• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Lady gap - Blue Plateau

skivideoguy

Before I get in trouble here, I'm just describing my situation and wondering if other husband/wife ski teams have a similar issue. Not saying the girls can't ski...

I'm turning 50 in a couple of days. Wife beat my there by a few weeks. We have both been skiing for 30 years. Some years more than others. Home hills are Blue Mountain, Camelback and Elk and get to Sugarbush every year for the past 14 or so and some years Stowe, Killington, Smuggs etc. and one trip west to Utah a few years ago.

We ski with a couple of other couples and there is a gap in ability levels which we would like to close so we (the boys) don't have to spend so much time on groomed blue trails. Girls don't do bumps, don't do black diamonds unless the planets really align, never venture in the woods and don't really like it when there is alot of snow and they can't see their skis.

Any other couples facing this issue and what do you think is the best way to close that gap?

My thoughts...Ladies mid-week trip or even home mountain multi-day clinic with other ladies working to beat the blue plateau. Even if it's just a 2 hour morning lesson first thing, then free ski and lunch then maybe another 90 minutes in mid-afternoon. Any mountains listening? Having that and then a happy hour to review some video footage and some snacks would be great. Make it cheap on Mondays. It would payoff big if that gap closes, in more days on snow, more money on equipment etc. etc.

Vermont - you have the Long Trail. The year we section hiked all of the NJ App. Trail we started the year with the best legs we ever had. I know I progressed alot that year and my wife was better as well. Promote some off season training weekends with hikes on the Long Trail. Sugarbush to MRG with a happy hour and shuttle service. Stowe to Smuggs with transportation.

Other thoughts? Again, not trying to start a fight. Just ski more.

4aprice

Interesting problem. I guess I'm lucky in that my wife is a pretty good skier, still she won't do steeper bumps and tends to stay away from the woods. (she has no problem with groomed steeps) We just work it out where we seperate for some runs or sections of a run and meet up at trail intersections or the lift. Living in North Jersey my home hills are the same as yours (pass holders at Camelback). Camelback has a great lower angle bump run called Lower Cleopatra (last season a snowmaking pipe problem wiped out L Cleo bumps but expect them again this year) which the wife will actually do and have fun but you won't catch her up on Asp, Tunk at Elk or Challange at Blue. (she has had fun on Barney's at Blue as well). Clinics are a good idea but I've never really seen them up on these local mountains. I can tell you that on weekday mornings Camelback is like a privite club and a very relaxed atmosphere which might help with a confidence factor. Guess I really don't have a solution outside of get out as much as you can and practice, practice, practice. Good luck.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

HowieT2

I think you're tilting at windmills.
the wife and I are 45. she was a typical recreational skier until she did womans turn clinic at sugarbush about 5 years ago. 4 days girls only. it was great. she loved it. she got a lot better and she is totally hard core into the skiing thing now. However, there is still a gap because she doesnt venture into the woods more because of her mind set than any lack of ability. she could if she wanted to. she'll do any groomed trail but only does bumps as you said, when the stars are aligned.
The way I've tried to address the situation, because she wants to ski with me, is that I do her thing when the conditions arent good for woods/bumps or a run here and there after Ive had my fun. for instance, I'll go out early ski, then meet her for lunch and ski 1 run with her before blowing her off again. but I dont know her on powder days.
good luck.

drjeff

The answer that my wife and I have arrived at is pretty simple. She's a very strong skier as am I. I like to ski different types of terrain generally than she does and that's fine. What we've elvolved to in our skiing "relationship" over the years is that while we may be skiing on the same pod of terrain at the same time, quite often we're on different trails. If there's a good bump or tree run, i'm likely to be found on it while she's more likely to be on a groomed steep cruiser nearby.

She can do the trees and/or bumps and has taken many specialty clinics (and knows that anytime she wants to she can take some more specialty clinics, but the reality is that her "comfort level" and terrain enjoyment characteristics are different than mine, and we've come to the mutual descision that she doesn't want to feel like she's holding me back from choosing a run and I don't want to feel like i'm pressuring her onto a run that will push her past her comfort zone, so we just agree to meet back down at the base of the lift, and know that if either of us is more than a minute or 2 later than we'd expect the other to be there that we're on our phones checking in. This way we BOTH derrive a greater sense of enjoyment on the hill that day

skivideoguy

I will check the date on this year's clinic at SB as we might likely be there that week. More thoughts tonight as I gotta go do some work but thanks for chiming in. I like the picture. I like Birch as a first run ripping the cord as it glistens in the sun like diamonds.

ts01

This, for her: http://www.madriverglen.com/skischool/?Page=women.php

And /or this, for you: http://www.madriverglen.com/telemark/?Page=2skischool.php

Here's why.

1 - For her: yeah, you can take women's clinics a lot of places. And when I was learning to ski I took lessons and clinics at a lot of places. But committing to some time at Mad River will definitely give a greater return on lessons because the terrain and conditions will lead a skier into using the new skills. Note, the concept is "leading" the skier not "forcing" her ... there's plenty of gentle and groomed learning terrain at MRG; and there's plenty of people who are upping their skills. "Ski it if you can" does not mean experts only, it's an invitation.

2 - For you: you'd pick up tele skiing in a day or so and (a) it's a fun challenge to learn the turn, (b) it feels good (why else would people do it?), (c) it would slow you down to ski the wife's speed and preferred conditions, and (d) it makes little mountains (i.e., your home hills) feel big again.

3 - You already go to Sugarbush so you probably know and like the area - it's right next door if you want to bail on MRG for a day or two.

