• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

They could take an approach like Superstar where it really hugs the ground for a little while, but that would close off a good portion of the trail which I'm not sure would be a good idea either. Personally I haven't noticed Heaven's Gate's reliability issues this year but maybe I've just been lucky.
There were a number of days in March where it was stop n go. I was legit worried I'd get stuck on the lift.

Smellytele

They could take an approach like Superstar where it really hugs the ground for a little while, but that would close off a good portion of the trail which I'm not sure would be a good idea either. Personally I haven't noticed Heaven's Gate's reliability issues this year but maybe I've just been lucky.
If you haven’t noticed look back in this thread it has been mentioned down more than any lift on az.

KustyTheKlown

i got stuck on heavens gate for nearly an hour. it was the Saturday before the late season 11" powder day. it had just started to snow. if it was the sunday i would have been so pissed.

HowieT2

The NRX, former GMX, is now 32 years old. I think it has served SB very well and has earned retirement. Alterra is more interested in expanding Steamboat and Winter Park right now. Those are shinier things than replacing NRX at SB.
and you know this how?
I'd heard NRX would be replaced next summer

thetrailboss

Staff member
and you know this how?
GMX I was installed in 1990. https://liftblog.com/sugarbush-vt/

As to WP and Steamboat, Alterra is dumping a lot of money into them. WP's plans were circulated earlier this week. Steamboat is in the second year of their base rebuild and lift expansion. Big bucks going in there.

Last edited:

cdskier

and you know this how?
I wouldn't at all be surprised if you are right about what you heard. NRX isn't on Forest Service land if I recall correctly so they don't have to submit the same application to the FS that they had to start submitting already for HG. That's the only reason we "know" about HG already even though NRX could be planned as well.

ThatGuy

Weren’t there a few lifts that were going to be replaced at various Alterra resorts before covid and its been radio silence on that since?

HowieT2

GMX I was installed in 1990. https://liftblog.com/sugarbush-vt/

As to WP and Steamboat, Alterra is dumping a lot of money into them. WP's plans were circulated earlier this week. Steamboat is in the second year of their base rebuild and lift expansion. Big bucks going in there.
I don't know but Alterra is a big company which doesnt seem to be having cash flow issues. It would seem to me that they have the wherewithal to make capital investments in their other assets while putting big bucks into WP and steamboat. I mean, what's 10m dollars nowadays.

tumbler

Take out Summit and extend GMX all the way to the top and have mid station loading and unloading like Collins at Alta (I know Collins is only loading at the turn)

cdskier

A FGQ is definitely cheaper,... but that would be a horrible move for that POD.
Yup...that would be one very long ride as a FGQ as well. Per Dopp's info on their website, with a loading carpet the max line speed is around 550 feet per minute. NRX is about 5700' long...so you're looking at 10+ minute ride as a FGQ (with carpet loading) vs the 5+ minute ride as a HSQ.

Newpylong

A fixed grip is a non-starter on Northridge. As has been mentioned the profile is too long. If you're going to remove it and not replace with a HSQ it would be better off to remove it entirely and spend money on a new summit lift IMHO. However, no doubt if and when it's replaced it will be replaced in kind.

A new Dopp FGQ is a perfect fit for Heavens Gate though.