• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

ducky

Is this the same Roberta that used to own Paradise? I liked it better then when they actually turned the grill on and made food.
She is Roberta Elliott (Paradise Deli), so unless she changed her name, not the same. She lives in East Warren.

cdskier

That's what I thought but wasn't sure if she moved and changed her name.

Doubting it...the Roberta that owns the property on the corner of the access rd/golf course road has an address in NJ.

Tin Woodsman

It is actually 3 four-bedroom houses, but 2 have been combined into one. Obviously you've never been on the Access Road or Golf Course road on a weekend when traffic to the mountain is backed up to German Flats road. Not opposed to the new building on Rositas old property at all.
Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

ducky

If you own property on the Access Rd or SB Village area it is pretty hard to complain about development and density. We used to own on Upper Village Dr but sold and moved to the Valley when we moved here full time. As a former weekender it was ideal, but full time, no way.

In other news, skiing has been good. Yesterday was a shitshow, at least in the parking lot, but the 3" was a nice covering. Hopped over to Mt E on the Slide Brook but North did not get the same snow and was quite noisy. Saw my bud coming out of Slide Brook on the bus ride back. Words of warning but he found a way.

I skied MRG today and was pretty good but you need yellow wax or you'll be sticking. Warm and sunny. New snow is needed.

Kingslug20

CR was great..
Once you got past the top third.
Although I guy came screaming past...straight through the ice moguls..never seen someone go that fast through there before...
Being a mere slug I was a bit slower...
Cotillion wad super soft though...best run of the day.

elfnif1016

CR was great..
Once you got past the top third.
Although I guy came screaming past...straight through the ice moguls..never seen someone go that fast through there before...
Being a mere slug I was a bit slower...
Cotillion wad super soft though...best run of the day.
Cotillion is one of the nicer runs up there once you come down Castlerock for the first half of your run.

Kingslug20

I has about a 5 minute chance to buy the sugar cube...might have made a few bucks without doing anything..but selling it...

Tin Woodsman

looks to me like the homeowner held out for more money and SB wouldnt pay and chose to build around her.

Could be. I have no idea. But I know anyone opposing this but not the far larger project down the street is not showing all of their cards, b/c there's no intellectual consistency to those positions. We should all be for the aggressive construction of housing close the the base of the mountain to help make SB more attractive as an employer, to reduce pressure on housing costs in the MRV and to reduce the distance required in automobile trips (and therefore reducing traffic, emissions etc.) from one's residence to the mountain, be you an employee or tourist.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

The mad river valley is charming as fuck and I don’t want it to become the killington access road but the sugarbush access road is underutilized imo. I’m all for more hotels, restaurants, shops, and homes immediately adjacent to sugarbush

cdskier

The mad river valley is charming as fuck and I don’t want it to become the killington access road but the sugarbush access road is underutilized imo. I’m all for more hotels, restaurants, shops, and homes immediately adjacent to sugarbush

I could do without actual hotels. I prefer the MRV maintain more of a quaint lower-key vibe with just lodges, etc. Shops and restaurants are tough on the access road. In the winter you may have enough people to justify it, but the rest of the year it is very hard to survive unless you're actually in the valley. We have enough problems as is with restaurants in the valley disappearing right and left...never mind trying to OPEN some on the access road.

On the K Access Road topic...I hadn't been there in over 10 years up until 2 years ago. I had completely forgotten how much I hated the vibe on the K Access Road until that point. It doesn't even feel like you're in VT anymore. I felt more like I was back in NJ driving up that road.

Tin Woodsman

I could do without actual hotels. I prefer the MRV maintain more of a quaint lower-key vibe with just lodges, etc. Shops and restaurants are tough on the access road. In the winter you may have enough people to justify it, but the rest of the year it is very hard to survive unless you're actually in the valley. We have enough problems as is with restaurants in the valley disappearing right and left...never mind trying to OPEN some on the access road.

On the K Access Road topic...I hadn't been there in over 10 years up until 2 years ago. I had completely forgotten how much I hated the vibe on the K Access Road until that point. It doesn't even feel like you're in VT anymore. I felt more like I was back in NJ driving up that road.
We should want hotels. Without hotels, that pushes tourist stays into Airbnb's, which crowds out long-term renters - residents and employees with a stake in the community - and ultimately impacts cost of living.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time folks. We can have hotels, and housing development, but not have the Access Rd or any other part of the MRV look like Killington. No one is advocating for a free-for-all and I would trust the elected officials in the Valley to get the balance generally right - there is no lobby for re-creating Killington in the MRV..

KustyTheKlown

im with that. and hotels dont need to be marriots with 120 rooms. the more 20 room independent hotels the better. hopefully with charming onsite bar/restaurants that are open on weekends.

NYDB

unless you guys are talking about repurposing existing buildings, construction costs are too high to build hotels that aren't 1k per night with a 2 night min type places.

the numbers don't work. and then staffing it. fuggedaboutit.

Tin Woodsman

unless you guys are talking about repurposing existing buildings, construction costs are too high to build hotels that aren't 1k per night with a 2 night min type places.

the numbers don't work. and then staffing it. fuggedaboutit.

All good points for sure, but we should still want more hotel capacity in general if the numbers can pencil out.

cdskier

We should want hotels. Without hotels, that pushes tourist stays into Airbnb's, which crowds out long-term renters - residents and employees with a stake in the community - and ultimately impacts cost of living.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time folks. We can have hotels, and housing development, but not have the Access Rd or any other part of the MRV look like Killington. No one is advocating for a free-for-all and I would trust the elected officials in the Valley to get the balance generally right - there is no lobby for re-creating Killington in the MRV..

im with that. and hotels dont need to be marriots with 120 rooms. the more 20 room independent hotels the better. hopefully with charming onsite bar/restaurants that are open on weekends.

Maybe we have different definitions of "hotels" then but are actually saying the same thing. The Sugar Lodge is 22 rooms. That's the type of thing I'm fine with. I don't consider it a "hotel" though.

cdskier

yea yea, places like warren lodge, mad river barn. inns i guess?

I said I prefer "lodges, etc" in my original post. So yea....lodges/inns are fine with me. I guess that's the terms I equate with "smaller, independent accommodations with hotel-like rooms".

tumbler

Rough patch for lift maintenance, GMX still down and now CR down. At least work around from GMX and can hike CR but... As someone stated earlier an update from Mtn Ops would be nice.