• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

urungus

A couple of Sugarbush reviews on Trip Advisor … apparently the jerries don’t like moguls

I wanted to love it but...​

Review of Sugarbush Resort
Reviewed January 9, 2018
I flew up to Burlington for a weekend at Sugarbush. I'm a Mountain Collective passholder and it's the only mountain on the east coast that's a part of that program. I really wanted to love this mountain, but it has for me what are two huge and fatal flaws - wildly inconsistent trail ratings and "no easy way down" lifts. I started out with some runs served by the Gate House Express and North Lynx lifts. Blues (Birch Run) were easy for me, black diamonds (Sunrise, Sleeper Chutes, Water Fall) were slightly challenging but fun. I'm ready to expand the mountain so I take the Castlerock Connection, which is a godawful trail. It's way, way, way too flat at the top, which is a theme at Sugarbush. Lots of flats to get from one place to the other. That takes me to the Castlerock Double, which is all diamond or double diamond runs, but I figure hey, the others were good. Not so. I made the disastrous mistake of going down Middle Earth, which to me appeared to be at a 45 degree incline with moguls taller than me. I hate mogul skiing. I'm a downhill guy. It was a complete drag falling down the run and praying to make it without injury. Now, I'm sure Sugarbush's response would be: hey, there's a (small) sign that says "all runs have moguls, no easy way down". Two points on that. One: I didn't even see the sign. Two: that doesn't excuse the utterly ridiculous inconsistency in trail ratings. I understand they're going to vary from mountain to mountain, but at one resort, they should be roughly in the same ballpark, difficulty-wise. Sugarbush? I think a quote from Pulp Fiction best summarizes the situation:

"Ain't the same f--kin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same f--in' sport."

They need to seriously revise their trail rating system. I don't know if it's adding an advanced intermediate designation, moving trails from diamond to double diamond, but I know I won't ski there again unless they do something about it. And beyond that - lifts that have "no easy way down" are just poor design. Perfectly designed resorts (looking at you, Whistler) have runs for all abilities off every lift because guess what? That's what people enjoy. They don't want to constantly be pulling a map out to try and figure out where they'll be safe & have fun. They want to ski. They want to hop on a lift and have a good time.

And the final insult: the "semi-easy way down" trail I eventually took was called Troll Road. I felt like I was the one being trolled by this nonsense trail. It was super-flat and no fun at all. I basically felt like the resort designer was giving me a big middle finger because I wasn't man enough to make it down the difficult runs.

Sugarbush could be a really great mountain. They need to address what's noted above. And a final note: better signage for the Castlerock Pub. I had to walk around the outside of the building to find it, and I'm not the only one. People near me were commenting about how they would have eaten here if they had known about it. They need a sign at the stairs with a giant down arrow and a sign that says "beer this way".

Date of experience: January 2018

WORST SKI RESORT IN THE USA. NOTHING IS GROOMED, HUGE MOGULS EVERY INCH OF THE MOUNTAIN
Mar 2023
WORST SKI RESORT IN THE UNITED STATES, and they don't answer their phone number for lodging. DO NOT GO HERE!!!! BROKEN AND OUTDATED LIFTS, NOT GROOMED AT ALL, 100% MOGULS, not kid-friendly. Do NOT believe any review more than ONE green circle.

I've been skiing for 45 years, been to 40 resorts at least- California, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Germany, Austria. First time skiing in Vermont. Had a great day at Killington 45 miles away. Then went to Sugarbush. First of all, this tiny town has very limited lodging. We called their main lodging phone number at 6 p.m. and no one answered for the rest of the night (recorded messages- CLOSED). Really? -you close your phone lines for lodging and your resort at 6 p.m. or earlier, and have no one to answer the phone? No lodging in Montpelier either. We ended up staying the night in Burlington, Vt. which was 1 hour and 15 minutes away. We drove here the next morning. 2nd- we got a bad parking spot, and there is no tram, shuttle bus to bring you up to the ski resort entrance like some other resorts do. 3rd- Rude employees! 4th- Been skiing 45 years, and been to 40 ski resorts, and this is the first resort I ever been to that they do NOT groom any run at all. As a result, 100% of the runs have huge moguls, ice, sloppy snow, and at the bottom of the runs... huge ruts, and ripples. We saw many, many kids crying because of the moguls, and adults were NOT HAVING FUN AT ALL slowly weaving in-and-out of the non-stop moguls. We saw a big grooming fleet off to the side just sitting there, and obviously they do NOT have employees to run them and groom nightly like every resort does, or they are cheap and lazy. 5th- there is a very long connecting lift called "Slide Brook Express Quad" that connects the left side of the resort (Lincoln Peak Village) with the right side of the resort (Mt. Ellen Base). It was Saturday when we were there, and it was extremely crowded, and we heard that this lift supposedly never runs because it's broken. Seriously? The lifts at this resort were mostly old, and slow. Just a few Express lifts and the employees do NOT know how to run lift lines! 6th- been skiing 45 years, so I know the difference between a "blue square intermediate" run and a "black diamond expert" run. Several of the blue square runs were mis-labeled (on purpose probably to attract families with kids, or learners). I know the difference, and these should be black diamond expert runs (again- huge moguls).

