• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

I skied Ellen today. Its definitely out there if your willing to go find it. Many of the stashes held up through the wknd. I'm assuming bc of weather & wind holds. I guess the sacrificial lamb for the weekend was Inverness, Its beat to heck over there.
Also the guns were BLAZING on Reimergasse. It's really impressive to see the amount of "firepower" when ops cranks it up.
Picture taken Sunday just before the guns were turned on. I can assume that some whales are starting to form. They gotta build up a lot of snow on that trail for the jumps. I’m by no means a snowmaking expert, but I’d guess it would be at least 4-7 days of the guns running before they can shut them off and let the massive whales drain. I’m surprised they’re running sunshine midweek with active snowmaking under it and no large park. Certainly less people riding it this past weekend than on a typical weekend (due to Reimergasse not being set up)

Attachments

• 95009620-B869-4730-8993-2536C9C437E1.jpeg
    95009620-B869-4730-8993-2536C9C437E1.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 26

Hawk

The long range GFS Model has us coming into a very active pattern. There are 4 storms shown. Feb 1-2nd, 6-7th, 9th and maybe the 12th but that is way out there. The first on seems to be trending south. The second looks ah Wet. :-( The 3rd looks big! We will see. This may define the rest of the winter. Pray for snow.

machski

The long range GFS Model has us coming into a very active pattern. There are 4 storms shown. Feb 1-2nd, 6-7th, 9th and maybe the 12th but that is way out there. The first on seems to be trending south. The second looks ah Wet. :-( The 3rd looks big! We will see. This may define the rest of the winter. Pray for snow.
Well, nice little 4 inch refresh today that 2 days ago was suppose to produce at most flurries. Heck, after it started in SoNH, channel 9 was changing their snowfall maps upward on this one. Odd year, models haven't been all that good. Beyond 72 hours I don't trust any of it this year. Hope your second GFS hint trends the way of the first. VT might be able to ride a NCP event, but NH and ME can't.

Hawk

We see what shakes out. I just hope it's a net gain. Who knows right? I am supposed to head your way for some Backcountry with my counterparts once conditions warrant. I think you guys need one more good storm. Lets just hope.

thetrailboss

Staff member
In other Central Vermont news...Keurig laid off a bunch of Waterbury employees yesterday. Anyone impacted or know anything about it?

WinS

In other Central Vermont news...Keurig laid off a bunch of Waterbury employees yesterday. Anyone impacted or know anything about it?
I believe it was the store they had at the old Waterbury train station which has been closed since March. They are still hiring for their Essex plant.

Last edited:

Keelhauled

I believe it was the stire they had at the old Waterbury train station which has been closed since March. They are still hiring for their Essex plant.
Yes, WCAX says it was at a cafe (I didn't even realize there was one), not the manufacturing plant.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I believe it was the stire they had at the old Waterbury train station which has been closed since March. They are still hiring for their Essex plant.
That's what WCAX reported but I know that the manufacturing facility had many higher-ups that were let go.....

WinS

There has been discussion about the missing lift web cams. This is from this week’s Sugar Blog. The view for the web cams would have told a different story. This shows what lift lines really looked like a one of the busiest days this year.

http://links.email1.ascent360.org/e...hCMlpsZ0haRzlab0RCcVFlRms5NHZFdXNTYTZUTUU9S0/

if you have not seen these weekly blogs, John Bleh has been putting out really interesting weekly information.

Howitzer

There has been discussion about the missing lift web cams. This is from this week’s Sugar Blog. The view for the web cams would have told a different story. This shows what lift lines really looked like a one of the busiest days this year.

http://links.email1.ascent360.org/e...hCMlpsZ0haRzlab0RCcVFlRms5NHZFdXNTYTZUTUU9S0/

if you have not seen these weekly blogs, John Bleh has been putting out really interesting weekly information.
Wonderful insight and thanks for sharing. Turn on the webcams and let people be the judge. Other Alterra properties have them and they seem to be working fine. The counter to Bleh's 'angle in which you are viewing things' argument is that limited chair capacity due to C-19 makes the lift wait times comparable, if not longer. MRG even offers better publicly available webcams than Sugarbush. Who would have thought we would ever say that? Some people are fortunate enough to pick and choose when they ski, and the cams are simply another tool in the quiver. The more information, the better. Help your customers make informed decisions.

Slidebrook87

Wonderful insight and thanks for sharing. Turn on the webcams and let people be the judge. Other Alterra properties have them and they seem to be working fine. The counter to Bleh's 'angle in which you are viewing things' argument is that limited chair capacity due to C-19 makes the lift wait times comparable, if not longer. MRG even offers better publicly available webcams than Sugarbush. Who would have thought we would ever say that? Some people are fortunate enough to pick and choose when they ski, and the cams are simply another tool in the quiver. The more information, the better. Help your customers make informed decisions.
Agreed, but then again there is Sarah...

tumbler

I'm not really following why the webcams are so important. They were a nice luxury but not a necessity by any means. Leave them off, I don't need to be studying the corral at HG from my desk. If you get there and the line is too long, move on to another lift.

keyser soze

I'm all for posting web cams so people can decide if they want the hassle and waiting on a typical day. That may keep some people away and reduced traffic is a good thing, both COVID spread-wise and for the people who do come out and get shorter lines and better conditions.

Hawk

I see both sides. My interest is definitely not for looking at lines before I go or from my desk. I go no matter what. It is more about checking the app before I move to a new pod like Castlerock for come back down to Gatehouse. It's just convenient to know. The other side is that there are way too many asshats that want to whip up fear and show the lines. It can only end poorly for us skiers. I guess I lean more to not giving these people ammo.