• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thinking about getting a small camper to use during the ski season.

jimmywilson69

the same could be said about Jeeps I mean its just complaining and its sort of petty. there are literally much bigger issues to complain about..

thetrailboss

Staff member
So my family had campers growing up and from what I’ve seen lately I’ve got to agree. A lot of odd brands and some are better than others. Honestly I’m not very familiar with the construction quality of the current models but I would probably personally stick with the brands and manufacturers they have a long established reputation. Specifically, Jayco, maybe some of Thor’s brands, Winnebago, Wildwood, and the Airstreams.

jimmywilson69

I work along a major highway that leads from DC 3 summers ago a large RV was pulling a Jeep. Somehow a fire started and in 15 minutes there was nothing left but 4 wheels and frames of the Jeep and RV. Even the walls of the RV melted or burned!

Its all about being light weight I guess...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I work along a major highway that leads from DC 3 summers ago a large RV was pulling a Jeep. Somehow a fire started and in 15 minutes there was nothing left but 4 wheels and frames of the Jeep and RV. Even the walls of the RV melted or burned!

Its all about being light weight I guess...

Oh yeah.... this will be the best 15 minutes of your day and prove the bolded part to be true....

JimG.

Staff member
Because the people I see driving them are pretentious, self-absorbed, entitled assholes who can throw around $100k or more on a van to "spend time outdoors." There is a negative stereotype associated with these rigs. No offense intended personally.

Other than that, sure it is practical.
Don't be a hater. Assholes drive all kinds of vehicles.

JimG.

Staff member
This is the first I've ever heard of that stereotype...honestly never really gave much thought at all to the people that buy and use them, never-mind stereotyping them.
lol I think more along the lines of the couch on the front porch stereotype.

VTKilarney

The "budget" bottom of the line vehicle is $360,000. But that vehicle (the Turtle) would suit all my needs and plenty of room for my wife. And it does not look difficult to drive either. So for the price of a second home I could do something like that.

Now factor in depreciation.

JimG.

Staff member
Now factor in depreciation.
This is a toy for skiing. And I would pay cash for it as I do for cars or any other asset that is by nature a "poor investment".

I believe if you worked out future savings on ski lodging that 2 month long skiing trips per season would result in a fairly rapid payback.

BenedictGomez

I don't get it. To me it makes no economic sense to me to spend $80k on something that depreciates, gets bad gas mileage, and it you go to a legit campground, cost you almost as much as a hotel room.

Yeah, I dont get it, especially given for $35k - $45k you can buy a fully decked out 30 foot or so camper brand new, or used for less. Makes no sense to me.

raisingarizona

Yeah, I dont get it, especially given for $35k - $45k you can buy a fully decked out 30 foot or so camper brand new, or used for less. Makes no sense to me.
It’s an investment into life experiences.
It’s also a lot harder to get a 30 foot camper into the places you really want to be on public lands.

rent here is now around 1500 a month for a two bedroom apartment. We are surrounded by public lands with unlimited free camping. If I wasn’t a dad I could save a lot of money van lifing it. It would be really nice for my work too. I work 8 on 6 off and camp the whole time.