Why on earth would you come to this horrible ski resort, when Killington is only 45 miles away and has nothing but groomed runs, a huge terrain park, express lifts, and helpful and nice employees. DO NOT GO TO SUGARBUSH!

Written March 14, 2023

cdskier

Those reviews are both absolutely hilarious. And both those people need to stay far away from Sugarbush which is just fine with me.

That 1st review...there's nothing at all wrong with Sugarbush's trail ratings. I don't know how someone honestly misses the signs leading to Castlerock warning about all the trails being natural, ungroomed, rocky, for experts only, etc. They're not at all what I would consider "small". There's also literally a sign right by the lift warning this before you get on it if you missed the ones at the entrances to the CR area. I also don't think Troll Road is that flat. That trail is kind of fun once in a while to change things up. Also do people not look at fucking maps or trail reports before exploring a resort? Sunrise, Sleeper Chutes, and Waterfall are all extremely short. So even if difficult, just looking at a map you'd know to expect much longer runs on CR that if challenging, means you're going to be in for a challenge for quite some time.

That 2nd review...LOL. There's virtually no chance the resort was 100% ungroomed unless we had some really weird weather event that prevented grooming that particular day. I looked back at the daily snow reports and a minimum of 42 trails were groomed every single day in March leading up to the date that review was posted. So no idea when this person could have experienced a 100% ungroomed sugarbush. Also no idea what they are talking about with no shuttle. If they were there on a weekend, there was a shuttle running through the parking lots. If they were there midweek, then they couldn't have been parked that far away. If this review was really based on an experience in March 2023, I also don't understand the comment about Slide Brook. That lift ran this winter and I don't recall any major issues once there was enough snow cover to open it.

cdskier

LOL....this is even better. I just looked at "Carl M's" review history on Trip Advisor. Every review he posted is negative and talks about "xyz being the worst". Also here's the photo corresponding to his review about Sugarbush. Looks like he was there on a powder day. I bet a ton was groomed but due to the powder simply bumped up quickly. What an idiot!

1690993544667.png

thetrailboss

Staff member
LOL....this is even better. I just looked at "Carl M's" review history on Trip Advisor. Every review he posted is negative and talks about "xyz being the worst". Also here's the photo corresponding to his review about Sugarbush. Looks like he was there on a powder day. I bet a ton was groomed but due to the powder simply bumped up quickly. What an idiot!

View attachment 58772
Yeah, they did not groom that fresh powder. Oh the horror!

Hawk

That's the thing now. We get so many new IKON people showing up that have no idea what Sugarbush is all about. I mean if you ski mountains that concetrate on blowing snow and grooming all trails, all the time, well then you are going to be a disapontied at sugarbush. It is definately more of an intermedeate expert mountain.

cdskier

I bet this was the first weekend in March. That weekend was a fucking blast! 22" storm total at the summit by Sunday morning. Pretty sure HG was closed most of Saturday due to wind. Paradise on Sunday was excellent that weekend. Lines were long...but you needed the time to rest anyway with all the powder. And that's completely to be expected when you have a large powder storm on a weekend from a Nor'Easter where you end up with wind hold issues.

cdskier

That's the thing now. We get so many new IKON people showing up that have no idea what Sugarbush is all about. I mean if you ski mountains that concetrate on blowing snow and grooming all trails, all the time, well then you are going to be a disapontied at sugarbush. It is definately more of an intermedeate expert mountain.

I'm just glad there's no signs at all of Sugarbush caving to these people and changing things up to cater to them. SB does not need to be like other resorts. The way they do things with grooming (or lack of it on many trails) is a big part of what makes it so great and sets it apart.

