• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Soon as I mention that the web cams are all working on the app, they shut them all off. WTF

Seems to be working fine now for me...maybe it was a temporary issue this morning?

cdskier

Thanks. Practice slope won't do it for me. Tomorrow I start my snow dancing and juju shrine.

My one and only day ever at MRG was on 12/12 (of 2018). Of course that year they were nearly 100% open at the time and it was incredible (and empty).

nhskier1969

Not only do we have the Virus to be depressed about but know we have Josh Fox's single chair blog winter outlook.
:(

pinnoke

Fox's outlook seems inconclusive, so hoping for the best (and that I'll be able to take advantage of those 'good' spans on the winter calendar. It's 5PM, and still no indication on the SB website regarding locking in an Opening date, which had been promised for today. Damn!! Indeed, though the past 48 hours have produced images and a taste of winter, the next several days' forecast looks crappy for our purpose!! No Snovember this year...

Blurski

Fox's outlook seems inconclusive, so hoping for the best (and that I'll be able to take advantage of those 'good' spans on the winter calendar. It's 5PM, and still no indication on the SB website regarding locking in an Opening date, which had been promised for today. Damn!! Indeed, though the past 48 hours have produced images and a taste of winter, the next several days' forecast looks crappy for our purpose!! No Snovember this year...
They just posted, Thursday now.

bumpcrasher

Very much appreciate the benefit of being on the Ikon and using up the 7 days at Killington. Yet does anyone know why Sugarbush is the last major mountain in the East to open this year? Was there a pipe burst??

cdskier

Biggest reason that comes to my mind is that they simply have less snowmaking capacity than many other major resorts. When you have marginal temperatures...that weakness shows prominently.

Shredmonkey254

Biggest reason that comes to my mind is that they simply have less snowmaking capacity than many other major resorts. When you have marginal temperatures...that weakness shows prominently.
The two Alterra owned resorts are the only two major resorts that are not open or making snow in VT. Wondering if their other resorts are closed in other states.

icecoast1

The two Alterra owned resorts are the only two major resorts that are not open or making snow in VT. Wondering if their other resorts are closed in other states.
Stratton was making snow and stockpiling it when they had temps. But they dont seem to be in a rush to open. Might be smart with the short term weather patterns

1dog

How much has to do with weather, and more likely, the state doing everything it can to dissuade people from coming from out of state.

Say you were going to have a major business conference, and you had an $X budget. You find out all from out of state - a large % of your attendees, were ( asked, told, warned, etc.) not to come due to a potential spread of a disease and a possible fine.

You'd probably downsize or cancel the event until things improved.

Skiing at K-Mart was pretty good yesterday - soft snow, not too crowded - except at the usual intersections - and a LOT of newbies, despite the warning that there is ' no beginner terrain'.

Plates from all 6 NE states plus MY/NJ. Did I mention a lot of beginners? 5 or 6 lifts open- few if any lines, pretty much everyone wore ( or were asked to) wear masks.

Worth the trip. I have an Ikon so the Bush thing is less important to me - turns on snow - where ever they are, as long as they are 'included' is ok with me.

stays cool above 3000' after Tuesday.

cdskier

It is currently 38 at the base and 30 at the summit at Sugarbush. Where would you like them to make snow? Since early November they've had guns running whenever it was cold enough. They simply don't have the firepower that other resorts have to make it fast enough (particularly at lower elevations) to take advantage of the short windows we've had this year. This has been an issue for years. It just often gets overlooked and forgotten about once they start getting natural snow and have long enough cold spells to finish snow-making. Often the argument is "why is it taking Sugarbush so long to expand their terrain". Just look back through this thread over the years in the early season. Comes up quite often and long before Alterra bought them...