• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Market's impact on skiing

Maksim

Here is my professional take on it, and what the economists, and analysts that come to my office tell me.

First, didnt mention this yet, but I am a wealth manager/financial advisor with the biggest bank in the world as far as assets, Swiss, 3 letters, along the lines of you and us. :wink:

Moe, you are right in regards to what is happening with the stock market, excessive fear, that caused deleveraging and margin calls.

What most people fail to realize, is that the stock market, and the economy, while related, are not the same. In the long term, the stock market will reflect the fundamentals of the companies as a result of the economy. In the short term, the stock market reacts as a popularity contest. What was excessive greed in 1999-2000, fear in 2000-2002, turned to greed from 2002-2007. Now we are in the fear stage...

Housing market fueld by subprime lending encouraged by democrats under later clinton years --------Leads to------> Greed by shareholders (Investment Banks leverage housing loans.--------Leads to-------> Bubble busts-------> Investment banks have to take writedowns----->Financial stocks take a hit----->500 Billion in writedowns leads to at least $5 trillion in credit taken out of the system----> Short term libor rates shoot up----->Hedge funds have to delever (Since they would borrow dirt cheap at say 3%, and invest in bonds that pay 5%, they would borrow money to invest, since the rate they borrow is based on LIBOR, it shot up and they had to now pay between 6 to 10%, meanwhile their bonds kept paying 5%, so they had to sell the assets (bonds, stocks) to repay the money they borrowed) This further forces more sales, and causes stock prices to drop. This causes more fear, and average investors fuel the fire and sell sell sell. Then what we had lately, is the common people who would borrow and buy on margin.... since the collateral is down in value, they had to liquidate holdings to pay the margin loan back, which causes even more sell sell sell.

Fundamentally, the economy is strong, people are still making money, the only sectors that realllly got hit, is financials. The rest of the economy is still ok. We just reported a gdp drop, finally for the first time, of -0.3%.

Pretty much every financial company/bank has already delevered, wrote down. Hedge funds are doing so now and will probly close down soon. general corporations, like Coke, etc... they went through this in 2001 (Enron days), and the health of the corporate balance sheets is very good. My personal opinion is on regional banks (which are now backstopped), smaller insurance companies, and defnitely the automotives. (auto's were hit with both, crappy sales, tighter lending standards, and the whole mess with artificially inflated residual values.) the next shoe to drop is automotives (which will probly be bailed out), and commercial real estate.

Most recessions, which by the way are NORMAL AND HEALTHY, are caused by over-supply, and minimal demand. This recession is caused by housing that got out of hand, that led to financials, that spread into the consumer. Supplies are still very lean.

Stock market rally today, which may fade by 3pm or go up another 500 points, is like someone said before, market looks 6 month ahead. Rally today was that the GDP of -0.3% is better than we expected.

As far as my own personal feelings...

the bailout was needed. Not the most popular choice, but was needed. More financials were going to collapse, the credit markets were frozen. Trust me, Wall St, has everything to do with main street. If we did not pass the act, depression would be certain.

The reason why this is not the depression, is unlike in the 30's... the government is doing everything to help unfreeze the markets. In the 30's, Hoover and Roosevelt RAISED TAXES!!!!

Now while we are investing money now in the banks... it is so that it relieves the fear of them going bust. AS LONG AS THERE IS FEAR THAT A BANK MAY GO BUST, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BORROW A PENNY! Businesses depend on short term borrowing for daily needs. As far as we see on this end, it is working. Libor coming down, and banks are beginning to lend.

There will be a recession, in one now, but we dont officially know until we are usually out of it.

Unemployment will go up, probly to as high as 9%, especially if Obama gets elected. I know from my clients that are business owners, they will be laying off workers, if taxes go up even one bit, particuarly if economy is in a slowdown.

As far as how it relates to ski resorts...biggest thing will be consumer demand. I see it two ways. Obviously I am not an analyst, tried contacting one here that specializes in it, but couldnt find one avail right now.

