• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Couple of thoughts...kind of a big difference if you start at the top of HG as opposed to say, the bottom of HG. 20 minutes sounds really, really fast to me. I think the last time I did it, it was closer to 35 minutes (I was with my kids).

Takes me about 20-25ish (and I usually consider myself on the slower side as I stop a lot on the uphill parts).

As to those that want it open vs. those that don't mind the hike...I'm all for it opening (this weekend when I will be up there). Under normal circumstances, at best, I might hike the ridge once. On a good day I will spend the whole day lapping the CR pod via the lift. Not exactly the same.

The most I've ever done via the lift is maybe 3 runs in a row at CR. Conditions would have to be incredible or there would have to be no one there for me to lap it more than that with all the other terrain to ski. Hard for me to justify waiting in line at CR otherwise. As for hiking the ridge, I've done it twice in a day but never more than that. Again, usually too much other terrain I want to ski.

KustyTheKlown

its not a strenuous hike. its actually a very chill enjoyable little walk.

i once did that hike with like 101 fever. not in covid times. it was the first and only trip i took with my dad and my sister since we were little kids, and i was desperate to not cancel. i kept my sickness secret. they didn't get sick. we had a great time.

JimG.

Staff member
Why? Because it’s a double? I don’t see it.
Because the boarding and liftline area is cramped. Tough to maintain distance with all the skiers who will want to ski there when the lift opens.

Plus most SB regulars seem to prefer the lift stays closed and it remains hiking only. Easy management decision IMO, no need for extra staff, keep the area uncrowded and please your core group of skiers. A no brainer.

cdskier

Because the boarding and liftline area is cramped. Tough to maintain distance with all the skiers who will want to ski there when the lift opens.

Plus most SB regulars seem to prefer the lift stays closed and it remains hiking only. Easy management decision IMO, no need for extra staff, keep the area uncrowded and please your core group of skiers. A no brainer.
Personally I think if they were not planning to run if this year due to COVID, they would have announced that. Instead I'm of the mindset that it is a temporary decision that they simply don't believe it is "time" to run it yet.

Personally I'm a bit torn. On the one hand I'm a bit lazy and am more likely to ski it via the lift than the ridge hike. But on the other hand I also really like how peaceful it is over there when hiking is the only option.

Hawk

Like I said if it keeps snowing I bet we see it for this weekend. I will go out on a limb and predict we see it Friday. Its snowing now and there is more in the forcast. Go look at the web cam.

Slidebrook87

Personally I think the lift should run. Castlerock is a legendary area of Sugarbush and is quite well known with eastern skiers. While some people enjoy when the lift is closed, to say it’s open on the trail report is a bit misleading. Not everyone wants/can hike across the Ridgeline, but they still want to experience Castlerock. I say if there’s enough snow, run the lift. People enjoy the area and a lot of Sugarbush skiers won’t bother skiing it until the lift is open. In my opinion, to truly be 100% open like they say they are, all trails have to be easily accessible to the average person. Plus, Castlerock is already a very low capacity lift which does not put many skiers per hour on the trails. Combine that with COVID capacity restrictions on chairs and even with the lift, it won’t be very crowded at all.

mikec142

What I said before is that I would look at the cam when at the top of HG and see what the line looked like before heading down there. If the line was long I would not go down, I would go over. With the cams out this year I would just make the assumption that the lines are always long there.
Sorry. I guess I need to work on my reading comprehension a bit. :)

cdskier

Like I said if it keeps snowing I bet we see it for this weekend. I will go out on a limb and predict we see it Friday. Its snowing now and there is more in the forcast. Go look at the web cam.
I'm inclined to agree. Definitely had more snow today than we were supposed to get. It was sunny when I first woke up this morning...but that lasted about 30 minutes before clouds took over completely. It has been snowing on and off most of the day. Pretty decent squalls a couple times too.

mikec142

Personally I think the lift should run. Castlerock is a legendary area of Sugarbush and is quite well known with eastern skiers. While some people enjoy when the lift is closed, to say it’s open on the trail report is a bit misleading. Not everyone wants/can hike across the Ridgeline, but they still want to experience Castlerock. I say if there’s enough snow, run the lift. People enjoy the area and a lot of Sugarbush skiers won’t bother skiing it until the lift is open. In my opinion, to truly be 100% open like they say they are, all trails have to be easily accessible to the average person. Plus, Castlerock is already a very low capacity lift which does not put many skiers per hour on the trails. Combine that with COVID capacity restrictions on chairs and even with the lift, it won’t be very crowded at all.
I agree with this 100%. I'm not complaining that it's not open yet as there hasn't been enough snow. But I'm hoping that it will be open this weekend.

Even with the lift running, it's incredibly peaceful up there. I've been on Middle Earth many times on a prime day and been the only one there.

