• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Squaw Valley, USA Thread

mbedle

Just reading up on this and during a May 2014 interview he seems to indicate that the White Wolf resort will be moving forward even with the connect. Apparently he is going to lease the land for the interconnect. Kind of a funny story that reminds me of the PCMR mess up. Apparently, SP approached Squaw valley after Caldwell approach SP to purchase the land. Someone in the Squaw Valley's group turned down an offer to purchase the land and they went back to Caldwell and sold him the 450 acres. The response from Squaw was why purchase a square mile of land when we lease the 75 acres from you already for dirt cheap. For 350K, Caldwell walked into a gold mine. Hats off to him.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here's the video:

http://squawalpine.com/gondola?utm_...541337514&spReportId=NTQxMzM3NTE0S0#section_1

Interesting that they got Wayne Poulsen's son to speak about it. A while back I posted a trailer of the Squaw Valley historical movie that was being made and you immediately got the sense that the Poulsen Family was still quite bitter about Cushing pushing them out of the area.

At 1:22 of this video Troy comments about how his relationship with SV was "shaky". That is a mild way of putting it. SV sued him multiple times I believe after he became their landlord for part of KT-22. :lol:

As to the proposal, that route sucks. I don't like how it cuts across KT-22. I think this is going to turn into Tahoe's Ski Link and really piss a lot of people off.

mbedle

Yeah - I would say that Troy and Cushing did not have a good relationship. They sue him a couple of times and tried to screw Troy when they had a lift exchange deal for the land under the K-22 lift.

Not sure why they chose to run it up along the entire north face of K-22. Seems it would have been better to replace the K-22 lift and run it down to the lake area from there. Its not clear if the angled sections are going to be unloading and loading areas. I'm guessing they are, just not sure.

Good interview with Troy in May 2014 is here:

http://snowbrains.com/will-squaw-alpine-connect-exclusive-troy-caldwell-video-interview/