Energy costs are going to be down from where we expected them to be. Gas prices will be around here. Now, near certainty of a global slowdown, demand is down, big time, and all of the speculators that caused the shot up to $147.50 are out of the game. (deleveraging, closing of hedge funds).

Me, I stopped going to atlantic city and starting to go skiing more. With gas prices in the low $2.30's here in jersey, dont mind driving to a ski resort. In fact, I am more likely to go skiing, then flying somewhere.

As someone said, a Stay-Cation, is great. If the ski resorts play it right, with specials, ala Blue Mountain, $29 days, $20 on sunday after 4, I am game!

People who would go on a big vacation are more likely to go local, and stay in PA/VT/NY, for half the price. Hardcore skiers will go no matter what. The biggest question mark is people new to sport, or who think skiing is out of their price range. If resorts push the $50 (pass/rental/lesson) deals, it would bring new people to sport.

Think supply and demand, they have to run a min number of lifts no matter what, drop the price to get the maximum capacity for the fixed costs to get full efficiency, if there is increase supply, start raising prices from that level.... so its the 100 people at $50 or 10 people you would attract at $100. If you have the mountain to run, and the crew is there, you are paying them no matter what, might as well have people go. Lastly, they have to prey for good snow. =P

Not to sound mean, but they can probly decrease wages, in light of economic slowdown, to lower the costs, or offset wages, with benefits, ie deals on passes, or friend passes etc.

Sorry took up so much, but hopefully that clarifies it a bit, let me know if you want me to go in depth on any of the sections.

fyi... for this year, I am actually planning a client event where I charter a bus and go skiing. =P

Moe Ghoul

Here is my professional take on it, and what the economists, and analysts that come to my office tell me.

First, didnt mention this yet, but I am a wealth manager/financial advisor with the biggest bank in the world as far as assets, Swiss, 3 letters, along the lines of you and us. :wink:

Moe, you are right in regards to what is happening with the stock market, excessive fear, that caused deleveraging and margin calls.

What most people fail to realize, is that the stock market, and the economy, while related, are not the same. In the long term, the stock market will reflect the fundamentals of the companies as a result of the economy. In the short term, the stock market reacts as a popularity contest. What was excessive greed in 1999-2000, fear in 2000-2002, turned to greed from 2002-2007. Now we are in the fear stage...

Housing market fueld by subprime lending encouraged by democrats under later clinton years --------Leads to------> Greed by shareholders (Investment Banks leverage housing loans.--------Leads to-------> Bubble busts-------> Investment banks have to take writedowns----->Financial stocks take a hit----->500 Billion in writedowns leads to at least $5 trillion in credit taken out of the system----> Short term libor rates shoot up----->Hedge funds have to delever (Since they would borrow dirt cheap at say 3%, and invest in bonds that pay 5%, they would borrow money to invest, since the rate they borrow is based on LIBOR, it shot up and they had to now pay between 6 to 10%, meanwhile their bonds kept paying 5%, so they had to sell the assets (bonds, stocks) to repay the money they borrowed) This further forces more sales, and causes stock prices to drop. This causes more fear, and average investors fuel the fire and sell sell sell. Then what we had lately, is the common people who would borrow and buy on margin.... since the collateral is down in value, they had to liquidate holdings to pay the margin loan back, which causes even more sell sell sell.

Fundamentally, the economy is strong, people are still making money, the only sectors that realllly got hit, is financials. The rest of the economy is still ok. We just reported a gdp drop, finally for the first time, of -0.3%.

Pretty much every financial company/bank has already delevered, wrote down. Hedge funds are doing so now and will probly close down soon. general corporations, like Coke, etc... they went through this in 2001 (Enron days), and the health of the corporate balance sheets is very good. My personal opinion is on regional banks (which are now backstopped), smaller insurance companies, and defnitely the automotives. (auto's were hit with both, crappy sales, tighter lending standards, and the whole mess with artificially inflated residual values.) the next shoe to drop is automotives (which will probly be bailed out), and commercial real estate.