As a side note, I make it a point to take a picture looking what I assume is South from the same place each day that I'm up there. I blew one of them up and had it framed...pretty cool. Will try to post a picture.

Attachments

• 7FE17DDD-C1B2-4C33-9152-786DB31DEB1C.jpeg
    7FE17DDD-C1B2-4C33-9152-786DB31DEB1C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 0A3408E9-CB92-4511-8FD3-846BC6D87C44.jpeg
    0A3408E9-CB92-4511-8FD3-846BC6D87C44.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 44

mikec142

Two more from different days (obviously) on Castlerock.

Attachments

• 8420DF84-AB72-4AFD-9C25-EC6E67693163.jpeg
    8420DF84-AB72-4AFD-9C25-EC6E67693163.jpeg
    610.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 3AB0BD71-1CB5-4693-853D-F44510E8786E.jpeg
    3AB0BD71-1CB5-4693-853D-F44510E8786E.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 18

cdskier

As a side note, I make it a point to take a picture looking what I assume is South from the same place each day that I'm up there. I blew one of them up and had it framed...pretty cool. Will try to post a picture.
I like the lighting in that shot...very interesting. Almost looks like it was taken at night.

NYDB

I am trying to imagine the person who is able to ski/ride the castlerock area but not able to do the 25 min hike. Seems to be a very east coast viewpoint to say that if it is 'open' you have to have a lift running to it. A lot of runs out west you have to hike to and they are considered open.

KustyTheKlown

someone on this board was asking about the hike once some time ago and said he gets winded walking from the car to super bravo. jesus crips.

o_O

Powder Whore

You guys must be really fast skaters/hikers. I fully confess to not being the fittest 50 year old on the hill, but there is no way that I'm hiking the LT to get to CR faster than waiting on the lift line.

As to those that want it open vs. those that don't mind the hike...I'm all for it opening (this weekend when I will be up there). Under normal circumstances, at best, I might hike the ridge once. On a good day I will spend the whole day lapping the CR pod via the lift. Not exactly the same.
Mike in my opinion this is the problem. You and about 1000 other people will hot lap this pod and it will be beat down to the rocks within a few hours. I mean no disrespect when I say that.

Also for you guys who really need some lift serviced gnar why not ski Mrg for a day. The entire place is like CR and it probably 10x the size.

bumpcrasher

Castlerock is lift accessible!! There are plenty of places we can hike to earn our turns or get sidecountry (like Slidebrook).
And right now, it is NOT a coverage issue. At MRG, Chute, Paradise & Fall Line (similar terrain) had great coverage yesterday and are not "skied down to rocks". Not sure why the "wait for the weekend" as the chair would put as many people up the hill tomorrow as it would on a Saturday. PLEASE OPEN!!

mikec142

I like the lighting in that shot...very interesting. Almost looks like it was taken at night.
Thanks. It was definitely a special day. If I recall correctly, the picture was taken later in the afternoon, I'm going to guess around 3pm. FWIW, it was shot with an iPhone Xs.

mikec142

Mike in my opinion this is the problem. You and about 1000 other people will hot lap this pod and it will be beat down to the rocks within a few hours. I mean no disrespect when I say that.

Also for you guys who really need some lift serviced gnar why not ski Mrg for a day. The entire place is like CR and it probably 10x the size.
No disrespect taken. Your point is a valid one. And it's one that I truly understand. I love the wild and untamed feeling that Castlerock exudes. It's why I love MRG too. I wish that somehow my Ikon Pass would include a few days at MRG. Even with the IP, I make it a point to ski MRG a few times each year (this year may be tough).

The other side to that coin is that there is a lift there for a reason. Slidebrook and the Church area are all there for hike to terrain. Given the slow and widely spaced double lift, you can't really hot lap CR. Even on a great day, I find there are so few people up there. I'll add one of my favorite pictures to this post. It was taken on a Saturday after winter storm Skylar dumped 60" earlier in the week. The picture is near the top of Castlerock Run. You can see how crowded it can get. :)

Attachments

• 40C31ACF-15BF-47EF-9BAA-25863387B98A.jpeg
    40C31ACF-15BF-47EF-9BAA-25863387B98A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20

mikec142

I am trying to imagine the person who is able to ski/ride the castlerock area but not able to do the 25 min hike. Seems to be a very east coast viewpoint to say that if it is 'open' you have to have a lift running to it. A lot of runs out west you have to hike to and they are considered open.
I'm able to hike it. That's not the issue. The issue is do I want to hike it. Yeah sure, every once in a while it's fine. But I have no interest in doing it multiple times per day.

My knowledge of western ski resorts is only so, so. But how many of those hike to runs that you're talking about actually have lift service at all?