• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

I focus on skiing as well. I have 30 days at SB this year and could probably count on 1 hand the number of days I've been in any of the base lodges at either Lincoln or Ellen.

Yes, but most families and guests appreciate nice base facilities. Ski bums will always be ski bums no matter where they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikec142

The idea should be that one can start their day at either side and not feel like they’re compromising in terms of amenities. Things like the fireplace and deck should be kept as design features of the new lodge. I feel like more natural light would also be a nice improvement. Seeing what has been done with Gate House, I’m sure something great could be designed.

Would love to see all the great ideas for Sugarbush put into action. However, the real world includes the financial aspect of any improvements. So to me, the question would be, how bad do you want a new lodge at ME? Would you be willing to pay $20/day pass more? What's the number?

bdfreetuna

I like Ellen too but haven't been in years. If it wasn't right next door to MRG might be a different story. I usually ski mid week so skiing right on to Single chair or Sunny Side is the East Coast dream.

That said I have *never* booted up @ my car without bringing a packpack and boots into the lodge to change into. Even if there is a shuttle bus, it's just my habit. My least favorite part of skiing is the walk from car to lodge -- and usually I'm buying a lift ticket in the lodge anyway. Walking with ski boots ain't my thing.

So Sugarbush South, the lodge being so far away from the parking and generally crowded and annoying, you gotta climb a bunch of stairs and walk past giant Protect Our Winter banners (political charlatan NGO), a slight deterrent. I won't go on weekends until late March at least (and I hope to if Win doesn't ban me). Mt Ellen I can't even accurately remember the lodge it's been too long. I remember it being similar to Bolton lodge though, which is smallish yet adequate most of the time.

Would you be willing to pay $20/day pass more? What's the number?

$159

Last edited:

Slidebrook87

I like Ellen too but haven't been in years. If it wasn't right next door to MRG might be a different story. I usually ski mid week so skiing right on to Single chair or Sunny Side is the East Coast dream.

That said I have *never* booted up @ my car without bringing a packpack and boots into the lodge to change into. My least favorite part of skiing is the walk from car to lodge -- and usually I'm buying a lift ticket in the lodge anyway. Walking with boots ain't my thing.

So Sugarbush South, the lodge being so far away from the parking and generally crowded and annoying, a slight deterrent. Mt Ellen I can't even accurately remember the lodge it's been too long. I remember it being similar to Bolton lodge though, which is smallish yet adequate most of the time.

There’s always the Jitney

KustyTheKlown

Would love to see all the great ideas for Sugarbush put into action. However, the real world includes the financial aspect of any improvements. So to me, the question would be, how bad do you want a new lodge at ME? Would you be willing to pay $20/day pass more? What's the number?

lol, as if he pays anything for anything.

mikec142

Sugarbush is a resort, and the drastic difference in amenities at Lincoln versus Ellen is astonishing. The Lincoln Peak base area has been invested in so much and early/late season operations have all been switched to Lincoln. It’s a shame. If I had it my way I would’ve invested in both sides gradually with Lincoln having more of a focus on real estate since much of it was developed years ago.

SB87...have you skied at Stowe in the past 10 years? The Spruce side is gorgeous and the Mansfield side has a base lodge that makes Mount Ellen look good.

It's hard to build both sides gradually. There has been a lot of (money generating) real estate built at LP. People won't buy there if there aren't amenities.

mikec142

That said I have *never* booted up @ my car without bringing a packpack and boots into the lodge to change into. Even if there is a shuttle bus, it's just my habit. My least favorite part of skiing is the walk from car to lodge -- and usually I'm buying a lift ticket in the lodge anyway. Walking with ski boots ain't my thing.

Interesting. I'm almost the exact opposite. I'm wearing my ski gear (minus jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, etc.) on the ride from lodging to the mountain. After dropping the family or companions off with their gear as close to the mountain as possible, I park and gear up at the car. I'm not carrying anything with me that can't fit in a jacket or pant pocket.

Slidebrook87

SB87...have you skied at Stowe in the past 10 years? The Spruce side is gorgeous and the Mansfield side has a base lodge that makes Mount Ellen look good.

It's hard to build both sides gradually. There has been a lot of (money generating) real estate built at LP. People won't buy there if there aren't amenities.

Yes. If this was a Stowe thread I would have the same thinking, but not quite as strong. Since Spruce and Mansfield are so close together, you can easily boot up at Spruce and hop on the gondola over. I heard somewhere that they can’t change the Mansfield lodge because it is on forest service land.