Most recessions, which by the way are NORMAL AND HEALTHY, are caused by over-supply, and minimal demand. This recession is caused by housing that got out of hand, that led to financials, that spread into the consumer. Supplies are still very lean.

Stock market rally today, which may fade by 3pm or go up another 500 points, is like someone said before, market looks 6 month ahead. Rally today was that the GDP of -0.3% is better than we expected.

As far as my own personal feelings...

the bailout was needed. Not the most popular choice, but was needed. More financials were going to collapse, the credit markets were frozen. Trust me, Wall St, has everything to do with main street. If we did not pass the act, depression would be certain.

The reason why this is not the depression, is unlike in the 30's... the government is doing everything to help unfreeze the markets. In the 30's, Hoover and Roosevelt RAISED TAXES!!!!

Now while we are investing money now in the banks... it is so that it relieves the fear of them going bust. AS LONG AS THERE IS FEAR THAT A BANK MAY GO BUST, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BORROW A PENNY! Businesses depend on short term borrowing for daily needs. As far as we see on this end, it is working. Libor coming down, and banks are beginning to lend.

There will be a recession, in one now, but we dont officially know until we are usually out of it.

Unemployment will go up, probly to as high as 9%, especially if Obama gets elected. I know from my clients that are business owners, they will be laying off workers, if taxes go up even one bit, particuarly if economy is in a slowdown.

As far as how it relates to ski resorts...biggest thing will be consumer demand. I see it two ways. Obviously I am not an analyst, tried contacting one here that specializes in it, but couldnt find one avail right now.

Energy costs are going to be down from where we expected them to be. Gas prices will be around here. Now, near certainty of a global slowdown, demand is down, big time, and all of the speculators that caused the shot up to $147.50 are out of the game. (deleveraging, closing of hedge funds).

Me, I stopped going to atlantic city and starting to go skiing more. With gas prices in the low $2.30's here in jersey, dont mind driving to a ski resort. In fact, I am more likely to go skiing, then flying somewhere.

As someone said, a Stay-Cation, is great. If the ski resorts play it right, with specials, ala Blue Mountain, $29 days, $20 on sunday after 4, I am game!

People who would go on a big vacation are more likely to go local, and stay in PA/VT/NY, for half the price. Hardcore skiers will go no matter what. The biggest question mark is people new to sport, or who think skiing is out of their price range. If resorts push the $50 (pass/rental/lesson) deals, it would bring new people to sport.

Think supply and demand, they have to run a min number of lifts no matter what, drop the price to get the maximum capacity for the fixed costs to get full efficiency, if there is increase supply, start raising prices from that level.... so its the 100 people at $50 or 10 people you would attract at $100. If you have the mountain to run, and the crew is there, you are paying them no matter what, might as well have people go. Lastly, they have to prey for good snow. =P

Not to sound mean, but they can probly decrease wages, in light of economic slowdown, to lower the costs, or offset wages, with benefits, ie deals on passes, or friend passes etc.

Sorry took up so much, but hopefully that clarifies it a bit, let me know if you want me to go in depth on any of the sections.

fyi... for this year, I am actually planning a client event where I charter a bus and go skiing. =P

The problem is, nothings changed in mark to model/mark to market accounting with the suspension in place and these asswipes can go right back to doing the same BS with the OTC derivatives market. There's still a boatload of worthless paper that's working its way onto the taxpayer balance sheet and the Fed Reserve. This current ballyhoo to renegotiate mortgage payments and principle is another ripoff. So, if somebody paid 350K for a house and had a 340K mortgage and their FMV is currently 300K, are they going to drop the principle to 300K? And who benefits when home prices eventually go up in a few years? Does the homeowner have to fork over excess equity above 300K? Sure, blame it on Clinton and the dems. This mess is borne by both sides, and the fiscal side of it is all GOP the past 6 years.

