• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Saddleback Thread

parahelia

Fm1uZ-qXkAEwGxq

1674145632242.png

Saddleback tweeted/posted this today and I figured it was time to resurrect the thread for the year. I ski Sunday River 95% of the time but keep an eye on Saddleback because it's fun for a day trip or two a year from our place at SR. It sounds like they've gotten the good end of the last few storms, with minimal rain - they claim to be 97% open. I've seen some pictures from the Casablanca/Muleskinner area over the past few weeks and while not especially deep, it looks a heck of a lot better than the bare ground a lot of places have.

Anyone been recently? I usually wait until March to go but this is making me reconsider....

KustyTheKlown

i was meant to go over xmas and over mlk weekends but both times i cancelled and went to tremblant. i didn't want to risk the finicky weather situations. i sure do hope to get up to loaf and saddleback eventually this season. my long weekend opportunities are dwindling. easter i guess.

Zand

I was dead set on hitting Saddleback this Monday-Tuesday but the storm is looking uncomfortably close to the coast. I feel like Vermont will fare better. Definitely getting up there soon though. Instantly became one of my favorite ski areas when I finally got there for the first time 2 years ago.

ThatGuy

Probably going to link up a week of skiing from Stowe/Jay>Cannon/Wildcat>Saddleback.
Really want to check out Cannon and Saddleback been on the Indy three years and still haven’t made it there.

ceo

I just booked a couple days at Saddleback for me and the kid, start of February break. Was kind of shocked at the rates for on-mountain accommodations, but there's plenty of places in and around Rangeley. Shouldn't have been surprised that ski school was almost sold out (had to reserve an afternoon lesson the second day), but I'm still getting used to that particular new reality.

machski

I was dead set on hitting Saddleback this Monday-Tuesday but the storm is looking uncomfortably close to the coast. I feel like Vermont will fare better. Definitely getting up there soon though. Instantly became one of my favorite ski areas when I finally got there for the first time 2 years ago.
Latest I just saw has the Maine ski country on a sweet spot.

Zand

After much waffling, finally picked Maine for my trip this week. Booked a cabin on Rangeley Lake Mon-Wed night. Probably hit SR on the way up Monday, Saddleback Tue and Thu, and Sugarloaf on Wednesday.

Super pumped, can't wait to get back to Saddleback.

parahelia

After much waffling, finally picked Maine for my trip this week. Booked a cabin on Rangeley Lake Mon-Wed night. Probably hit SR on the way up Monday, Saddleback Tue and Thu, and Sugarloaf on Wednesday.

Super pumped, can't wait to get back to Saddleback.
Awesome! Let us know how it’s looking. The Casablanca/Muleskinner area was fantastic last time I went. It’s a bit of a schlep, so the further you go, the fewer tracks you see…

Bumpsis

Affordable lodging is key for me. Just took a cursory look - not much in $ 120/night range. I don't mind paying for decent food but I prefer my lodging to be on the spartan side so I can watch the budget.

Zand

In the past I've always splurged on a Maine trip every year (usually at the Sugarloaf Hotel for ~$215 per night). My trips to Sugarloaf have always been hit or miss and after discovering Saddleback on my last trip, I decided that will be the centerpiece of my Maine trips now. Since I only get two Saddleback days on Indy, figured I'd drive the 45 minutes to Sugarloaf for a day, plus I can't be that close and not eat a Bag Burger.

With the Indy Pass lodging discount, I was able to get a cabin on Rangeley Lake for $200 per night which is cheaper than a basic room at the Sugarloaf Hotel. They're more designed for summer and boating on the lake, so they have some good deals in the winter. Not to mention the cabins have a no snowmobile policy so it should be quiet compared to the motels in town. I loved snowmobiling the one time I went up there but some people seem to think they're in the Daytona 500 at 3am.

Vince

Skied Thurs, Fri and Sat. Even on Thurs before it snowed I could tell the natural snow pack was much more than my previous Thurs at Stowe.
Probably snowed 6-7 inches Thurs night. Glades were great did the first 5 runs on Casablanca. Great coverage. Good enough to ski full tilt in the woods.

Saturday crowded by Saddleback standards. 5 minute liftline max. The only hassle is getting your ticket. I have Indy pass. You have to wait in line each time to validate and it takes a while. Used my Indy pass Thurs and friday. Paid $89 with 20 percent off today.

Worth the ride

OK, you guys convinced me. Son and I are headed to Saddleback this weekend. Any advice on where to ski and where to eat? Any issues with parking at the hill? Already booked a hotel in town.

Smellytele

OK, you guys convinced me. Son and I are headed to Saddleback this weekend. Any advice on where to ski and where to eat? Any issues with parking at the hill? Already booked a hotel in town.
Well for woods head to Casablanca. Other glades are fun as well. Great cruising blue runs to skiers left off the Rangeley. Steeps are great skiers right before Casablanca off kennebago quad.
Not many places around to eat. I have always Airbnb’s in the area so had a kitchen.
Parking has never been an issue.

DrPeteG

Sarges in town for a burger. I like the Portage Tap House I Oquossoc- 10-15 minute drive west from Rangeley.

soposkier

View attachment 56108
It's goooooood.

A foot on top of this Wednesday night will make Thursday otherworldly.
Damn looks nice, planning on getting there Saturday. Be sure to hike up to the top above treeline for the short "snowfields" runs above tightline if you haven't done that before (if they still allow it). Worth the hike up either way.