• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thinking about getting a small camper to use during the ski season.

raisingarizona

there is a facebook group for ski the east car camping people.

they're generally super annoying, but they have some good intel on where you can spend a night.

some of their build-outs are cool, but some (most) of their build-outs look fucking miserable and I have no idea why someone would ever chose a dark, cold, tight, uncomfortable coffin on the bed of their pickup truck to spend a long cold night in the mountains. motels in rutland are $80.

but some of the built out vans and rvs where you can actually stand up mostly straight and prep some food and have a warm hang, those look pretty sweet.

I can get really drunk and stoned with 80 bucks guy.

BenedictGomez

Coincidentally I just learned today that virtually no RVs are rated for winter use due to the potable water & toilet lines not being insulated enough to not freeze during very cold temperatures. I had no idea about this, but IMO that likely explains why you dont see this at ski resorts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Coincidentally I just learned today that virtually no RVs are rated for winter use due to the potable water & toilet lines not being insulated enough to not freeze during very cold temperatures. I had no idea about this, but IMO that likely explains why you dont see this at ski resorts.
This.

Plus RV's are notorious for being poorly insulated.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
RVs and rent are both huge financial drains. RVs are like boats....lots of maintenance, expensive specialized parts, and rapid depreciation. I'm not trying to poo poo the idea- I Iove camping. But it's not a budget option especially with gas getting up over $3/gallon getting a motorhome or a truck that gets 20mpg unloaded on the highway.

And no, campers are not designed for winter. They're better than they were years ago. What always scared me was the fact these things have a single heat source. Your heater goes out and it's 5 degrees out on a cold Vermont night you're going to be in deep shit very very quickly.

JimG.

Staff member
Can't disagree that RV's have huge maintenance costs. Or that most are not built for winter use. They leak like sieves too.

But most expensive toys are like that including a second home. My concern is buying something and then my chosen ski area goes megapass. With an RV I can just move to another ski area.

There are expensive expedition vehicles that would suit my purposes. Those would eliminate any need for an RV site or hookups.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Can't disagree that RV's have huge maintenance costs. Or that most are not built for winter use. They leak like sieves too.

But most expensive toys are like that including a second home. My concern is buying something and then my chosen ski area goes megapass. With an RV I can just move to another ski area.

There are expensive expedition vehicles that would suit my purposes. Those would eliminate any need for an RV site or hookups.

All good stuff. Like I said, I don't dislike the idea.... Just pointing out it's not cheap and it's gonna be a lot of work to make it good for winter.

I had a friend who's father would rent a standard RV and park it slopeside at the Bear lot at Killington for a few days each season. I don't know how they never got in trouble from the mountain. They would cram 6-8 guys in this tiny motorhome. So I guess it certainly can be done even with a stock RV!

BenedictGomez

RVs and rent are both huge financial drains. RVs are like boats....lots of maintenance, expensive specialized parts, and rapid depreciation. I'm not trying to poo poo the idea- I Iove camping. But it's not a budget option especially with gas getting up over $3/gallon getting a motorhome or a truck that gets 20mpg unloaded on the highway.

I would 100% own one if I lived out west somewhere like CO, UT, ID, MT, etc... But I'd buy used, which literally saves many thousands, and I'd buy a camper rather than a driving model, as I like the idea of having a real vehicle once you arrive at your destination.

raisingarizona

If it’s just fir weekends and night or two at a pop a 4wd van with an extended roof top could be converted fairly easily for your basic needs and heat. It would be more stealth. If your set on cooking out of the van a regular camp stove does fine. Insulation, a heating system, bed and some storage units is about it really. I’d want a swivel front passenger seat as well.

JimG.

Staff member
If it’s just fir weekends and night or two at a pop a 4wd van with an extended roof top could be converted fairly easily for your basic needs and heat. It would be more stealth. If your set on cooking out of the van a regular camp stove does fine. Insulation, a heating system, bed and some storage units is about it really. I’d want a swivel front passenger seat as well.
I saw someone with a Sprinter conversion this past winter at Plattekill. Looked very nice.

JimG.

Staff member
All good stuff. Like I said, I don't dislike the idea.... Just pointing out it's not cheap and it's gonna be a lot of work to make it good for winter.

I had a friend who's father would rent a standard RV and park it slopeside at the Bear lot at Killington for a few days each season. I don't know how they never got in trouble from the mountain. They would cram 6-8 guys in this tiny motorhome. So I guess it certainly can be done even with a stock RV!
I've been looking at that expedition vehicle website. Yes the vehicles are very expensive. The "budget" bottom of the line vehicle is $360,000. But that vehicle (the Turtle) would suit all my needs and plenty of room for my wife. And it does not look difficult to drive either. So for the price of a second home I could do something like that.

I'd have to really think about that one. Not to mention convincing my wife.

BenedictGomez

The "budget" bottom of the line vehicle is $360,000. But that vehicle (the Turtle) would suit all my needs and plenty of room for my wife. And it does not look difficult to drive either. So for the price of a second home I could do something like that.

And if you're not paying cash, interest rates on RVs are about twice that of a home mortgage, probably more like 6%.

kingslug

Like I stated..The Grand Adventure on youtube..he lives full time in a motorhome and has a channel to tell you everything he does to do it...and skis 100 days a year.

asnowmobiler

I would not be using any water in the trailer during the winter. It would most likely only one or two days at a time, if longer I would have to find a place to shower at.

jimmywilson69

Yes, no more Sprinter Vans, please.
why? I mean if you want a nice 4 wheel drive recreational vehicle I can't honestly see why you wouldn't buy one. For a situation where its just me and my wife it makes perfect sense. doesn't make sense if you have a family.

thetrailboss

Staff member
why? I mean if you want a nice 4 wheel drive recreational vehicle I can't honestly see why you wouldn't buy one. For a situation where its just me and my wife it makes perfect sense. doesn't make sense if you have a family.
Because the people I see driving them are pretentious, self-absorbed, entitled assholes who can throw around $100k or more on a van to "spend time outdoors." There is a negative stereotype associated with these rigs. No offense intended personally.

Other than that, sure it is practical.

KustyTheKlown

one of these old 4x4 mitsubishi delicas is always parked in my neighborhood, with the steering wheel on the British side. i fucking love it.

1631551656263.png

2Planker

We were offered $10K for our Winnebago (36', sleeps 4-6) for the entire 20/21. 5 months - 11/15 thru 4/15.

I've been advised that $15K is more reasonable.....