• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend (4/23-24)?

abc

My skiing is mostly limited by available time to travel to and from home to mountain (and to a lessor degree, cost). With the poor showing of winter in the northeast, I didn't have much motivation to drive north for spring skiing in northern VT.

But now with work relatively slow still, I could take off a bit early on Friday or return late Sunday... that gives me enough time to get all the way up to northern Vermont. Looks like Stowe is open, with even a pretty decent trail count. Or I can even take Monday off and drive all the way to Maine...

Wondering if it'll be worth it though. Especially with the forecast of significant rain on Thursday. Anyone who had skied the last few days, what's the condition like? Or cares to guess the condition be like after the rain?

Last edited:

Sons of Thunder

I remember my last day of the 14-15 season at Sugarbush. It was raining and the fog was so bad I could barely see more than 20 feet in front of me. Didn't help that it was my first time ever at that mountain! I had driven up the night before and had gotten in past 2AM and was there for first chair in a complete daze. Was it worth it? Hell yeah.

I've been watching the weather closely too, and while I can't speak for Stowe it seems like Jay Peak still has a decent number of trails open. There's more info from people who have gone recently too, in the form of videos/written reviews. Loaf did get some new snow so that should sway your decision a bit. Just go somewhere!

elks

The skiing at Wildcat this past Sunday was terrific. Limited trails, but what was open was a lot of fun. Things softened up very early so my recommendation is to start early if the weather calls for similar temperatures and sun.

machski

Sunday River was great through Monday but their big question is status of Barker Quad. If that won't be up, not sure if they will either. They did great getting Locke opened when it went down, but not much snow left at top of Locke triple.

skiMEbike

Coming off of 3 days at the Loaf on Friday, Saturday, Sunday this past weekend...Surprisingly conditions are still holding up really well, and no need for rock skis. They still have 11 "routes" down the mountain...AND...They received a legitimate 6 inches of new snow since. Skiing really well considering the winter we've had.

The only "bummer" is they announced that they are only running SQuad...That will limit the vertical a bit, and you will need to ski/ride the infamous SLoaf runout on every run.

machski

Especially with the forecast of significant rain on Thursday. Anyone who had skied the last few days, what's the condition like? Or cares to guess the condition be like after the rain?

Not sure what forecast you are looking at but any rain is not til Friday and not all that heavy, I'm only hearing .25 to .5 inches. That should not impact things too much honestly.

yeggous

I was at Wildcat last weekend. It was fantastic. They'll be open again this coming weekend.

abc

Not sure what forecast you are looking at but any rain is not til Friday and not all that heavy, I'm only hearing .25 to .5 inches. That should not impact things too much honestly.
Looks like the rain forecast change from Thursday to Friday.

Sounds good then.

ironhippy

I think I am heading to Mont Saint Anne outside of Quebec City.

They should have most of their north side open, and at least their main ways down the south side.

I was hoping Murdochville (Gaspe) was going to open for another weekend, but they aren't.

chuckstah

Sunday River was great through Monday but their big question is status of Barker Quad. If that won't be up, not sure if they will either. They did great getting Locke opened when it went down, but not much snow left at top of Locke triple.

I don't think being reactive to an issue is great. Great would have been being proactive and having Locke prepped and ready as a backup, in case the old and unreliable Barker lift went down, again. Seat pads would be expected I think as well? As for the skiing, that was great! Any word on Barker's status? May hit Wildcat if it's only Locke. I usually want to shoot myself by the time Locke gets me to the top. Several stops every ride last weekend.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I think I am heading to Mont Saint Anne outside of Quebec City.

They should have most of their north side open, and at least their main ways down the south side.

I was hoping Murdochville (Gaspe) was going to open for another weekend, but they aren't.

If you were willing to go as far as Murdochville, you might want to combo Mont Comi and Val d'Irène. Val d'Irène just announced that they were going to open Sunday only.

However if I didn't have to stay close to home, I would probably go to Ste-Anne.

I would expect Valinouet, Comi and Val d'Irène to be close to 100% open, however I would suspect that MSA to be the next down on % open.

If you haven't see the list of who and where opening on my blog, checkout the link.
http://wp.me/pP1GY-2WA

ironhippy

If you were willing to go as far as Murdochville, you might want to combo Mont Comi and Val d'Irène. Val d'Irène just announced that they were going to open Sunday only.

However if I didn't have to stay close to home, I would probably go to Ste-Anne.

I would expect Valinouet, Comi and Val d'Irène to be close to 100% open, however I would suspect that MSA to be the next down on % open.

If you haven't see the list of who and where opening on my blog, checkout the link.
http://wp.me/pP1GY-2WA

The drive to MSA and Amqui is about the same for me, since I would only get one day at Amqui, I decided for MSA instead.
If I was really motivated I could drive to Amqui Saturday night from Quebec City, but I don't think I'll be doing that.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
The drive to MSA and Amqui is about the same for me, since I would only get one day at Amqui, I decided for MSA instead.
If I was really motivated I could drive to Amqui Saturday night from Quebec City, but I don't think I'll be doing that.

That's why I mentioned Val d'Irene with Mont Comi (open Sat-Sun) which isn't too far from Amqui. Mont Comi are looking to make it to May.

ironhippy

That's why I mentioned Val d'Irene with Mont Comi (open Sat-Sun) which isn't too far from Amqui. Mont Comi are looking to make it to May.

that's a great point, I keep forgetting about Comi, however with rain forcasted on Satuday, I think it'll stick with QC.

However if Comi is open in May, I may be able to get another weekend before I switch over fully to mountain biking.

machski

I don't think being reactive to an issue is great. Great would have been being proactive and having Locke prepped and ready as a backup, in case the old and unreliable Barker lift went down, again. Seat pads would be expected I think as well? As for the skiing, that was great! Any word on Barker's status? May hit Wildcat if it's only Locke. I usually want to shoot myself by the time Locke gets me to the top. Several stops every ride last weekend.

I do agree, if any chance to reopen Locke exists (IE enough snow up there) don't prep it for summer until you close. As for Barker, they are advertising it will be running. That will be all though, White Heat kicked it Monday.

chuckstah

I do agree, if any chance to reopen Locke exists (IE enough snow up there) don't prep it for summer until you close. As for Barker, they are advertising it will be running. That will be all though, White Heat kicked it Monday.

Good to hear Barker will be running. It looks like everything will be mowed flat to start the weekend though. It won't be the same without Shockwave and WH in the mix.