• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I've been to three weddings up at the top of gate house. It is nice for the ceremony, but if you now have a building up there and you set up for a wedding, tables, chairs, decorations, food, band, it would be really hard to call an audible.

rocks860

So how crappy should I expect it to be going up on Saturday? I have one last quad pack ticket to use and no opportunity for the foreseeable future to get up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

Groomers and hard moguls with some dust on top...

Sadly...yes. It is a shame how quickly we go from amazing last week to "meh" this week. Sunday could be nice once things warm up though.

HowieT2

So is the Conference Center and Hotel at the bottom near the School House off the table? Just curious. We were thinking that the Wedding and conference revenue coming in year round would virtually pay for it.

maybe its just not considered an on mountain project. fwiw-I think the demand is there for a hotel. I know people have had trouble getting rooms.

cdskier

maybe its just not considered an on mountain project. fwiw-I think the demand is there for a hotel. I know people have had trouble getting rooms.

Then again...if we don't add rooms, it helps limit our potential crowds to a point :razz:

MorningWoods

I've been to three weddings up at the top of gate house. It is nice for the ceremony, but if you now have a building up there and you set up for a wedding, tables, chairs, decorations, food, band, it would be really hard to call an audible.

Yes. Exactly. Major issue. Yeah we have a great lodge for 40k or whatever it costs. But you may be in a tent because we don’t have an alternative to get up there in bad weather?

Shredmonkey254

Ugh. Not ideal. In hindsight really wish I had gone up last week

I try not to miss many weekends, but this weekend is out for me. Yard work and bike riding is much more appealing to me than driving north for the hardpack. This does break rule #1 which is "Always go the mountain, there is always some fun"
I would wait for a spring weekend in April when you can have some real fun if you are not booked that far out.

kingslug

I missed all the good stuff too. If its going to be warm later in the day I just...go later. But I can do that at Stowe as its close.

WinS

So is the Conference Center and Hotel at the bottom near the School House off the table? Just curious. We were thinking that the Wedding and conference revenue coming in year round would virtually pay for it.

No just a separate project to look at and see if the ROI if there. Personally, I think it is but will have to prove it.

WinS

One would think it would be way more cost effective, less disruptive and less time consuming to do the Adaptive addition and new Ellen lodge at the same time.

The issue with ME Lodge is we are maxed out on water and waste water, but would need to find more of both to do any expansion. That is likely but will take time and planning.

Slidebrook87

The idea should be that one can start their day at either side and not feel like they’re compromising in terms of amenities. Things like the fireplace and deck should be kept as design features of the new lodge. I feel like more natural light would also be a nice improvement. Seeing what has been done with Gate House, I’m sure something great could be designed.

cdskier

I like to feel I'm "compromising" on amenities and focusing on skiing. That's why I'm usually down the road ;)

I focus on skiing as well. I have 30 days at SB this year and could probably count on 1 hand the number of days I've been in any of the base lodges at either Lincoln or Ellen.

Slidebrook87

I like to feel I'm "compromising" on amenities and focusing on skiing. That's why I'm usually down the road ;)

Mad River will always be a unique place, but Sugarbush is a resort not a simple ski area like MRG. Sugarbush is a resort, and the drastic difference in amenities at Lincoln versus Ellen is astonishing. The Lincoln Peak base area has been invested in so much and early/late season operations have all been switched to Lincoln. It’s a shame. If I had it my way I would’ve invested in both sides gradually with Lincoln having more of a focus on real estate since much of it was developed years ago. At this point I don’t think Ellen should get much more than a nice and large base lodge. I actually like Ellen in many aspects better than Lincoln, the main aspect being the lift system. Two relatively fast detachables get you to a lot of vertical in a short time.