• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Glen & The Beast at Belleayre

Rob A

I've been taking a handful of trips every season for the past 6 years or so to Belleayre, my favorite resort in the Catskills.

I've always wondered when "The Beast" is actually running. I ask ski patrol nearly every time I go "Is the beast running to bring skiers out to cathedral brook?" and always get the usual "nope, sorry" in return. I'm curious, has anyone ever actually seen the beast running? I have never even seen the thing. It would be really nice without having to hike a considerable distance to reach Cathedral Brook.

Also, there has been a glade trail, known as The Glen, listed on the trail map for as long as I can remember. However, it is never open. In a year where there received 8 feet of snow in a single storm, it is still listed as closed. I wonder what it takes to open a trail like this? Has anyone ever actually skied it or seen it open ever?

I'm just curious, figured maybe some fellow skiers here to shed some light on the subject.

ta&idaho

I've been taking a handful of trips every season for the past 6 years or so to Belleayre, my favorite resort in the Catskills.

I've always wondered when "The Beast" is actually running. I ask ski patrol nearly every time I go "Is the beast running to bring skiers out to cathedral brook?" and always get the usual "nope, sorry" in return. I'm curious, has anyone ever actually seen the beast running? I have never even seen the thing. It would be really nice without having to hike a considerable distance to reach Cathedral Brook.

vs.

Perhaps this is the explanation:

Belleayre, NY 01/16/10 -- THE BEAST!
by jamesdeluxe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:09 am

Saturday was Press Day at Belleayre . . . .

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
I too have ridden the beast. The walk out to the top of Cat Brook isn't that bad.

I saw the beast parked behind Sunset Lodge. Maybe it is broken and the driver or mechanics were laid off already or working lifts instead.

I know people who skied the Glen this past weekend, off Cat Brook, even though it was roped off.

I asked both days if that tour to Pine Hill was actually scheduled. I know a guy that has done it a few times. Maybe they will really do it someday...

The skiing on mountain was great anyway, if you could avoid Sunday's lines.

Let's ski until Tax Day!

Last edited:

bch224

beast ran a few days there back in january, but agree there seems to be no rhyme or reason, i have been told by a ski patrol that glen needs a bunch of work to clear out down trees before they would consider opening it

Bandit2941

The beast has been running quite a bit this season and last but it is currently broken (it had a small electrical fire). Last I knew it was parked behind the summit lodge.

As far as the Glen, I have seen it open in the past but not this year. There is some dead fall out there so that could be why they haven't opened it this year.

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
Ahh fellas fellas I can't be the only one that thinks the beast is a joke, right?
Beautiful trees, powder, AND solitude, I'd walk 30 min for that let alone 5!
It is a very short and moderate walk, fitness that every tree skier needs to have for their own safety.
You gotta paint the fence and wax the car before you can start crane kicking folks.

kingslug

The beast keeps breaking down and is a mother to fix...so they don't bother. You want trees...hike. cathedral isn't much of a run since they cleared the runout. i used to walk out of there and then it was more of an adventure.

legalskier

I rode the Beast last season to the top of Cathedral Brook. When it isn't running I ski Roaring Brook to Cat Brook and go through the gate.
We skied the Glen last Friday in 6" of freshies; it was a blast. (Better snow there than Killington the following two days.)

ERJ-145CA

I've been at Belleayre many times over the years, it's usually my early/late season mountain, I've never seen The Beast running but I'm usually only there on weekdays, also never skied Cathedral Brook.

BTW, Belleayre yesterday was like being transported back in time two months. It was mid-winter conditions, simply awesome.

Rob A

I've been at Belleayre many times over the years, it's usually my early/late season mountain, I've never seen The Beast running but I'm usually only there on weekdays, also never skied Cathedral Brook.

BTW, Belleayre yesterday was like being transported back in time two months. It was mid-winter conditions, simply awesome.
I was there on Monday as well, the cold temps definitely gave it a mid winter feel, although I wasn't a fan of the wind.

legalskier

The 'Cats are expecting 7"-9" by tomorrow. Plattekill's website says possibly 12".

k123

The 'Cats are expecting 7"-9" by tomorrow. Plattekill's website says possibly 12".

Hoping to hit Belleayre on Sunday. Wasn't originally planning to but I can't resist having packed powder conditions with all the glades open in april. The conditions last weekend were awesome. I went down Cathedral Brook once from the top, the top half (before the spot where roaring brook meets it) was really nice with some powder and small moguls, but the lower half was a little bit icy (due to easier access from people not willing to hike), but still fun. The flat runout at the bottom was interesting; there was two small creeks that had cut a channel through the snow that you had to jump to clear. Let it snow :snow: