• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

dblskifanatic

I don't know why there is such a problem finding workers but the evidence to date doesnt support the argument that its due to overly generous unemployment benefits. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/23/opinion/workers-wages-recovery.html
maybe those benefits have to be unavailable for some time before workers feel compelled to return to work.

it does not have to be overly generous it could even be equal. There is a woman I know that worked for the same company I did who had a very good salary - over 90K. She lost here job and started looking for a new job but after a couple months, there was not job that replaced her old income. She has been riding this out to the max because while it is still less than here old income, new jobs would be less than unemployment with the extra $300 per week. She is part of the discouraged worked that is counted in the real unemployment numbers. And she will stay there since she was schedule to retire in a year or so.

Discouraged workers are people who have given up looking for work but would take a job if offered at the right wage.

HowieT2

it does not have to be overly generous it could even be equal. There is a woman I know that worked for the same company I did who had a very good salary - over 90K. She lost here job and started looking for a new job but after a couple months, there was not job that replaced her old income. She has been riding this out to the max because while it is still less than here old income, new jobs would be less than unemployment with the extra $300 per week. She is part of the discouraged worked that is counted in the real unemployment numbers. And she will stay there since she was schedule to retire in a year or so.

Discouraged workers are people who have given up looking for work but would take a job if offered at the right wage.
the woman isnt really looking to work again, she is just collecting unemployment benefits while eligible and the additional $300 is immaterial to her calculus.

dblskifanatic

the woman isnt really looking to work again, she is just collecting unemployment benefits while eligible and the additional $300 is immaterial to her calculus.

and extra $300 definitely helps - she qualifies for max unemployment in CO and then the extra $300 per week on top of that? If that would not have been the case she told me that she would have had to find another job. 300 per week is like $15000+ per year and there are no weeks without pay while collecting it.

ducky

AirBnb owners are frequently offering $35-$40/hr to clean their places for the next weekend renter. Restaurant owners are offering $20-$25 and getting nobody. AirBnb has slowly taken the long-term rental housing stock off the market. Why wait tables or work a lift when you can clean rich peoples' second homes for $35-$40/hr? I'm considering doing it myself.

ducky

when do the bike trails close? 11/1?
Hunting season. Youth Weekend is Oct 23-24. Muzzle Antlerless (doe) is Oct 28-31, Rifle Nov 13-28. Main muzzle Dec 4-12. Bike trails are closed during hunting season. (there is also no house cleaning during this time)

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Has anyone heard if sugarbush will do quad packs or $30 thursdays at Mt Ellen again this year? I havent heard/seen anything but I figure some here may be "in the know".

In the past we would ski either wednesday or friday with the quad pass, and thurday at Mt Ellen 2-3 times per year.

Sadly, I think they are a thing of the past and if so, my days at Sugarbush will be severly limited if not gone....I cant swing last year's day pass prices for a famlty of four for 1 day + a night at a hotel on top of my other winter commitiments.

Thanks all, wont be too long now.

HowieT2

Hunting season. Youth Weekend is Oct 23-24. Muzzle Antlerless (doe) is Oct 28-31, Rifle Nov 13-28. Main muzzle Dec 4-12. Bike trails are closed during hunting season. (there is also no house cleaning during this time)

Thanks ducky

ducky

I see many NFL stadiums (inc last night's Raiders/Ravens game in LV) and the US Open Tennis tournament require proof of vaccination to enter. Wonder if SB and MRG will do this. There was talk of Stowe leaning that direction too. If not, I would expect restrictions to be like last year with masks, limited lift capacity, etc.

mikec142

I see many NFL stadiums (inc last night's Raiders/Ravens game in LV) and the US Open Tennis tournament require proof of vaccination to enter. Wonder if SB and MRG will do this. There was talk of Stowe leaning that direction too. If not, I would expect restrictions to be like last year with masks, limited lift capacity, etc.
I hope they require proof of vax although I don't know how easy it would be to police that. If there are lift capacity limits like last year, but no strict quarantine limits to visit VT, it could be a mess. Last years lift lines at SB were a pleasant surprise.

HowieT2

I don't think we're going to see requirements for outside. Inside masking.

slatham

I hope they require proof of vax although I don't know how easy it would be to police that. If there are lift capacity limits like last year, but no strict quarantine limits to visit VT, it could be a mess. Last years lift lines at SB were a pleasant surprise.
On vaccination policing, first stop would be IKON passes, but they probably can't limit access to only vaccinated pass holders without offering a refund to the unvaccinated. But easy to require pass holders to load CDC card just like they do for picture. Then for any online sales, require the same loading of proof of vaccination before sale goes through. For the few walks ups (they still do that?) you would have to show the card.

Of course there is always the fake card, but that is fraud and that is hard to police.