• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

If Super Bravo is running, I don't really see a reason why a lot of people would intentionally take the VH chair to RT to access the terrain on the Super Bravo side. It just doesn't seem efficient... I'm sure a few people will, but I can't see it being a significant number.

slatham

IMHO this improvement is to allow connection from VH to HG when Bravo is down. Maybe some other circumstances where they don’t want Bravo dumping tons of people onto Downspout when that is the only trail open from Bravo?

skiur

You're right, Carpy's corner. And this crossover is higher up. Still not a fan of cross traffic. I stopped going to Killington 15 years ago for a number of reasons, that being one of them.

I hope you're all correct that this won't get used much.
K had been removing cross traffic for a few years now.

djd66

If Super Bravo is running, I don't really see a reason why a lot of people would intentionally take the VH chair to RT to access the terrain on the Super Bravo side. It just doesn't seem efficient... I'm sure a few people will, but I can't see it being a significant number.
Completely agree. Most people coming up VH don’t even know RT exists as all they see is the Steins head wall and turn around.

cdskier

Can someone seend a fresh link to this map. I can not open it.

The new design of the ACT 250 database website makes it difficult to link directly to a document for a particular project. When you open a document, it loads it to a temp folder for some reason and after some period of time that temp folder gets deleted (and the link points to that temp file location).

So here's the link to the project entry:

From there you can just click on the document you want to see (in this case the ones with the proposed maps are 007_ProposedOverallSite and EPSCPlans_SugarbushReverseTraversRealignment(4 Sheets)_2022-06-24.pdf and 005_OverallSitePlan_SugarbushReverseTraverseRealignment_6-2022.pdf).

Hawk

The mountain ops people that I spoke to said this was insurance to move people around when Bravo goes down. Also another option for beginner/Intermedeate types instead of just gong down snow ball. They can now do middle murphys, birdland, jester, organgrinder or combos of each. Not a huge fan of this but for selfish reasons. When bravo went down, for the people that didn't mind the uphill section, it took a while for people to get accoss to HG or Castlerock which meant good uncrowded skiing.

cdskier

The mountain ops people that I spoke to said this was insurance to move people around when Bravo goes down. Also another option for beginner/Intermedeate types instead of just gong down snow ball. They can now do middle murphys, birdland, jester, organgrinder or combos of each. Not a huge fan of this but for selfish reasons. When bravo went down, for the people that didn't mind the uphill section, it took a while for people to get accoss to HG or Castlerock which meant good uncrowded skiing.

Hah...yea...I have those same selfish reasons for not necessarily seeing a need for the RT part of this change (I'm fine with adding snow-making to HG Traverse though to provide a more reliable alternative to DS).

Mak

Makes sense. Working (as an Ambassador) put me at the the top of VH when Bravo went down, basically to prevent the pileups at the top because folks were going back and forth in front of the unloading area like crazy to get to RT. I was constantly asked about ways to get over the HG.

slatham

Makes sense. Working (as an Ambassador) put me at the the top of VH when Bravo went down, basically to prevent the pileups at the top because folks were going back and forth in front of the unloading area like crazy to get to RT. I was constantly asked about ways to get over the HG.

When HGT is open they should have a sign atop VH with a big arrow and saying "Heavens Gate Lift" and "Easiest way down". Well as long as HGT to Jester is easier than Snowball, which I think it will be.

Mak

When HGT is open they should have a sign atop VH with a big arrow and saying "Heavens Gate Lift" and "Easiest way down". Well as long as HGT to Jester is easier than Snowball, which I think it will be.
Not for nothin, but lots of people don't read the signs no matter how BIG you make them....;-)

Last edited:

cdskier

FWIW, the ACT 250 permit for the new RT/HGT alignment is expected to be issued unless someone files a comment raising a noteworthy issue by October 11th. Based on how late the permit is being issued, I have doubts over whether they're even going to still do that for this season with how little time would be left. As of the last letter from Sugarbush to the ACT 250 District Commission in early September, they were asking for the approval ASAP so they can still potentially do it this year. But not sure if mid-October for issuance of the permit meets SB's definition of "ASAP" from a couple weeks ago. GMNF has already given their approval.

WinS

It is still possible. I haven’t checked with anyone at the Mountain recently, but I think it could still happen. The snowmaking pipe other than crossing Domino will be above ground and the route uses a lot of existing trail network. Challenging but still possible IMHO.

WinS

One option is to possibly complete part of the work. For instance add snowmaking across Heaven’s Gate Traverse up to Murphy’s and complete the rest next summer. Having an alternative to Downspout would be a big plus.