• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Saddleback Thread

Thanks for the info so far!

While fresh powder is great, I am just as intested in the soft moguls that powder, if left alone, eventually turns into. Anyone know which trails at Saddleback will have the best moguls?

Edd

Thanks for the info so far!

While fresh powder is great, I am just as intested in the soft moguls that powder, if left alone, eventually turns into. Anyone know which trails at Saddleback will have the best moguls?
Professor, Peachy’s Peril, and Jane Craig are usually fun that way. I can’t think of any proper zipper line type runs.

Zand

Right now the weak point is probably natural bumps. Stuff like Jane Craig, Golden Smelt, and Peachy's are pretty slick besides some leftovers down the side. Of course, if the foot of snow pans out on Thursday then things will be much better. But for now, the snow in the glades >>>> natural bump runs.

machski

Right now the weak point is probably natural bumps. Stuff like Jane Craig, Golden Smelt, and Peachy's are pretty slick besides some leftovers down the side. Of course, if the foot of snow pans out on Thursday then things will be much better. But for now, the snow in the glades >>>> natural bump runs.
Please report what they wind up with Thursday at the end, debating jumping up Friday.

shawnanigans

Sarges in town for a burger. I like the Portage Tap House I Oquossoc- 10-15 minute drive west from Rangeley.
Those are both great recommendations. The best food in town is at Loon Lake Lodge in Rangely, not far from Dallas Hill Rd which takes you to the saddleback access road. It is upscale food but the prices won't kill you. You may need to make a reservation. The Corner Bar in downtown Ragneley is good spot for a couple drinks and small plates but not really a place to get a meal. The food is surprisingly good at Moose Alley but be prepared to wait a while if it is busy. Furbish House in downtown Rangely has excellent Pizza and a few other options.

As for the conditions, I was there last Saturday and the woods were in great shape. They should be fantastic if the next storm pans out. I spend a good bit of my day in the Casablanca glades but don't sleep on the Wooly Bugger glades as I found more fresh lines there than other spots. Tons of good stuff off the Kenebago Quad. Can't wait to get back up there.

They do a good job of maximizing parking there and they have a shuttle from the upper lots but its a quick walk down. They is also a good spot to drop equipment off with ambassadors to help you out if needed. Redeeming our Indy Passes took about 15 minutes but there were lots of people doing the same thing.

Zand

Haven't taken a run yet but we got fucked with freezing rain. Sounds like shit out there and a lot of people have already left so got to park nice and close at 10:30.

2023 sucks!

Zand

So update from the first couple runs...

Lot of trails roped but some nats and glades still open. It's warm up top. Untracked snow is a breakable crust and a bit frightening. Tracked out areas are spring snow and actually not bad. Groomers are soft up high but slick at the bottom. Don't think it's gonna be pretty when it gets cold this weekend but the base will set up quite well for the next snowfall, whenever that is.

What a fucking bummer though.

0126231112.jpg
0126231124.jpg0126231127.jpg

Yep. We had a great time there this weekend. The crust that set up after Thursday's event was weak enough to pretty much disappear after being skied once. Saturday was "crowded" with parking down the access road. Even had to suffer a 3 minute lift line once! Sunday, while they were getting 3 more inches of snow, was pretty empty. I would highly recommend this place for a weekend trip away from the crowds.

saddleback-2023-0130a.jpg

Saddleback Mountain Resort - Monday, January 30, 2023 - NewEnglandSkiConditions.com

parahelia

Just got back from a fantastic day at Saddleback. Bluebird with ~8" of fresh from the storm - not as much as VT to be sure, but very high quality given the elevation, and the existing base is deep. The Kennebago was on wind hold most of yesterday so the steeps were only lightly touched.

We spent a lot of the day circling the Casablanca/Muleskinner side. Everything was in play; most of the steeps were open from the top despite some wind scour. The Casablanca chutes each have their own personality - love the wide open feel of #4. The trek out Dazzler really thins the traffic and we got good lines all day long.

The day was particularly special because I was skiing with my father on his 75th birthday - couldn't ask for a better way to celebrate.

PSA to anyone traveling to Saddleback from the west (eg Whites, Bethel, Rumford)... The road just north of Height of Land on Rt 17 is in significantly worse shape than just last year. That sign that says "Rough Road" is not kidding around, those are frost canyons, not heaves. They appear to be doing some work on it, but it's mostly logging at this point which added extra vegetation to the road carnage. Maybe this presages some summer road work? Anyways, I had to slow to 5mph in places and it added a good 20 minutes to the trip, so just be prepared. The view from Height of Land is as jaw-dropping as ever (last in the series of photos here).
2023-03-16 11.01.01.jpg
2023-03-16 11.37.23.jpg
2023-03-16 11.02.23.jpg
2023-03-16 13.28.43.jpg
2023-03-16 16.55.00.jpg

parahelia

That road is the worst paved road I have ever been on.
I had the exact same thought. I used to drive in far northern Canada for field work, but those paved roads were a delight in comparison to ME-17.

Edd

I had the exact same thought. I used to drive in far northern Canada for field work, but those paved roads were a delight in comparison to ME-17.
Thanks for the warning. Skiing BMOM on Sunday and driving to Saddleback after. I’ll avoid Rt 17.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As bad a road as it is, that view at height of land is pretty spectacular.

In regards to Casablanca 4, as cool as it is, I wonder what it looks like 10 or so years from now. I feel they cut too much for it to be sustainable as a glade and they'll have to rope large sections off to regenerate trees. Kinda like MRG does in some places. I feel the same about some areas of Burnt Mountain at Sugarloaf as well. They got a little too chainsaw happy.

bigbob

We took Rt 16 from Stratton a week back and the middle section was just as bad as what you described. Heaves with huge holes with the asphalt intact.