Maksim

The problem is, nothings changed in mark to model/mark to market accounting with the suspension in place and these asswipes can go right back to doing the same BS with the OTC derivatives market. There's still a boatload of worthless paper that's working its way onto the taxpayer balance sheet and the Fed Reserve. This current ballyhoo to renegotiate mortgage payments and principle is another ripoff. So, if somebody paid 350K for a house and had a 340K mortgage and their FMV is currently 300K, are they going to drop the principle to 300K? And who benefits when home prices eventually go up in a few years? Does the homeowner have to fork over excess equity above 300K? Sure, blame it on Clinton and the dems. This mess is borne by both sides, and the fiscal side of it is all GOP the past 6 years.

There is no suspension to mark to market accounting. Not sure were you got that from. There was only clarification.

The derivatives, Credit default swaps, were unregulated to begin with, and yes, there were big messes there.

The paper is not worthless. Let me explain. Lets say, you own a house, worth 350k, and owe 300k on it. And an assclown neighbor knocks on your door and says he will give you 50k for it. If you are a bank, even though you dont plan on selling it today, mark to market accounting rules state that you have to list assets, every quarter, at the price that you would get to liquidate it today. So they would mark 350k mortgages, to 50k.

The default rate is still historically low. and most banks priced it in. Currently, most of all banks marked sub prime at total loss, as in EVERYONE of the subprime mortgages will default resulting in total loss. We sold our Alt-A (no doc loans, etc.) for 22 cents on the dollar apx, to BlackRock. And lastly, got rid of nearly all mortgage and real estate assets.

So banks are pricing in now, with all of the write downs, that they will get 0% back of their money on subprime and home equity loans, and 22 cents on the dollar or less for no doc loans.

Current default rates are 20% for sub prime. That is 60 days or late. Alt-a is lower.

The fed, if they buy, will be buying this stuff at around same rates. As long half the loans dont go bust, the fed will make alot of money.

As warren buffet said, if he had 700 billion, he would buy it all up himself.

CDS are bets made interbank to insure the default of a bank. Seperate matter altogether.

Home prices, yes, it is nuts that we are bailing out people who bought in, but let me put this through clearly, if they dont readjust these loans, there will be more foreclosures, and that will bite you back as well.

what everyone fails to realize that it is all connected, if we dont renegotiate these loans, the correction in house prices, will be much more severe, and banks will not lend until they see an end in sight.

Lastly, if you think that home prices will jump back to where they were 2 years ago, in a few years, you are saddly mistaken. Home prices were HIGHLY overpriced in regards to various factors, including rent and income. Traditionally, a home goes up with the price of inflation. The house prices going up was as a result of easy lending, and lenders forced to lend out to sub prime candidates.

Moe Ghoul

There is no suspension to mark to market accounting. Not sure were you got that from. There was only clarification.

The derivatives, Credit default swaps, were unregulated to begin with, and yes, there were big messes there.

The paper is not worthless. Let me explain. Lets say, you own a house, worth 350k, and owe 300k on it. And an assclown neighbor knocks on your door and says he will give you 50k for it. If you are a bank, even though you dont plan on selling it today, mark to market accounting rules state that you have to list assets, every quarter, at the price that you would get to liquidate it today. So they would mark 350k mortgages, to 50k.

The default rate is still historically low. and most banks priced it in. Currently, most of all banks marked sub prime at total loss, as in EVERYONE of the subprime mortgages will default resulting in total loss. We sold our Alt-A (no doc loans, etc.) for 22 cents on the dollar apx, to BlackRock. And lastly, got rid of nearly all mortgage and real estate assets.

So banks are pricing in now, with all of the write downs, that they will get 0% back of their money on subprime and home equity loans, and 22 cents on the dollar or less for no doc loans.

Current default rates are 20% for sub prime. That is 60 days or late. Alt-a is lower.

