as defined by the Colorado Ski Safety Act.

Minimum requirements for "Extreme Terrain:"

(3.1) "Extreme terrain" means any place within the ski area boundary that contains cliffs with a minimum twenty-foot rise over a fifteen-foot run, and slopes with a minimum fifty-degree average pitch over a one-hundred-foot run.

snoseek

chutes3.jpg

That was one of my favorites. One of the chutes at the Jane. My favorite line was right about in the middle of that pic. Actually, a little to the left of the middle. Averages between 48 and 55 somewhere, IIRC. Good stuff.

But I skied some real serious terrain at the Jane, A-Basin, heck... even Monarch has some sustained 40-45 degree in-bounds runs. It's a whole different lift-served world out here, folks.

Riv, apparently you underestimate the abilities of a true bump skier. Someday you'll all learn............ :wink:

That is some pretty crazy stuff over there. It actually kind of made my knees shake a little. Parts of Pali scare me a little too.

You wouldn't beleive how buried wp/mj still is right now!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
You wouldn't beleive how buried wp/mj still is right now!

Oh I know. I'm actually in Grand Junction at the Rocky Mountain Lift Association (RMLA) conference right now, and was chatting with a maintenance guy from Steamboat. He said they have a settled mid mountain base of 120ish inches at their snowstake. Unbelievable.

snoseek said:
That is some pretty crazy stuff over there. It actually kind of made my knees shake a little. Parts of Pali scare me a little too.

It scared me a little the first time. Then I realized that it wasn't even as difficult as a lot of the bump skiing I do at MJ!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Here's another shot from the top of a rather skinny chute. I'd like you ALL to take note of the fact that I was skiing 50+ degree slopes and dropping cliffs/rocks in my bump skis. :lol:

chutes1.jpg

snoseek

Personally I think there is a lot of good steep overlooked bump trails on the Winter Park side and in the eagle wind area. There was a couple really sweet Mogul runs of the side of vasquez ridge that seemed to be powder bumps all season every day.

snoseek

Here's another shot from the top of a rather skinny chute. I'd like you ALL to take note of the fact that I was skiing 50+ degree slopes and dropping cliffs/rocks in my bump skis. :lol:

chutes1.jpg

Is this off the Cirque before the eagle wind area?

mondeo

Admitted, I haven't gone to Tuck's or out West, but there isn't a trail I've seen in the lift-served East that gives me pause, including the Wall at Holiday Valley (38 degrees.) And that's with skinny bump skis with 2° base and 0° side bevels. You guys have to fall back on edges to do your work for you.

awf170

but there isn't a trail I've seen in the lift-served East that gives me pause, including the Wall at Holiday Valley (38 degrees.) .

Holy crap man are you X-treme!!! Can I touch you?! So how many vertical feet is it 38 degrees for? 10? Maybe 20?

(Remember this thread is still a joke. I'm completely screwing around.)

mondeo

Holy crap man are you X-treme!!! Can I touch you?! So how many vertical feet is it 38 degrees for? 10? Maybe 20?

(Remember this thread is still a joke. I'm completely screwing around.)

150, actually. Not a great distance, but still long enough that you need to know what you're doing.

I've also been on a significantly steeper trail there, called Half Pipe Side.