KustyTheKlown

i also tend to get dressed in the lodge, but im starting in brooklyn at 2:30 AM and i just put socks and base layers and jeans on, then finish dressing when i arrive.

on sundays i typically get fully dressed at lodging and drive to mountain, but bring bag with civilian clothes to change into in the lodge before driving home sunday afternoon/evening

i change right in the lodge/cafeteria and don't really care. ski base layers all come off and get replaced with a t-shirt. bottom base layers come off and i'm standing there in t-shirts and boxer briefs for two seconds while i put my jeans back on. get a few weird looks but for the most part no one seems to care.

bdfreetuna

Yeah that's why I wear nylon/poly running pants with zipper bottoms to fit over the boots over my underwear and under my ski pants on ski days.

Perfectly comfortable to drive in there and back and I don't have to expose myself in the lodge (always thinking of the women and children). If it's a really warm spring day I can just ditch the ski pants altogether.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes. If this was a Stowe thread I would have the same thinking, but not quite as strong. Since Spruce and Mansfield are so close together, you can easily boot up at Spruce and hop on the gondola over. I heard somewhere that they can’t change the Mansfield lodge because it is on forest service land.

Basically no parking at Spruce. Have to boot up at Mansfield and take Over Easy Gondola over to Spruce. Totally blows for families with young kids. Bar none Stowe has the worst setup in New England for young families unless you are Uber wealthy and can afford staying in the lodge at Spruce.

Mansfield lodge is preserved on the list of National Historic places. That's why it can't be augmented.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

When I am not booting up in my living room and skiing over to hill, I park and walk up to gate house lodge and boot up in the plaza on one of the benches. I find that when I boot up in the lodge I get too hot. Unless it is a blizzard outside. Then I usually boot up upstairs were there is more room. I have to have my bag with me so so I can change out of my wet gear and have a few drinks with friends in the bar.

rocks860

Not sure I’m going to have another free weekend so I’m gonna head up on Saturday, at least it will be a day of skiing

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I really like the Mt Ellen base lodge, as well as the GML upstairs. Sure, it can get crowded on weekends, but that's part of the charm. There is usually space available upstairs on the flanks on either side of GML.

One big drawback is the restrooms all the way in the basement. This makes it a trek if you're up at GML and nature calls. I don't ski so my snowboard boots are more comfortable and more stair friendly, but still. I believe this is being rectified as part of the Vermont Adaptive expansion, at least with restrooms on the main level.

I'd like to see Castlerock Pub out of the basement before a new ME base. Imagine how cool it would be if the pub was upstairs, somehow. Maybe expand closer to the plaza and put the pub above, to the east of the Courtyard Room. It could still have access during an event in the upstairs rooms via the existing elevator and another stairway? Main entrance to the pub would be by the Bag Storage room.

All for a lodge at Gate House plateau. Have always thought something like that would be very popular.

Hoping for a good storm soon... coming up in 2 weeks!!!

KustyTheKlown

mount ellen base lodge would be fine if it wasnt overrun by racer children and their parents with their tableclothes and crock pots and seat saving bullshit.

Slidebrook87

mount ellen base lodge would be fine if it wasnt overrun by racer children and their parents with their tableclothes and crock pots and seat saving bullshit.

Agreed. Those GMVS kids have to be some of the most annoying people I have ever encountered. Then again, they barely ever say a word. Haha.

cdskier

Yes, but most families and guests appreciate nice base facilities. Ski bums will always be ski bums no matter where they go.

If you're calling me a ski bum, then we must have different definitions of ski bums...

KustyTheKlown

Not a 100% thing, but generally, the shittier the non-skiing amenities, the more I like the place

see: magic, mad river, mount ellen, silverton, a-basin, crystal, alta, kicking horse, etc

You can take your fancy restaurants, spas, and mountain coasters and shove it. nothing worse than an okemo, Stratton, vail, etc. places like k and bush fall in the middle of the spectrum. soul skiing is about skiing.

Slidebrook87

If you're calling me a ski bum, then we must have different definitions of ski bums...

Just curious, what would be your definition of a ski bum? I usually just use it as a general term for someone that only cares about the skiing itself and is generally hardcore.

cdskier

Not a 100% thing, but generally, the shittier the non-skiing amenities, the more I like the place

see: magic, mad river, mount ellen, silverton, a-basin, crystal, alta, kicking horse, etc

You can take your fancy restaurants, spas, and mountain coasters and shove it. nothing worse than an okemo, Stratton, vail, etc. places like k and bush fall in the middle of the spectrum. soul skiing is about skiing.

I'd personally be a bit disappointed to see Ellen with flashy new base facilities. I do think it would negatively impact the character that makes ME so cool today.