• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

That wind kicked up out of now where! One very pleasant lift ride and run down CR then very next ride up was insane! Was sure they were going to close the lift. Huge gusts kicked up while on the lift and it stopped the lift a few times then moved along very slowly. One of the more white-knuckle lift rides I i've been on. And the temps plummeted! Strange (but fun) day. Tomorrow will be a mob scene i'm sure.

Was in the CR lift at the same time as you it sounds like. That wind kicked up crazy about a minute after I got on it. My clothes were frozen solid when I got off the lift!

Runs just got better and better all day today.

IMG_5784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Skrn

Tomorrow has pretty strong wind from the west. Which lift are less likely to be affected from west wind in your opinion? Trying to decide whether we should go to my Ellen or Lincoln peak? Thanks

snow.bunny

Tomorrow has pretty strong wind from the west. Which lift are less likely to be affected from west wind in your opinion? Trying to decide whether we should go to my Ellen or Lincoln peak? Thanks

I would ski both if I were you. No point in being locked to only one. Slide Brook may go on wind hold, but if not, and lifts at either Lincoln or Ellen go on hold, you can just head over to the other side. Winds can be very unpredictable so take it as the day goes. By the way, I’m new around here. Anything I should know?

WinS

I would ski both if I were you. No point in being locked to only one. Slide Brook may go on wind hold, but if not, and lifts at either Lincoln or Ellen go on hold, you can just head over to the other side. Winds can be very unpredictable so take it as the day goes. By the way, I’m new around here. Anything I should know?

Cold may be more of the issue with SB. We do not it safety reasons it if below 5 degree. Wind should not be a factor.

pinnoke

How/why do you think yesterday's reporting of 7"-9" of new snow (up to 12" 3-day storm total) has now been revised to 12"-17" (14"-19" past 3-day total)? It was weird to see such a low amount reported while so many of us were comparing stories of how much snow we needed to clear from our nearby driveways! Having been away during the storm and looking at webcams, it did seem like there wasn't as much accumulation on the mid and summit snow stakes, perhaps due to wind? Was the low number a 'video' or human observation?

WinS

How/why do you think yesterday's reporting of 7"-9" of new snow (up to 12" 3-day storm total) has now been revised to 12"-17" (14"-19" past 3-day total)? It was weird to see such a low amount reported while so many of us were comparing stories of how much snow we needed to clear from our nearby driveways! Having been away during the storm and looking at webcams, it did seem like there wasn't as much accumulation on the mid and summit snow stakes, perhaps due to wind? Was the low number a 'video' or human observation?

The wind overnight really kicked in and swept both of the snow shakes which the Snowreporter used to estimate the total at 6:30am. When we all got out on the mountain it was obvious that we had a lot more. The time lapse didn’t really help since it was blowing steadily, so we used the old fashioned human measurement. Having skied around myself first thing I am very comfortable with the revision which is just about what neighbor MRG reported.

WinS

Just FYI.. For safety reasons we do not run it if the temps are below 5 degrees.

Greg

Staff member
The wind overnight really kicked in and swept both of the snow shakes which the Snowreporter used to estimate the total at 6:30am. When we all got out on the mountain it was obvious that we had a lot more. The time lapse didn’t really help since it was blowing steadily, so we used the old fashioned human measurement. Having skied around myself first thing I am very comfortable with the revision which is just about what neighbor MRG reported.

We were probably among the first dozen or so tracks down Castlerock Run Saturday morning and probably close to a foot of fresh overnight was what we experienced. Conditions held up nicely for yesterday at MRG. I think it was the first bluebird morning I've had there and with the fresh snow it was something special. Great weekend!

WinS

We were probably among the first dozen or so tracks down Castlerock Run Saturday morning and probably close to a foot of fresh overnight was what we experienced. Conditions held up nicely for yesterday at MRG. I think it was the first bluebird morning I've had there and with the fresh snow it was something special. Great weekend!

The head of patrol and I were the first �� and that is where we took a measurement. It was a good foot! Glad you got out this weekend.

SkierDude

I think I found Slidebrook! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283G2x8_T-M
Does anyone else find it ridiculous how he bashes Win for no reason? It is totally disrespectful. If he is going to do it, atleast say it to his face and not make rude comments behind his back. He literally attacks Win so often... Now I do not know if this is him, but considering all the sugarbush lift videos, many of which criticizing Win, I am going to assume it is. Win is a highly intelligent, qualified resort president, and this person needs to stop. If you want to talk lousy management, look at Vail at many of their recently purchased resorts. Constant mechanical issues, deceptive marketing, etc.

Look at the video description for this and many other vides of his...

STREETSKIER

761bad9f0b17f12da54d4b275c7b8942.jpg
. Sweet day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocks860

Skied at mount Ellen today. Snow was great but visibility basically at the top of Inverness was rather challenging. Exterminator and semi tough woods were great

slatham

Win, heard last Saturday could have been a record? Hope all went well. Looks like it might be set up to be a great Presidents weekend.

WinS

I think I found Slidebrook! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=283G2x8_T-M
Does anyone else find it ridiculous how he bashes Win for no reason? It is totally disrespectful. If he is going to do it, atleast say it to his face and not make rude comments behind his back. He literally attacks Win so often... Now I do not know if this is him, but considering all the sugarbush lift videos, many of which criticizing Win, I am going to assume it is. Win is a highly intelligent, qualified resort president, and this person needs to stop. If you want to talk lousy management, look at Vail at many of their recently purchased resorts. Constant mechanical issues, deceptive marketing, etc.

Look at the video description for this and many other vides of his...

He is actually a very nice young man who is passionate about lifts. He does a lot of research and knows a great deal. He means very well and enjoys Sugarbush a lot. We were all young once and learn along the way. I am not at all offended. I admire his passion

WinS

Win, heard last Saturday could have been a record? Hope all went well. Looks like it might be set up to be a great Presidents weekend.

Nope, but a very busy day. Powder days brings ‘em out and we missed the icings others had south of us. Having SB and CR spinning now and the woods skiing well really helps on a busy day. I am sure Saturday and Sunday will be very busy. Early turns are what to do.

rocks860

Also took my yearly trek down lower fis, snow was ok but run out was rough as usual

Slidebrook87

Yes that was my video. I was not trying to bash Win in any way, but I was talking about how Slide Brook has changed since the 90s. Win and I get along well and I hope to continue that. Much of this is just stating ideas that I hope can happen in the future of Sugarbush and problems as a skier that I have noticed. I’ll be skiing with some friends this weekend so it will be nice to have the crowds spread out a bit with Slide Brook running. More people are riding it this season than I have ever seen before.

Slidebrook87

Also took my yearly trek down lower fis, snow was ok but run out was rough as usual

Last time I skied it the conditions were amazing. I can't decide what's my favorite run at Sugarbush, but Lower FIS is in the top 5 for sure. Recently I found the history of why that runout is there. Pretty interesting to think that it used to be a regulation length race course back in the Glen Ellen days. Surprised the rest wasn't cut some time in the 80s or 90s.