• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The AlpineZone Battle Royal

mondeo

Well, they're after a few hundred feet of flats in the picture. And in all fairness, the last time I skied it was probably 10 years ago in middle school. And the only reference I could find on my first pass for lower Ovation said 31 degrees. However,
overview800.jpg

...looks to me like it's in the 38-39° regime. Don't care if there are bumps on it or not, I'll ski it.

Admitted, I haven't gone to Tuck's or out West, but there isn't a trail I've seen in the lift-served East that gives me pause, including the Wall at Holiday Valley (38 degrees.) And that's with skinny bump skis with 2° base and 0° side bevels. You guys have to fall back on edges to do your work for you.

Are you kidding??? The 38 degree run at Holiday Valley...lol..is avalanche gear required?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
http://www.matlack.com/hv1/0057.html

You mean this wall? are you kidding me?
LOL. mondeo man, nothing lift serviced is that steep once you start skiing stuff where the rise is higher than the run (i.e. 45+). I think salida said it best when he wrote it ain't steep until you can reach straight out behind you and touch the snow while you are skiing, or something like that. The highest consistent lift serviced pitch in the east is barely over thirty degrees.

Though admittedly, I am talking out my ass on this one because I haven't skied Holiday Valley yet, so maybe it is the knar.

:p:)

2knees

yeah yeah yeah. You can ass-ume all you want. I'll ass-ume that you super gnar kitchen wall pro freeskiers gape the snot out of even the most mellow bump runs. Skis flailing, head bobbing, cant stay in a line blah blah blah.

snoseek

Yeah that seeded bump run at Loon is so core.......

tjf67

2knees

Your avatar resembles a handicaped skier in one of those chairs with the mono ski.

cbcbd

turn earners end up with much better pictures.

How can you compare something like this
IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

To these:
P1020134.jpg

P1010999-1.jpg

tjf67

turn earners end up with much better pictures.

How can you compare something like this
IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

To these:
P1020134.jpg

P1010999-1.jpg

I have lots of pictures like those from lift serviced areas. Try again please. How often do you wash your clothes. Are you one of the skinky walkeruppers

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll be the first to admit that even though bumps were my first love, I'd choose the stuff I see in the BC TRs in a heartbeat IF I could take a lift to those areas. It's clearly far superior terrain than anything lift accessed in the east. That said, I don't have all that much time to ski, so when I go, I want to be spending time skiing, not hiking/touring/skinning etc. I think that's why Stowe has always been my favorite ski area in the East. It's only a 45 minute hike to the top of the Chin and from there you can access terrain that at least comes close to some of the lines in the Whites. I spent a ton of time in the notch by hiking over from the top of the Gondola and have skied most lines along the ridge between the Chin and the Nose. That said, if there wasn't a lift to get me 80% of the way up there I wouldn't have skied any of it.

Call me lazy, call me whatever. The bottomline is I'd rather spend my day skiing than hiking. This said, I do plan on at least one Washington trip next year, maybe more.

2knees

Your avatar resembles a handicaped skier in one of those chairs with the mono ski.

thats cause i suck at skiing.

wait that would insult the people who have the guts and determination to ski with physical handicaps.

jack97

What you posted are teasers.....

I call these legit bump runs; deep troughs or steep enuf that it can hide half of the little guys.

IMG_0043.jpg

or bumps runs that can stretch it for a while.

IMG_0048.JPG

Last edited:

tcharron

Yeah that seeded bump run at Loon is so core.......

That wasn't intentionally seeded tho.. Side affect of running over the boarders sitting in a line across the trails. Might as well blow snow over 'em and make good of a bad situation.. :)