• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

It will be GH area and SB->Fling. Jester->DS takes way too long to run to have it open on Friday and they are pretty much starting from scratch up there.

Los

i talked to a guy there today, had a question on another subject and the opening came up. The plan is to get the gate house area open and some combo of jester/organ grinder/spring fling/snowball open for the opening. Didn't talk about ME so I cant comment on that, but thats what i was told today.

Guy also said they are expecting a storm that could bring them a foot of snow this week. let hope that works out.
So 6 inches at the most... Not that 6 inches isn’t great, but actual snowfall seems to almost always fall far short of predictions (very generally speaking)… I immediately halve the estimate so I keep my expectations in check. I can’t cope with disappointment!

Blurski

Web Site Opening day has arrived, click here, click nothing, anyone have any luck seeing what they are stating as opening day assuming this Friday.

Hawk

Opening with Gate House.
"The wait is finally over and we are ready for Opening Day. With this recent flurry of cold temperatures, we’re officially ready to open this Saturday, November 19th. We’ll be spinning the Gate House Quad from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, with at least 3 trails including Pushover, Slowpoke and Sugarbear Road."

That's a first.

Xcreamus

I will miss my first opening day in over 10 years. Love to see Gatehouse open, but for the first day??

cdskier

Opening with Gate House.
"The wait is finally over and we are ready for Opening Day. With this recent flurry of cold temperatures, we’re officially ready to open this Saturday, November 19th. We’ll be spinning the Gate House Quad from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, with at least 3 trails including Pushover, Slowpoke and Sugarbear Road."

That's a first.

That's a first...and a joke honestly. Glad I didn't make any plans to go up for opening day. If that really ends up being what they have open and they don't get anything else ready by then, I can see a lot of people not being too happy. Maybe they're banking on the "under-promise, over-deliver" strategy.

tumbler

Looks like they shut down, temps don't look so good. Hopefully precip can stay all snow and fire back up late tonight.

I think they will have SB->Fling by Sunday looking at temps.

1dog

That's a first...and a joke honestly. Glad I didn't make any plans to go up for opening day. If that really ends up being what they have open and they don't get anything else ready by then, I can see a lot of people not being too happy.
Yep, understand they want to get some beginner terrain open but that's not the demographic of the opening day crowd or even pre-Thanksgivng Day - who am I kidding - its not even pre-Christmas demo.

My kid won't be interested - we'll end up at K-Mart.

Open it -fine, but not in exchange for DS/HG or at least Spring and Snowball/VH lift.

Best we can do is hope for cold and more snow.
bright side - bet the numbers are down.

cdskier

On the plus side, it looks like about 5" of snow on the Allyn's Lodge snow stake so far...

hovercraft

That's a first...and a joke honestly. Glad I didn't make any plans to go up for opening day. If that really ends up being what they have open and they don't get anything else ready by then, I can see a lot of people not being too happy. Maybe they're banking on the "under-promise, over-deliver" strategy.
Very strange opening shot…..

djd66

It is definitely very strange to open with Pushover. I am guessing maybe they wanted to fire up the new equipment to iron out any kinks in the system before they get to the meat of the season? Still very strange for these trails to be the first to open - given the demographic of people that ski early season.

teleo

I love sugarbear rd. Gets me to bravo from the village when I'm lazy in the morning.

Still hoping for sb fling for at least sun. This warm up might make sat to tight to announce. But the natural should put a bit of base down.

Los

I love sugarbear rd. Gets me to bravo from the village when I'm lazy in the morning.

Still hoping for sb fling for at least sun. This warm up might make sat to tight to announce. But the natural should put a bit of base down.
Oh ok - just looked at the map - I was confusing sugarbush rd with sugarbush forest. It’s sugarbush forest that shouldn’t even be named. My bad. What can I say? I rarely ski gatehouse and I don’t own a condo in the village!