• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/16 - 3/17 Storm Discussion Thread

reefer

Another Holiday Blizzard at Mount Snow, can it top V-day????????? We'll find out!!!!!!!!!!! See you there....................................pics to follow!

Last edited:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
matt noyes has been excellent this year; for some reason i cant get the image to show up but the link is below

image.html

http://mattnoyes.net/

I'm not holding my breath for 18+. Although a good foot would be REAL nice :)

tcharron

Another Holiday Blizzard at Mount Snow, can it top V-day????????? We'll find out!!!!!!!!!!! See you there....................................pics to follow!

OMG, that's a friggen awesome pic! I'm sitting in the rain in NH and it cheered me up! :)

Hrm..... Was pondering what to do this weekend....

tcharron

DoH! Tickets on the high end pricewise at Mt Snow... *ponders* Must... Not.. Get.. Killed for spending.. More.. Money... Must.. Resist...

snoseek

we need dense snow. yesterdays snow was very saturated, it will freeze hard and a foot of blower won't be easy to ski after it sets up.

reefer

??????

DoH! Tickets on the high end pricewise at Mt Snow... *ponders* Must... Not.. Get.. Killed for spending.. More.. Money... Must.. Resist...

I ski there for free, (no - not an ASC A41 - free, no - I'm not an employee, no - I won no contest) and have access to a house ten minutes down the road......you gotta learn how to do it.......................................
The Frugal Ski Bum ( I must make this my new name )

tcharron

I ski there for free, (no - not an ASC A41 - free, no - I'm not an employee, no - I won no contest) and have access to a house ten minutes down the road......you gotta learn how to do it.......................................
The Frugal Ski Bum ( I must make this my new name )

QQ

Share the wealth man! :)

Grassi21

loafer, where are you? i stink with all this storm tracking. what's it look like for CT and MA? i need to do something to break-up painting rooms this weekend.

Greg

Staff member
loafer, where are you? i stink with all this storm tracking. what's it look like for CT and MA? i need to do something to break-up painting rooms this weekend.

The Northern Berkshires will make out well. Go to Berkshire East or Jiminy.

loafer89

I am here at home and my son and I are going up to Mount Snow tomorrow where the heaviest snow looks to fall from this storm. NOAA is prediciting 16" of snow with isolated 24" amounts in the Southern Green Mountains. We are staying in Bennington friday night and the heavy snow looks to fall late friday into saturday morning.

Connecticut looks to be a royal mess with 9-13" of snow/sleet/freezing rain forecast for my area and 15" + of mainly snow from Hartford west.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The latest:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH FOR RUTLAND AND WINDSOR COUNTIES IN SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

A TOTAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 10 TO 20 INCHES IS EXPECTED BY EARLY SATURDAY EVENING...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS EXPECTED OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY NIGHT...AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT. THE HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE INTO SATURDAY MORNING AND MAY MIX WITH SLEET AT TIMES.

And with that, Trailboss is off to Burke for the weekend.....

:beer:

awf170

The sleet is going to come further north then they expect. Just like the last storm. The best hope is that the mountains stay in heavy precip bands so that the upper levels stay cold.

powderfreak

Its 2am but I've got some thoughts for those of you who'll read this in the morning...#1 covers sleet, #2 covers VT snowfall, #3 covers snowfall changes to eastern NY.

1) I'm worried about sleet mixing in as a warm layer slides northward at 6K-7K feet. Its small and every time I think heavy precipitation rates will keep the column below freezing, its changed to sleet. The warm air nose will work its way NNW and I'm going to forecast a change to or mix with sleet from Albany-Rutland-Saint Johnsbury and SEward. Before you get too concerned, I do not expect significant sleet accumulations along this corridor or even a little to the east of that line. This is just where I think the snow might change to a sleety/pellet-snow mixture towards the last portion of the storm; there will be major snowfall accumulations before this occurs for the southern VT and NH crowds.