The fed, if they buy, will be buying this stuff at around same rates. As long half the loans dont go bust, the fed will make alot of money.

As warren buffet said, if he had 700 billion, he would buy it all up himself.

CDS are bets made interbank to insure the default of a bank. Seperate matter altogether.

Home prices, yes, it is nuts that we are bailing out people who bought in, but let me put this through clearly, if they dont readjust these loans, there will be more foreclosures, and that will bite you back as well.

what everyone fails to realize that it is all connected, if we dont renegotiate these loans, the correction in house prices, will be much more severe, and banks will not lend until they see an end in sight.

Lastly, if you think that home prices will jump back to where they were 2 years ago, in a few years, you are saddly mistaken. Home prices were HIGHLY overpriced in regards to various factors, including rent and income. Traditionally, a home goes up with the price of inflation. The house prices going up was as a result of easy lending, and lenders forced to lend out to sub prime candidates.

700 billion is a fraction of the total market and Buffett has the ability to cherry pick his way thru that cesspool. The tab is going to be a lot higher than 700 billion. .22 cents on the dollar is pretty close to worthless, and LEH got under .10. Hope your right, but I doubt it. Somehow all this crap will work it's way back into the market, repackaged and dumped into funds.
More foreclosures won't affect me in the least, if anything it'll bring a real bottom in the housing market sooner and allow me to make a more informed decision when we buy another place in 5 years instead of fixing prices and kicking the can down the road. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it unfolds in the coming months.

http://www.financialweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081010/REG/810109977/1036

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I still think it's all about the snow. As an innkeeper, I'd rather have good snow in a bad economy than bad snow in a good economy.

Now, if the economy has a total collapse, all bets are off, but if it's just a recession, even a bad one, a few good winters in a row will do a lot more for the resorts than anything else.

Maksim

700 billion is a fraction of the total market and Buffett has the ability to cherry pick his way thru that cesspool. The tab is going to be a lot higher than 700 billion. .22 cents on the dollar is pretty close to worthless, and LEH got under .10. Hope your right, but I doubt it. Somehow all this crap will work it's way back into the market, repackaged and dumped into funds.
More foreclosures won't affect me in the least, if anything it'll bring a real bottom in the housing market sooner and allow me to make a more informed decision when we buy another place in 5 years instead of fixing prices and kicking the can down the road. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it unfolds in the coming months.

http://www.financialweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081010/REG/810109977/1036

I think I need to clarify this...

Banks owned on their balance sheet as assets mortgage paper. These assets were essentially claimed a total loss.

Corporate Bond - Investor lends money to company. Corporate bond is a reflection of company risk/repayment.

Credit Default Swaps - Insurance sold between institutions to gurarantee the debt of any company. This market was unregulated, and AIG was the biggest insurer.

As far as lehman, Lehman recovery rates are quite different depending on what you owned.

If you owned Secured, or senior unsecured lehman bonds, you something back, er, will be after bankruptcy. typically it is 60 to 80 cents on the dollar. For lehman right now... going to be quite a bit less. 14 or 15 cents on the dollar, but once again, will depend on court.

If you had an equity stake in lehman, ie pref. or common stock, you are basicly not going to get anything. Maybe a few cents on the dollar.

Bottom line is, the total mortgage market is very big, but the vast majority of mortgages are fine, and the vast majority of people will not stop paying.

Most of the banks wrote off everything, I know we wrote down or sold off every mortgage derivative of any kind, priced at most, 22 cents on dollar or so. Essentially, whoever buys this stuff, as long as less than 78% of people default on these loans, they will make money.

ctenidae

Lou Ranieri's shop is trying to do some of what he Fed might do- if they can get enough pieces of the loans, they're doing a restructure, turning NPLs and potential NPLs in to performers. If you're buying at 22, you've got a lot of room to restructure. Too bad he's not raising a huge fund, and couldn't get anyone to put up large dollars for it if he tried. Somthing like $700B ought to be enough to help out some.

