• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

@WinS what was the thought process behind opening/closing Castlerock back in ye olden days when you ran the hill? Snow depth is the natural answer...any other factors?
Staffing is a challenge this reason for a couple of reason. Last year we had 120 J’1’s and nearly 50% were devoted to lifts. Covid eliminated that option. Fortunately a lot of college students have taken gap years or have extended vacation. Also COVID protocols require any one who had been in close contact with someone testing positive has to quarantine. If someone has the sniffles or a fever, they have to quarantine and get tested. I believe there will be adequate staffing to run both CR and SB this Saturday. But, each day is different staffing can be impacted. The SB roads have been groomed out so access to the towers for the lift mechanics is good.

When snowmaking is done which should be soon, hopefully a number of the Snowmakers will move over to lifts as in the past. This will heLP because a number of the students will be returning to college at the end of January. They are still hiring if you know of anyone wanting work.

Slidebrook87

Good news on today’s snow report

Attachments

• 9F573A51-856A-48B8-8E19-FB5857F7EA5B.jpeg
    9F573A51-856A-48B8-8E19-FB5857F7EA5B.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 12

WinS

I don't think you can touch it without a huge process that involves the state and the Federal government. It is National Forest.
That is correct. As was said, “don’t f***” with it“ or it could be shut down.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I took one for the team this morning and hiked over to castlerock. ‘Nothing to see there. Avoid it if you can. There definitely isn’t untouched blower powder all over.

Totally agree...hiked it at 2:00 today...what a waste of time. The skiing at SB just really sucks overall right now...;)

They've nickeled and dimed their way to at least another foot since the weekend. 2" fell today on top of 2" the night before and 4" the day before that. If you do find some untouched it's getting stupid deep. I passed through pockets up in Paradise woods that were easily 18"-24"+. It's great now...just give us one more 1-2 footer and we'll be sitting REALLY pretty!

1dog

Totally agree...hiked it at 2:00 today...what a waste of time. The skiing at SB just really sucks overall right now...;)

They've nickeled and dimed their way to at least another foot since the weekend. 2" fell today on top of 2" the night before and 4" the day before that. If you do find some untouched it's getting stupid deep. I passed through pockets up in Paradise woods that were easily 18"-24"+. It's great now...just give us one more 1-2 footer and we'll be sitting REALLY pretty!
This reminds me of an interview with JD Rockefeller when he was the richest man on the face of the earth. . ' you own Standard Oil, ( listed all his major company holdings), sir, how much is enough? ' JD puts his thumb and forefinger together ' juuuuuust a little bit more. . '

Powder Whore

I took one for the team this morning and hiked over to castlerock. ‘Nothing to see there. Avoid it if you can. There definitely isn’t untouched blower powder all over.
I got 2 laps in late on Thursday. WOW, it is dreamy over there.

mikec142

10 degrees at Gore this Saturday..better than..9 degrees...
Weather Underground saying high of 3 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. Down from yesterday when it was looking like 10 and 11.

edited...and now a couple of hours later back up to 9 and 11.

Last edited:

HowieT2

Can someone explain how the snow report has zero snow in the last 24 hours. unless I’m losing my mind it snowed yesterday during the day and last night covering the car multiple times. I know it wasn’t much, but it definitely snowed.

1dog

Can someone explain how the snow report has zero snow in the last 24 hours. unless I’m losing my mind it snowed yesterday during the day and last night covering the car multiple times. I know it wasn’t much, but it definitely snowed.
Keeps crowds away-I like it-and your report of how crappy and uninteresting CR was.

cdskier

Yea...that seemed a little odd to me too. Although if that is intended to be reflecting how much new snow there was since the lifts closed yesterday, then about 0" is right at least for the base. There wasn't much after that point. I drove down to town to get some groceries and pickup some takeout from Peasant (left my condo at 4 and was back at 6). There was only a dusting on my truck this morning when I looked out the window. It was so little that the sun has since melted it.

cdskier

Got out for some runs this afternoon after I finished working. Hiked over to CR to get a run in there before the lift turns tomorrow. Absolutely terrible! They definitely should hold off on running that lift for at least a few more weeks. :thumbup:

And that hike always reminds me how badly out of shape I am (especially this year where I didn't do a whole lot for the last 9 months!)

HowieT2

For the record, the snow report which yesterday had zero in 24 hours, now has 3” in the past 24 and 5” in the past 48”. So they found the 2” that wasn’t reported yesterday.

nhskier1969

Wow, there's Bernie going up Heaven Gate(lol) but I didn't take him as a snowboarder.
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 1.03.38 PM.png

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Haha... but that's not heaven's gate... Chairs are too wide and its a Doppelmayr (Heaven's Gate is a Poma). Given the fact that the chair has leg rests and the chair spacing, I don't believe that's at Sugarbush.