2) Terrain and its effect on precipitation amounts has me looking at the last storm two weeks ago Friday where we saw severe down-sloping in the Champlain Valley and CT River Valleys as easterly winds caused the atmosphere to stabilize coming off the 4K foot spine. 00z models tonight indicate strong frontogenic forcing along the east slopes of the Berkshires and Green Mountain spine, as well as the east slopes of the Catskills and to some extent the Adirondacks. Precipitation amounts should be enhanced in these regions as the boundary layer is forced up and over the terrain. I am expecting one to two feet for the Vermont ski areas along the spine from Jay Peak southward to Mount Snow...with one to one and a half feet in the Berkshires as some sleet will keep amounts below the two foot mark. In the Champlain Valley and west of an Underhill-Bolton-Starksboro-Ripton line I expect amounts to drop to 6-10”.

3) Elsewhere, as far as snowfall accumulations go, refer to last night’s snowfall forecast though I’d like to bump the Hudson River Valley up a little bit from 6-9” to 9-15” and throw the eastern Catskills (including Hunter and Windham) into the one to two foot range. Feel the Hudson River Valley will see some down-sloping off the Berkshires but with terrain differences less than that of northern Vermont, feel the contrast will not be as large.

Lastly, enjoy whatever falls from the sky because two days ago this was not on the menu and we’d all be looking at some of the finest boilerplate the east has to offer.

-Scott

castlerock

St. Patricks Day Miracle

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Burlington Vt
444 Am Edt Fri Mar 16 2007

.short Term /today Through Sunday Night/...
Favorable Setup For Heavy Snow To Impact A Large Part Of The North
Country Tonight And Saturday. Surface Low To Track From The
Carolina Coast Northeast To Eastern Massachusetts And Eventually
Ending Up In The Gulf Of Maine. Very Sharp Thermal Boundary At 850
Mb Will Result In Strong Warm Air Advection Pattern Across Northern
New England Tonight And Saturday. Juxtaposition Of 850/700 Mb
Frontogenesis Suggests Vermont And The Northeast Portions Of New
York State Will Be In Favorable Area For Heavy Snow. Bufkit
Soundings Show Somewhat Steeper Lapse Rates Above 850 Mb Suggesting
Instability Will Enhance Precipitation And Forecast Soundings Also
Showing Favorable Overlap Of Snow Growth And Omega To Support A
Period Of 2-3 Inch Hourly Snowfall Rates After Midnight Tonight And
On Into The Morning Hours Of Saturday. Thermal Profile Suggests All
Snow Except For South Central Vermont Where Some Sleet May Mix In.
Track Of 700 And 500 Mb Lows Also Favors Vermont For Heaviest
Precipitation...which Looks To Be In The 1.0 To 1.5 Inch Range.
There Is A Sharp Gradient Thus Areas Such As The Saint Lawrence
Valley With Be On The Fringe Of This Event. Expect Only 3-7 Inches
Out There With The Western Portions Of The Northern Adirondacks
Getting 6-12 Inches And The Eastern Portions Getting 10-16 Inches.
Over The Entire Champlain Valley And The North Central And Northeast
Portions Of Vermont...expecting 12-20 Inches Of Snow And 12-18
Inches Over South Central Vermont Where Some Sleet Will Mix In.
Precipitation Will Taper Off From Southwest To Northeast Later On
Saturday As Pseudo Dry Slot Develops. But This Should Be Short
Lived As Wrap Around Moisture And Upslope Conditions Develop. Thus
Looking At A Prolonged Period Of Orographic Snows Beginning Saturday
Night And Lasting Into Sunday Night. Thus Additional Accumulations
Can Be Expected...especially Over The Higher Terrain. High
Temperatures Will Be Below Seasonal Normals Through The Period With
Low Temperatures Generally In The Teens. Gusty North To Northeast
Winds Later Tonight And Saturday Will Result In Some Blowing Snow.
Steepening Lapse Rates Sunday On The Backside Of This System
Suggests Sufficient Mixing To Allow For Some Gusty Winds From The
Northwest.

nelsapbm

When is the storm going to exit the NYC area? Looks like I may have a shot at my 5:15 flight (SAT) from BTV to JFK assuming there is a plane in Burlington.
WCAX is calling for 10-20".