• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

30s wouldn't be at all bad. Josh Fox was seeing the potential for a "torch" on next Wednesday of ~50 as of yesterday. Hoping he's wrong and that doesn't materialize.

Kleetus

30s wouldn't be at all bad. Josh Fox was seeing the potential for a "torch" on next Wednesday of ~50 as of yesterday. Hoping he's wrong and that doesn't materialize.
This is where I was getting the warm up from plus NWS is saying high likelihood of above average temps starting next week. Sure could still be in the mid 30s but outlook is not looking great for cold given the pattern setup after this weekend

Kleetus

Regardless of the warm up next week how is it skiing? Worth the trip up this weekend? On the fence about going as not much new snow this week but given the snow the past few weeks tempted.

WinS

5 degrees was the threshold in the past. I'm sure wind chill has to factor in as well.

Imagine being stuck over deepest ravine - 50'? above it in between towers? For a couple hours. . . . wife was on HG 10 or so years ago - last one off - 90 mins plus.
Yes, 5 degrees F at all points is the threshold. It is very susceptible to windhold as well because of its exposure to all directions. An evacuation would likely shut the mountain as all patrollers would be called into action to stage along the two mile span. If you notice when you get on the lift attendants both terminals are noting how many get on what chair. In an evacuation on other lifts a patroller will ski the line and report where people are so the evacuation commander can place patrol teams for the most orderly evacuation. That can’t happen on SB. You will also notice that evacuation bags are already in place on certain towers. My blood pressure shot up whenever I heard a 1060 called on the radio. Hopefully one never happens. But patrol is well trained if it does.

ducky

Regardless of the warm up next week how is it skiing? Worth the trip up this weekend? On the fence about going as not much new snow this week but given the snow the past few weeks tempted.
They've been blowing lots of new snow this week. It will be very cold on Sat (too cold for most) and normal again Sunday.

Hawk

Well it is -5 at 1800 feet and steadily dropping. Wind gusts are 15 - 20 right now. Brrrrrrr. They are talking -20 tonight. Really cold stuff.

cdskier

How are the natural trails and moguls skiing? Are they soft still or have things firmed up?
Depends where on the mountain you are. No personal experience since Sunday morning...but based on what MRG's report said yesterday, you should expect firm conditions on the natural trails on the bottom 1/3 of the mountain after it thawed and re-froze earlier in the week. Higher up is still skiing well. I wouldn't expect much to be different at Sugarbush on the natural terrain (other than possibly having seen more traffic at SB vs MRG's terrain).

Castlerockrisk

There is some soft snow on top of Bumps and extreme edges, troughs are fairly faced and hard but edgeable. We had some rain last Sunday and the initial snow last Thurs was wet and has cured pretty firm. The groomers are much better at Mellon, many of the trails at South are “curing” and have not been groomed recently. If you are thinking of skipping a weekend this is a good one to pick. Overall Mellon is currently skiing much better albeit way colder.

Hawk

Went out to brush off the Deck. -7 and windy. Trying to motivate after my last call to get our for a few runs. F-ing cold. hard to motivate.

crank

Mellon is good. Coldest I ever skied anywhere was there -24 on my only trip to the summit.

cdskier

Went out to brush off the Deck. -7 and windy. Trying to motivate after my last call to get our for a few runs. F-ing cold. hard to motivate.
Hah...I brushed off my deck a little while ago. Definitely F-ing cold! I have no motivation to go out and ski any runs today after work. Probably will run down to Mehurons and pick up groceries this afternoon so maybe I can get out for a few runs tomorrow afternoon if it warms up a little. I can't see myself even trying to get out early tomorrow like I usually do.