• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Super Bowl From An Unbiased Pats Fan's POV

JimG.

Staff member
Hey, you Pats fans who want to call what Eli did on that last drive lucky...

don't get Wade Phillips syndrome now...bragging about how the losing team was better and all that.

Remember the last game of the regular season...Eli matched Brady pass for pass.

Giants came together as a team at the exact right moment.

And what Eli did was besides the point...the game was decided by the Giants defense.

Go ahead and tell us that Brady getting up off his ass after every play was just lucky.

wa-loaf

don't get Wade Phillips syndrome now...bragging about how the losing team was better and all that.

And what Eli did was besides the point...the game was decided by the Giants defense.

Go ahead and tell us that Brady getting up off his ass after every play was just lucky.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Giants Defense didn't win the game. Should Eli have gotten MVP? That's another question. It was a great game and certainly kept me on the edge of my seat all night. I'm disappointed my team lost and I'm not going to make any excuses, but the credit should go to D for winning that game.

deadheadskier

Staff member

As the biggest Pats fan you'll ever find, couldn't agree more. Kudos to the G-Men, they deserved it. I spend a large part of my day in the car for my job and listen to a fair amount of Boston sports radio and you hear all of that crap constantly. They all need to STFU. The Giants won, not because of luck, but because they played better. period, end of story. time to move on. Hate Belichick all you want, but even he understands that. He knows the Giants played the better game.

Yes, the pin the ball to the helmet catch was somewhat miraculous, but IT HAPPENED. Sometimes things like that do in sports. The 'tuck rule' was a miracle for the Pats in 2001.

I congratulate the Giants and I look forward to next season. The Patriots will still be a great team next year. I believe Vegas currently has them as the favorites to win the Superbowl. Hopefully next year they play the game with a better attitude, don't break any rules and win it right in a respectable fashion.

....now how bout' them Celtics!!! even though they lost tonight :lol:

2knees

I called them lucky and i am as far from a pats fan as one can get. i have no vested interest in any of it. Hell, i wanted to see the pats lose. I didnt want brady matching Bradshaws record for superbowl wins. But stepping back and giving an unbiased opinion is all i was doing. Giants defense did play very well but they still lose the game if the pats cb's hold on to those picks. I know its hard to admit it, but luck played a huge part in that last drive. You dont think the catch by tyree was luck? Harrison pinned the ball on his helmet before tyree got his own hand on the ball. Samuel dropped an easy interception and i think it was sanders who had another ball hit his hand. sorry but thats luck.

Zand

I'd also have to call them lucky on the last drive. I'm not taking away from the fact that they played better than the Patriots, but that last drive certainly had a few things happen that won't normally happen.

One thing I don't understand about the Patriots was their overall conservative approach to the playoffs and especially last night. I do understand the first two games as they were at Gillette in January so a big passing game doesn't work all that well. But come on, they're in a dome and the Giants' pass coverage really isn't that great. Offensively, they should've put as much into the passing game as the December game betwen these two, if not more. I don't want to hear double coverage excuses, they were forcing passes to Moss all year. They were also underutilizing the passing game underneath to Welker quite a bit, instead going for a screen or passes to the sidelines. Those two aspects were what made them so great all year. There are so many what-ifs about this game on behalf of the Patriots, I just don't understand half of what they did Sunday night.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They honestly couldn't focus on the passing game though. Brady was on his ass half of his drop backs. The Giant front 7 completely blew the NE O Line out of the water and the reality is that the New England running backs SUCK at picking up the blitz.

The reason the passing game was so effective all year was because Brady had all day to throw the ball. That wasn't the case on Sunday. So, the Giants were smart, blitz like crazy and try their damnedest to cover Welker, the hot read. It worked.

What New England should've done is gone with the no huddle. The line was getting blown up by a well designed blitzing scheme. So, you go no huddle, spread 4 out and keep Maroney in the backfield. Doing so would give the Giants no time to organize those blitzes and more than likely they'd send only one extra guy which Maroney could pick up well enough. It would also limit their ability to organize double coverages on Moss or Welker. Most importantly, it would wear down the the Giants D-Line's burst.

To do this effectively you need a very smart QB, which Brady is. He has to call the shots. I bet you see a TON of no huddle from New England next year and if they secure as good of a receiving corp as they had this year, they maybe even more prolific.

jack97

The reason the passing game was so effective all year was because Brady had all day to throw the ball. That wasn't the case on Sunday. So, the Giants were smart, blitz like crazy and try their damnedest to cover Welker, the hot read. It worked.

I agree, that was the weakness and you have to give the g men credit for exploited that. Ever since the pats got Stallworth and Moss, their passing game has been more vertical and you don't see multiple hot reads. When they had receivers like branch, givens and Brown. Brady could have rely on either one of them to come over the middle depending on the type of blitz. The receiver corp they had for the last two years couldn't read the blitz. Still don't know if Stallworth and Moss are effective in doing that and whether they can adjust.