Maksim

BlackStone is in the market last I heard. There is alot of very very good opportunities in the markets. Me personally, not touching mortgage backed, but am buying bank paper of Wachovia, other pref. stocks, as well as closed end funds.

There are some tax free muni bond funds paying 8 to 9% tax free.

You must be greedy when everyone else is fearful, and fearful when everyone is greedy.
Warren Buffet.

It is best to buy straw hats in the winter
Benjamin Graham.

Moe Ghoul

I'm a trader, when I see smoke in the forest I don't differentiate the good from bad trees and brush. I bailed Sept. 8, DJIA 11,600. I'll scalp and swing trade this lower range, add a few div paying utilities for the long port. Wall Street and DC have decimated what little trust was left for a shareholder, imo. Until there's full transparency, good corporate governance and controls, reality based risk management and responsible compensation, I'll take a pass on buy and hold. And I'll never own a financial, I don't care what they say.

Maksim

I'm a trader, when I see smoke in the forest I don't differentiate the good from bad trees and brush. I bailed Sept. 8, DJIA 11,600. I'll scalp and swing trade this lower range, add a few div paying utilities for the long port. Wall Street and DC have decimated what little trust was left for a shareholder, imo. Until there's full transparency, good corporate governance and controls, reality based risk management and responsible compensation, I'll take a pass on buy and hold. And I'll never own a financial, I don't care what they say.

God bless you. =) You were able to do that.

Personaly, I dont trade for clients. My clients, that need this money for hte long term, will be fine. Clients that were closer to retirement, didnt have alot of market exposure.

I actually have 2 hedge fund managers as clients, and they completely seperate the two. There is long term money, and trading money.

btw.. here is where the latest debt markets are... they tigtened quite a bit. As far as the link about mark to market... the numbers they have to base it off of, are still not much higher than what they define firesale... it is still completely off.

Issuer Maturity Range Type Previous Closing Levels Current Bid Range
LEH All Senior
Subordinated 8.5 - 13.5*
Around 1* 9 - 14*
Around 1*

AIG 0 to 5 Years
6 Years and beyond 40 - 45
35 - 40 40 - 45
35 - 40

GS 0 to 5 Years
6 Years and beyond 84 - 89
82 - 87 84 - 89
82 - 87

MS 0 to 5 Years
6 Years and beyond 79 - 84
78 - 86 79 - 84
79 - 85

WB 0 to 5 Years
6 Years and beyond 89 - 94
85 - 90 89 - 94
85 - 90

MER 0 to 5 Years
6 Years and beyond 88 - 92
83 - 89 88 - 92
83 - 89

Moe Ghoul

Positive impact on skiing from the market the past few days. Pretty much covered my season and guaranteed a late spring trip and a 50+ 08/09. Topped off the tanks at 2.49/gal. Party's over for lower gas prices, enjoy it while we can. Fed shot their wad with the 1/2 point cut as they race to 0.

Yellen Says Fed May Cut Benchmark Rate Close to Zero
By Vivien Lou Chen
Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco President Janet Yellen said the central bank may cut the benchmark interest rate close to zero percent from the current 1 percent level should the economy remain weak.
:flag:

gladerider

they are giving up on controlling inflation.
looks like they are fighting deflation.

Mak i mostly agree with your theory, but what happened in the last 2 months triggered a domino effect internationally that many people did not consider in their pricing. market movement is totally irrational at this point. i am in international PE. we pulled all short term funds out in march. you can only delev so much until you see some blood. there is a lot of blood spilling going on. internationally. so much so that we will only find out in the next 3-6-9 months window. last friday was scary. we are not done yet. when we are done. every joe will feel the pain in imho. the resorts may not feel it so much this season, but they may next season. i wouldn't be surprised if they are not feeling it yet since many depend on short term funding for operation nowadays.

and, yes blackstone is opening the wallet. long term, though, as far as i know.