OR, closer to home: http://www.telemarknato.com/schedule.html -- has a Feb 2/3 clinic at Elk. I took the 2-day NATO clinic my first season on tele gear - came into it as a very wobbly beginner with 2 self-taught telemark days, and came out of it able to ski anything on tele gear that I could on alpine, with about 80-90% of alpine confidence and speed .

AdironRider

All these suggestions for clinics and what have you are fine if you just want to blow cash.

They are useless unless you start skiing more ... and not at Blue Hills or Elk. That is the one and only way you are going to get the ladies better.

You can take a clinic, but unless you are increasing the amount of time on snow and the challenge of runs, its going to be a complete waste of money, outside of bragging rights, which it sounds like they don't give a shit about in the first place.

steamboat1

My wife skied for 25 years & never got above intermediate level. She took many classes over the years & skied as much as I did (about 25 days a year back then). She was just a cautious skier & never let them rip. She gave up skiing about 4 years ago & has no problem with me going as often as I can knowing I love the sport. I'm always envious when I see a couple & they're both good skiers. Wish I had that & can understand others wanting the same.

Huck_It_Baby

Funny because I have a problem with my girlfirend and the ability level but it's not that she won't do diamonds, bumps or anything else. The problem is that she follows me EVERYWHERE even when her ability level might not be up to par.

We met last summer and she started skiing this past season with me. Winter comes, she buys new skis and after a couple warm up days she is bombing double blacks, strait-lining icy head walls and skiing tight, steep, powder trees lines.

I am always so freakin' worried she is going to get hurt but she wipes out hard, smacks her head (helmet on of course) catches tips on roots in the woods, double ejects and the WHOLE time she is SMILING and loving it.

She doesn't have much fear and isn't afraid to hike for turns out of bounds! I'm sure that in another season she is going to be one of the most rippin' skiiers I know.

HowieT2

All these suggestions for clinics and what have you are fine if you just want to blow cash.

They are useless unless you start skiing more ... and not at Blue Hills or Elk. That is the one and only way you are going to get the ladies better.

You can take a clinic, but unless you are increasing the amount of time on snow and the challenge of runs, its going to be a complete waste of money, outside of bragging rights, which it sounds like they don't give a shit about in the first place.

like I said before, I think its more of an attitude than ability. mine skis 40 days a year. she could do whatever she wants to do skillwise. she just doesnt want to ski faster, or in the woods. maybe a shot of testosterone would change that. a good analogy is driving a car. its not that she can't drive as fast and aggressively as I like to, she just doesnt want to.

HowieT2

Funny because I have a problem with my girlfirend and the ability level but it's not that she won't do diamonds, bumps or anything else. The problem is that she follows me EVERYWHERE even when her ability level might not be up to par.

We met last summer and she started skiing this past season with me. Winter comes, she buys new skis and after a couple warm up days she is bombing double blacks, strait-lining icy head walls and skiing tight, steep, powder trees lines.

I am always so freakin' worried she is going to get hurt but she wipes out hard, smacks her head (helmet on of course) catches tips on roots in the woods, double ejects and the WHOLE time she is SMILING and loving it.

She doesn't have much fear and isn't afraid to hike for turns out of bounds! I'm sure that in another season she is going to be one of the most rippin' skiiers I know.

marry her. all that will end soon. jk

Riverskier

Sounds like a keeper!

AdironRider

she just doesnt want to.

There is your answer then.

I would still argue that you need to get her out more, if anything just so she gets bored skiing only blues.

That being said, you mentioned she skis 25 times a year, but you also mentioned that the majority of those days are at places like Blue Hills, Elk, ETC.

Those hills are composed of glorified beginner runs. Get her up North consistently and I bet you'll see a change in her ways. She might not be charging double fall line, cliffed out, tree runs, but Im willing to bet she'll step it up a bit more.

2knees

This sounds like a job for BDFreetuna....

wonder how that relationship is going.

4aprice

That being said, you mentioned she skis 25 times a year, but you also mentioned that the majority of those days are at places like Blue Hills, Elk, ETC.

Those hills are composed of glorified beginner runs. Get her up North consistently and I bet you'll see a change in her ways. She might not be charging double fall line, cliffed out, tree runs, but Im willing to bet she'll step it up a bit more.

Not to be picky but its Blue Mountain not Blue Hills, and as far as being glorified beginner runs take a few runs down Tunkannock at Elk, Challange at Blue, or Asp at Camelback and I would bet you would come away with a much different opinion. They may not be the Alps, Rockies or Northern Vermont but they certainly are more then enough to hone ones skills. I've skied for almost 50 years all over the US and Europe and still ski the Pocono's 40+ days a year. Going up north or out west is nice but nothing is better then more and more time on the snow and the OP is from this region and would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

HowieT2

There is your answer then.

I would still argue that you need to get her out more, if anything just so she gets bored skiing only blues.

you're mixing people up. my wife does 40 days a year at sugarbush and is on blacks as long as they are groomed. I've taken her into the woods and believe me, it is not pretty, not because she doesnt have the skills to do it, she just doesnt have the attitude and desire. and fwiw-I'm not unhappy with the situation and neither is she. and for the record, last season it was when I was skiing with her that I tore my acl. much safer dodging trees and snow snakes on my own.

x10003q

All guys closing in on 50 should be thankful their wives even ski. If your wives have not yet joined you on the black trails you like by now, its not happening.

In fact, your wives are saying the same thing on the diva forum - " When is he going to stop skiing all those stupid scary back diamond trails? Is there anything I can do to slow him down? We are not getting any younger!":-D