On the other side of the ball, man... they need young lbs. I don't like the fact that Belichick favors older LB with the experience. I say get some young legs in there and simplify the schemes.

JimG.

Staff member
I called them lucky and i am as far from a pats fan as one can get. i have no vested interest in any of it. Hell, i wanted to see the pats lose. I didnt want brady matching Bradshaws record for superbowl wins. But stepping back and giving an unbiased opinion is all i was doing. Giants defense did play very well but they still lose the game if the pats cb's hold on to those picks. I know its hard to admit it, but luck played a huge part in that last drive. You dont think the catch by tyree was luck? Harrison pinned the ball on his helmet before tyree got his own hand on the ball. Samuel dropped an easy interception and i think it was sanders who had another ball hit his hand. sorry but thats luck.

Well, I could just as well say the one pick the Pats did get was luck too...Manning's pass hit Smith on the hands and it bounced off. He should have caught that ball. So what happened with Tyree was just payback.

I don't think using the word luck is fair or gives the Giants (the whole team) the credit I also did not think they deserved. Remember, I gave up on them before the playoffs began and was happy after they beat the Cowboys. I never expected them to avenge 4 of their 6 losses in the last 3 games of the season. But that's what they did, so let's give them credit.

I think the Pats D was susceptible and the Giants took just enough advantage to win the game. But I'll concede to those who question Eli being MVP.

The entire Giant's defense was the MVP of that game.

2knees

Well, I could just as well say the one pick the Pats did get was luck too...Manning's pass hit Smith on the hands and it bounced off. He should have caught that ball. So what happened with Tyree was just payback.

I don't think using the word luck is fair or gives the Giants (the whole team) the credit I also did not think they deserved. Remember, I gave up on them before the playoffs began and was happy after they beat the Cowboys. I never expected them to avenge 4 of their 6 losses in the last 3 games of the season. But that's what they did, so let's give them credit.

I think the Pats D was susceptible and the Giants took just enough advantage to win the game. But I'll concede to those who question Eli being MVP.

The entire Giant's defense was the MVP of that game.

I didnt mean to sound like the giants should get no credit, far from it. they played a masteful defensive game. Just making some observations is all. Giants did what no team other then the ravens did all year, get to brady, but the giants did it for 60 minutes.

JimG.

Staff member
I didnt mean to sound like the giants should get no credit, far from it. they played a masteful defensive game. Just making some observations is all. Giants did what no team other then the ravens did all year, get to brady, but the giants did it for 60 minutes.

I was pleased but a little shocked by it. The D came together just time. I still find it a little hard to believe.

I felt Justin Tuck was the MVP...that is one big dude.

I mean Strahan and Uemenyora are quick but Tuck is one BIG dude. He gave the Pats O line alot of trouble.

Hawkshot99

The Giants never ran out of gas.

I thought it was real funny, how during the Pat's last scoring drive the announcers were saying how the D was wasted and too tired to play. Then on the Pat's final drive when they lost it, the announcers were saying how great the D's conditioning was and that they had never wavered.:smash:

Paul

Ahem... Ravens, AND
Eagle_smiley.jpg

kthxbye!

JimG.

Staff member
Yep, him and Ron Rivera of Da Bears worked under Jim Johnson.

He's done a great job in NY. The defense improved all year after looking pathetic the first 2 weeks.

Glad they managed to re-sign him.

Paul

He's done a great job in NY. The defense improved all year after looking pathetic the first 2 weeks.

Glad they managed to re-sign him.

He certainly has. Good on him being smart enough to not take the head scapegoa....er coaching position with the Potomac River Basin Native Americans.

JimG.

Staff member
He certainly has. Good on him being smart enough to not take the head scapegoa....er coaching position with the Potomac River Basin Native Americans.

I've always liked the Redskins. I mean, I'm a Giants fan, but I don't mind it when they're good.

Been some great Redskins/Giants games.

Is Art Monk a Hall of Famer?

I think so.

Paul

I've always liked the Redskins. I mean, I'm a Giants fan, but I don't mind it when they're good.

Been some great Redskins/Giants games.

Is Art Monk a Hall of Famer?

I think so.

I can't say I like them, I will say that I respected the foreskins, and the Giants as well. They are, after-all, division rivals.
I can't respect the Cowboys, nor the ethnic slurs any longer, as their respective ownerships are....well....not the type of folks I normally respect.

Art Monk is a HOFer. Although, it doesn't bother me that he wasn't a 1st balloter. Did you see Cris Carter pouting on Inside the NFL? There's another guy who's a shoo-in, yet he cries that he didn't get it on his first try.

Cris, I just lost a TON of respect for you as well...