• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ScottySkis

First of all, jealous I'm not there to ski and argue car temps vs web sites with you!

I find car temp gauges to be way less accurate, especially when the car is stationary, than the weather stations I have access too. I have also found the Sugarbush web site temps to be very accurate, as they too are taking a direct feed from a high end weather station that they own and have placed around the mountain (same one's they rely on to make snow).

I think the issue is that, even with cloud cover, solar radiation will impact the cars external temp reading. It would be interesting to see how residual heat from the engine block effects it too.

Now, if you had a legit thermometer I would stand down...

Josh is obviously right that there's an inversion and a warm layer causing non-snow. But the warm layer is much higher than 1,800' base elevation, and right now, even above summit elevation.

I know someone on this fourm who car says it 10 degrees all time
Summer or winter

Sugars b is awesome ski snowboard experience
I need to get soon
With the Warren Miller voucher hopefully

Boxtop Willie

7pm, Fayston at 1600 ft. 26 degrees, freezing rain and some sleet. Maybe 6 inches of snow today. Was on 89 near Stowe at 6, road was treated and reasonably clear. The road is OK, the bozos driving on it not so much.

cdskier

Around 30 on the valley floor at flatbread at the moment. Was a mix of everything from Rutland north on 100 but seems to have mostly stopped for now. Roads weren’t too bad. Decided to eat before going up the mountain to my condo though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

Interesting...currently snowing from the valley floor all the way up to my condo a bit above the base elevation.

Julius

Was out of town last couple days and just drove back up 89 from below ski country (Thr nite). Road conditions NH/VT were icy slow to say the least- an 18 wheeler turned over in the median near Royalton and a one lane crane crew attending to it.. couple other cars snow biffed. As of 1am, there's a light crust coat atop the latest snowfall at the mtn base.

Friday looks to be skiventful.

Sent using Tapatalk

smac75

Was out of town last couple days and just drove back up 89 from below ski country (Thr nite). Road conditions NH/VT were icy slow to say the least- an 18 wheeler turned over in the median near Royalton and a one lane crane crew attending to it.. couple other cars snow biffed. As of 1am, there's a light crust coat atop the latest snowfall at the mtn base.

Friday looks to be skiventful.

Sent using Tapatalk

You must have been one of the very few cars we saw on the road last night! Saw that rolled over semi - I think it happened much earlier in the day. Super quiet and better than I expected visibility-wise for sure. Saw some cars off the road but we didn’t feel the car slip once. I think we made the right choice driving last night instead of later today. Now let’s get on with the 3”/hr snow!

WinS

First of all, jealous I'm not there to ski and argue car temps vs web sites with you!

I find car temp gauges to be way less accurate, especially when the car is stationary, than the weather stations I have access too. I have also found the Sugarbush web site temps to be very accurate, as they too are taking a direct feed from a high end weather station that they own and have placed around the mountain (same one's they rely on to make snow).

I think the issue is that, even with cloud cover, solar radiation will impact the cars external temp reading. It would be interesting to see how residual heat from the engine block effects it too.

Now, if you had a legit thermometer I would stand down...

Josh is obviously right that there's an inversion and a warm layer causing non-snow. But the warm layer is much higher than 1,800' base elevation, and right now, even above summit elevation.

The accurate reading was 27 degrees. The Inversion was up around 9,000 feet yesterday.

WinS

The early bird doesn't get the worm today. Things should start getting good around 10am. That's when I plan to suit up today. Not as much freezing rain as feared to the GMX was only slightly delayed and the LP lifts should be close to scheduled opening this morning although we do have some initial delays on Bravo, NR, Summit and Castlerock. It will get better and better as day goes on and tomorrow even though cold should see some great skiing.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
The early bird doesn't get the worm today. Things should start getting good around 10am. That's when I plan to suit up today. Not as much freezing rain as feared to the GMX was only slightly delayed and the LP lifts should be close to scheduled opening this morning although we do have some initial delays on Bravo, NR, Summit and Castlerock. It will get better and better as day goes on and tomorrow even though cold should see some great skiing.

Nice! Looking like a solid weekend. We'll be up this evening. SB tomorrow, MRG Sunday. Can't wait!

Slidebrook87

Looks like North Ridge has some icing issues. Slide Brook is closed but no reason is given. Any idea what’s going on here?

TSQURD

Or read the snow report - First line:

*North Ridge is delayed due to icing. Slide Brook Express is closed for the day due to icing*

32* @~ 1700' - Its coming down heavy now!

Slidebrook87

Or read the snow report - First line:

*North Ridge is delayed due to icing. Slide Brook Express is closed for the day due to icing*

32* @~ 1700' - Its coming down heavy now!

Checked it about 45 minutes ago when that wasn’t there. Thanks.

WinS

Looks like North Ridge has some icing issues. Slide Brook is closed but no reason is given. Any idea what’s going on here?

NR is open now and SB is closed due to icing. Working on it now, but it will take all day most likely.

cdskier

Switched over to snow at the base just before 10am this morning. Coming down at a good rate now. Little mixing at the base once in a while, but things are filling in nicely and the crust is getting broken up with some human grooming.

Boxtop Willie

A good 6 - 7" in Fayston since 10am. Still snowing hard. Wind blowing with some urgency. Temps dropping. Light, fluffy consistency.
Not sure I would want to be coming up 89 in this.

smac75

A good 6 - 7" in Fayston since 10am. Still snowing hard. Wind blowing with some urgency. Temps dropping. Light, fluffy consistency.
Not sure I would want to be coming up 89 in this.

That wind kicked up out of now where! One very pleasant lift ride and run down CR then very next ride up was insane! Was sure they were going to close the lift. Huge gusts kicked up while on the lift and it stopped the lift a few times then moved along very slowly. One of the more white-knuckle lift rides I i've been on. And the temps plummeted! Strange (but fun) day. Tomorrow will be a mob scene i'm sure.