• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/9-2/11 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Re: snowing

ski_resort_observer said:
Starting snowing here along the Mad River, got about an inch, snowing light to moderate. Nice to see everything white again.
I'll be there tomorrow, God willing...

subdude

teachski said:
subdude said:
Actually the storm track is trending further North then yesterdays models showed this is great for ski areas. NWS in Burlington VT already issued a winter storm warning with 8-16" looks like all ski areas in New England will get a nice dumping.

HALLELUIAH!!!!
If ALL ski areas in New England are going to get a nice dumping as you say, then it will need to get colder much faster and enlarge. There ARE SKI AREAS that are in MA, CT and RI you know! WE WANT and NEED snow too!

Ok Wachusett and the ski areas in the Berkshires should get about 8-10" all other ski areas in MA and points south in CT and RI will be lucky to get 2-4" ski areas in NH, ME, VT will be breaking out the yardsticks to measure. Pack your bags and head north.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like we're not going to have a problem getting out of CT tomorrow. I'm happy to hear that I won't hit snow until I get north of Springfield. Driving in snow doesn't bother me. Jackass S. New England drivers do. Anyway, hope to be able to get out a few hours at MRG tomorrow and Sugarbush Friday and Saturday. ski_resort_observer indicated the SB Inn has a couple of DSL lines so I'll try to upload some pics tomorrow and Friday evenings. Hope some others can get out Friday too. The track and timing of this storm is shaping up perfectly for me....

RossiSkier

ki_timage_logo.gif

Thursday, February 10
Trails Open: 146; Miles Open: 71; Lifts Open: 19
Surface Conditions: Powder / Packed Powder
New Snow: 8 inches at 6 a.m. and the snow continues to fall. Weather: Snow through the day with temps in the 20s. Total accumulation expected to be 16-20 inches.

index_headerimage.jpg

2/10/2005
Trails 74+; Lifts 10;
Conditions Powder/Packed Powder

Great news everyone, Mother Nature has smiled upon us once again, dropping 4 inches of fresh powder overnight! Snow still continues to fall and forecasters are calling for at least another 5-8 inches of freshies by the end of the day! Today we'll have over 74 trails open with 10 lifts in rotation servicing the vast expanse of powder/packed powder skiing and riding. The trail count will climb as the day progresses, as all this new snow will allow ski patrol to drop the ropes all day. The weather for today holds another 5-8 inches of snow, with base temps around 28 degrees along with summit temps at 22 with moderate winds out of the east/northeast. With all the new snow, it looks like the weekend will once again be spectacular!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Looks like only the northern areas will get lots of snow out of this. They were a bit off on this one. The skills are getting 2 to 4 and they were said to get 12+ :cry: Looks like I will just have to go north.

skidbump

rained all nite in poughkeepsie and up at bellearye thinkin same at hunter and windham but i think dmc can answer that one

pepperdawg

ALLSKIING said:
Looks like only the northern areas will get lots of snow out of this. They were a bit off on this one. The skills are getting 4 to 7 and they were said to get 12+ :cry: Looks like I will just have to go north.

Thats a good thing!!!!! Couldnt be shaping up nicer.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
pepperdawg said:
ALLSKIING said:
Looks like only the northern areas will get lots of snow out of this. They were a bit off on this one. The skills are getting 4 to 7 and they were said to get 12+ :cry: Looks like I will just have to go north.

Thats a good thing!!!!! Couldnt be shaping up nicer.
I just wish the skills got dumped on..its a long day trip for me to K or sugarbush or even Mt snow. Although I got a big one planned for Smuggs on the 22nd of Feb. :D

subdude

YeeHa our annual bus trip to Stratton is tomorrow.

4-6 inches of new snow has fallen overnight, with storm totals of 20 inches in the forecast by Friday morning!! You'll be making turns this morning on 81 trails, with 8 lifts scheduled to begin loading at 9:00 a.m. Wax up your sticks and boards and head out into this Winter Wonderland where you'll find over 550 acres or 32.85 miles of open terrain to play on. Think Snow!

Vortex

This seems more like it. Snow in the mountains and NCP in boston. I went to bed 10-15 projected in the White mountains. 10 to 20 last report I heard in the White's. We finally get a storm. All those who go today and tomorrow, Congrats :beer:

hammer

Any reports from central NH? I'm trying to figure out how far north I'll have to travel this weekend for decent snow...

ctenidae

SUnappe says 5 inches at teh summit so far, and still falling. I'm wondering how far north to go, too.

Vortex

hammer said:
Any reports from central NH? I'm trying to figure out how far north I'll have to travel this weekend for decent snow...[/quote
Loon Reporting 7 inches at top 2 at base so far. Cannon and Bretton Woods always seem to come in with the highests totals.

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
Here's what they're saying on Sugarbush's web site. Hopefully this is not too optimistic.

*ENHANCED OROGRAPHIC UPLIFT AND SLOW MOVING STORM SHOULD MEAN 2 FEET HERE BY TOMORROW OR SATURDAY AND BEST WEEKEND OF SKIING THIS WINTER

Even our prediction of 10-12" from Monday was conservative from this storm and yesterday morning we updated snowfall maps to as high as 1-2 feet with this particular storm. I still think when it is all said and done, amounts here could be close to two feet by later Friday, or by early Saturday with the off and on light snow that falls following this storm. Most forecasters are predicting total amounts now around 15-18" but I think that is even too low if we include the mountain enhanced snowfall and off and on light snows into Saturday.

hammer

Bob R said:
Loon Reporting 7 inches at top 2 at base so far. Cannon and Bretton Woods always seem to come in with the highests totals.
Any of these places reasonable for a day trip from Nashua? I've considered them but I'm concerned about the drive times.

RISkier

hammer said:
Bob R said:
Any of these places reasonable for a day trip from Nashua? I've considered them but I'm concerned about the drive times.

Don't know specific drive times from Nashua but I'd definately say yes. We live about 25 miles S of Providence. It's about 3 hours (perhaps a tad more) to Loon and we can make Bretton Woods in about 4 hours. Cannon is closer than BW. Our day trip tolerance is about 3 hours each way. More than that and it gets pretty tedious.