• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WWF-VT

Might be a stupid question. Xwhaler and I are heading to the Hyde Away Tuesday night. We have decided to just got for it no matter the weather Wednesday. Would Sugarbush be on complete wind hold with what appears to be south to southwest winds? Rain and warm temps actually would be decent skiing otherwise.

NOAA Forecast:

Snow and sleet likely before 7am, then sleet between 7am and 8am, then rain after 8am. High near 46. Very windy, with a south wind 50 to 55 mph decreasing to 37 to 42 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

You might want to reconsider Wednesday.....

catsup948

NOAA Forecast:

Snow and sleet likely before 7am, then sleet between 7am and 8am, then rain after 8am. High near 46. Very windy, with a south wind 50 to 55 mph decreasing to 37 to 42 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

You might want to reconsider Wednesday.....

We will ski somewhere. If Sugarbush is spinning enough lifts to make it worth it we go there. Otherwise there are lower elevation options. This winter sucks!

cdskier

We will ski somewhere. If Sugarbush is spinning enough lifts to make it worth it we go there. Otherwise there are lower elevation options. This winter sucks!

Sugarbush didn't get to 100% open in 2014 until Feb 14...still plenty of time for things to turn around!

cdskier

Status update for Sun, Jan 31

"With a warm front coming in for the next couple of days and to preserve the condition of the trails, we'll be closing all natural snow terrain tomorrow morning. "

Saw this earlier on the report. I think it is a wise decision to try and preserve whatever they can.

Spin-Out/Lower-FIS were skiing very nicely on Saturday (although the end of the traverse was pretty thin and rocky). Hopefully some of this survives the weather this week and then we get some new snow after the warmup so they can reopen these type of trails.

IMG_8850.jpg IMG_8852.jpg

Might be a stupid question. Xwhaler and I are heading to the Hyde Away Tuesday night. We have decided to just got for it no matter the weather Wednesday. Would Sugarbush be on complete wind hold with what appears to be south to southwest winds? Rain and warm temps actually would be decent skiing otherwise.

Read somewhere on SB website forecast links about the potential for "strong and damaging winds" from this storm, so I'm guessing Wed/Thurs might be tough up there. I decided to stay local and just get out for a day trip early this week as I'm afraid the landscape after this midweek storm will look completely different.

steamboat1

The traverse is good exercise!

So is cross country skiing, if I wanted exercise I'd do that. That last uphill before the double chair is the killer. Yes you can ski down to the double but if you want to get back to GMX you have to make that last climb. To bad it would be to expensive to put a detachable mid station on Slide Brook where it crosses lower FIS so you could load there. Not only would it get you out without having to traverse but it would take you to the North Ridge chair eliminating the need to ride GMX. You could actually lap lower FIS then.

cdskier

So is cross country skiing, if I wanted exercise I'd do that. That last uphill before the double chair is the killer. Yes you can ski down to the double but if you want to get back to GMX you have to make that last climb. To bad it would be to expensive to put a detachable mid station on Slide Brook where it crosses lower FIS so you could load there. Not only would it get you out without having to traverse but it would take you to the North Ridge chair eliminating the need to ride GMX. You could actually lap lower FIS then.

I ski down to the base of the terrain park and then hike up to GMX usually...

Making it too easy to ski Lower FIS would mean more traffic and then the trail wouldn't hold the snow as well as it currently does.

WWF-VT

What is the point of hiking up to the GMX ? Take a ride on the Sunny D and a trip down Sugar Run to get back to the GMX.

cdskier

What is the point of hiking up to the GMX ? Take a ride on the Sunny D and a trip down Sugar Run to get back to the GMX.

For me personally I usually just prefer not to sit on the slow double. Hiking to GMX seems faster to me than taking Sunny D.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Perhaps it is grown in, or gone, but one used to be able to cut across the Sunny D area by using a small cut in the trees and end up just above the GMX base. You had to look for it....we're talking a skier width or so across and it ran across from the exit onto the T-Bar slope all the way across. If you missed it, there used to be a handle tow (Tommy's Toy) that you could use to get up part of the way to GMX.

benski

Perhaps it is grown in, or gone, but one used to be able to cut across the Sunny D area by using a small cut in the trees and end up just above the GMX base. You had to look for it....we're talking a skier width or so across and it ran across from the exit onto the T-Bar slope all the way across. If you missed it, there used to be a handle tow (Tommy's Toy) that you could use to get up part of the way to GMX.

Thats been roped off.

slatham

That cut through to GMX was not roped off last year. Not sure why they would do that. If we're referring to the same route.

benski

That cut through to GMX was not roped off last year. Not sure why they would do that. If we're referring to the same route.

I think they try to stop people from cutting threw the terrain park since you would have to cross at the base of a jump

nhskier1969

Yes the trail was very nice. The traverse out makes it so not worth it though.
The trail is in good shape because of the run out. No one wants to ski it. That's why the snow has been so good on it less skier traffic. Castle rock was skiing great when it was hike to, less skier traffic.