Hawk

You will get no arguments about the grooming part. There are trails that don't need to be groomed. A little more snowmaking on some snomaking trails during the snow doldums migh be nice. ;-) But by and large Sugarbush does it's best and it usually works out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was thinking that was Sunrise...but either way the point is still valid lol
Yeah, it looks like Sunrise as it is skier's left of the top of Gatehouse HSQ in that photo. And IIRC, unless something has drastically changed, Sunrise was always allowed to bump up. So the original poster's complaint is not really valid.

cdskier

Yeah, it looks like Sunrise as it is skier's left of the top of Gatehouse HSQ in that photo. And IIRC, unless something has drastically changed, Sunrise was always allowed to bump up. So the original poster's complaint is not really valid.

Yup...Sunrise is still allowed to bump up with an occasional groom here and there. So this guy with 45 years of experience is complaining about moguls on a diamond on a powder day. Crazy!

I'm sure within an hour of North Lynx opening that even Birch was bumped up with the powder we had that day/weekend as that's what happens with a foot plus of powder. But bumps on a powder day anywhere is a ridiculous complaint. Unbelievable!

doublediamond

Perhaps that second reviewer was there for the 31” powder day? I was up there for that and the next 2 days. Timing seems about right.

cdskier

Perhaps that second reviewer was there for the 31” powder day? I was up there for that and the next 2 days. Timing seems about right.

Didn't the 31" storm come mid-week? I think it was literally the day after the review was posted that storm happened. I'm 99% certain the review is referring to the March 4th/5th weekend as the reviewer specifically mentioned a Saturday. Storm total of about 22" at the summit and 16" at the base from that one.

I just re-read the review again and love this:
6th- been skiing 45 years, so I know the difference between a "blue square intermediate" run and a "black diamond expert" run. Several of the blue square runs were mis-labeled (on purpose probably to attract families with kids, or learners). I know the difference, and these should be black diamond expert runs (again- huge moguls).
I really can't think of any blues at Sugarbush that are mislabeled. Maybe you could argue that Moonshine could be a lower end black when it is bumped up, but that's about it. And even that is stretching it... This guy just digs himself deeper and deeper with showing his ignorance about skiing even though he claims to be so experienced. He also goes on to say how Killington has "nothing but groomed runs" which is 100% false as well. I've skied plenty of bumps over there and can think of a number of trails that have never once seen a groomer there.

I so wish Trip advisor let other reviewers reply to reviews...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Didn't the 31" storm come mid-week? I think it was literally the day after the review was posted that storm happened. I'm 99% certain the review is referring to the March 4th/5th weekend as the reviewer specifically mentioned a Saturday. Storm total of about 22" at the summit and 16" at the base from that one.

I just re-read the review again and love this:

I really can't think of any blues at Sugarbush that are mislabeled. Maybe you could argue that Moonshine could be a lower end black when it is bumped up, but that's about it. And even that is stretching it... This guy just digs himself deeper and deeper with showing his ignorance about skiing even though he claims to be so experienced. He also goes on to say how Killington has "nothing but groomed runs" which is 100% false as well. I've skied plenty of bumps over there and can think of a number of trails that have never once seen a groomer there.

I so wish Trip advisor let other reviewers reply to reviews...
Yeah, but he’s been skiing for 45 years, so that makes him a pro apparently…

cdskier

Yeah, but he’s been skiing for 45 years, so that makes him a pro apparently…

This review actually gets funnier every time I read it. It just clicked that he also complained about not being able to find lodging at 6PM on presumably the Friday of a powder weekend... Last minute lodging at a ski resort on a major powder weekend... Some "pro" this guy is. With 45 years of experience, you'd think he'd know that finding last minute lodging on a normal weekend is not always easy...never-mind on a powder weekend.

cdskier

This is another gem!

1691035932922.png
I have no idea what this person thinks changed between 2020 and this year in terms of moguls/grooming. Steins is about the only trail that was kept bumped up/whaled up longer than either of the previous 2 years. But if this person thinks Birch should be black, then I'm sure they weren't skiing Steins anyway...

jimmywilson69

These reviews seem like the perfect marketing for Sugarbush's core demographic :ROFLMAO:

What would these think of trails being "sugarhush open" meaning frozen solid moguls or barely any snow. :ROFLMAO:

Newpylong

When I was at the Whale some European kid left us a scathing Google review something along the lines of, "worst snowboard resort ever" and went into detail about if we can't cover and groom every trail we shouldn't we open. I looked at my $500K budget and chuckled. Some people...