• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thoughts on MLK Weekend

HD333

Historically MLK has obviously been a busy weekend.
With lack of snow and rain in the forecast for down south, what do people think about crowds this weekend?
Will mountains make up some lost revenue or will this weekend be a bust for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VTKilarney

My guess is that it will be somewhere in between. Some places have done a good job of making snow and getting trails open. This will finally generate some excitement. But there wasn't much snow around when people would normally make reservations.

dlague

I do not think they will make up for lost revenue primarily because I do not think there will be a dramatic increase over a normal season. That being said the best place to go this is skiing in NH is Loon!

drjeff

I don't think that lost revenue will be made up, but hopefully for the ski industry, this weekends turn out will meet historical norms, which will be a BIG weekend. The last thing the New England ski industry needs after the Christmas Week debacle that it was, is for MLK weekend to be significantly off of historical business levels :eek:

wtcobb

I do not think they will make up for lost revenue primarily because I do not think there will be a dramatic increase over a normal season. That being said the best place to go this is skiing in NH is Loon!

Agreed - getting a plus over normal for MLK to make up for losses over Christmas would be difficult. I imagine ski areas will be happy if they don't have a loss for the weekend again given the mixed forecasts.

HD333

I guess I worded it wrong. I don't think they will make up for the lost revenue, even if there is record breaking crowds. I was wondering if there would be a pent up desire to get out or if people have entirely given up due to the weather. Not the die hards but the casual ski family who may get away a few times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtcobb

I guess I worded it wrong. I don't think they will make up for the lost revenue, even if there is record breaking crowds. I was wondering if there would be a pent up desire to get out or if people have entirely given up due to the weather. Not the die hards but the casual ski family who may get away a few times a year.

One theory I heard from various folks in the ski industry up here: when there's a lack of snow/wintry conditions out your window, you're less likely to get the "itch" to ski. For all those who would travel up from MA, when there's no snow around skiing isn't really top of mind.

BenedictGomez

One theory I heard from various folks in the ski industry up here: when there's a lack of snow/wintry conditions out your window, you're less likely to get the "itch" to ski. For all those who would travel up from MA, when there's no snow around skiing isn't really top of mind.

Oh, that's not a theory, that's a fact that I've witnessed time and time and time again. There were times when our conditions at Stowe were A+ prime, but there was no snow in Boston, and the crowds were manageable. Then there were times when our conditions were average, but Boston got 5" or 6", and the place was a Zoo with a capital 'Z'. These situations I'm describing aren't the outlier, they're the norm. When I saw that it snowed in Boston / southern N.E., NYC, etc.... I knew we'd be busy.

dlague

I think the hot spots like Mount Snow, Okemo, Killington, Stratton, Stowe, Sugarbush in VT and Loon, Bretton Woods, Attitash in NH as well as Sunday River, Sugarloaf in ME will be pretty busy.

VTKilarney

I think the hot spots like Mount Snow, Okemo, Killington, Stratton, Stowe, Sugarbush in VT and Loon, Bretton Woods, Attitash in NH as well as Sunday River, Sugarloaf in ME will be pretty busy.
I agree, except that I doubt that they will be as busy as an average MLK weekend. But busy is still busy.

WWF-VT

You forgot to add Magic where there's still a chance for top to bottom skiing on one route from the top.

Edd

Oh, that's not a theory, that's a fact that I've witnessed time and time and time again.

I've spoken with industry professionals who consider this gospel, as well. You'd think this would be solvable by strong marketing; remind consumers that snowmaking exists and present dated visuals of a winter wonderland. I suppose it's a spending decision driven very much by emotion as opposed to facts.

Scruffy

I've spoken with industry professionals who consider this gospel, as well. You'd think this would be solvable by strong marketing; remind consumers that snowmaking exists and present dated visuals of a winter wonderland. I suppose it's a spending decision driven very much by emotion as opposed to facts.

Yup, emotional memories are strong in people and require cues both external and internal. Snow is a strong cue for a lot of people, whether they ski or not. Snow storms invoke all kinds of emotional memories, from Mom cooking long slow meals, to Dad stoking the fire, and kids playing in the snow. For those that like to play in the snow, it gets real strong when snow is actually falling around them, as opposed to them simply using logic and knowing that there is snow in the mountains. Some people need that strong emotional connection before they feel the urge to go ski. Others, like most that follow this forum, can generate the urge from the memories of skiing alone. It's enough to know there is snow ( man made or not ) in the mountains, even if it's not in your backyard.

drjeff

I agree, except that I doubt that they will be as busy as an average MLK weekend. But busy is still busy.

Just talked with one of my friends, who's one of the food and beverage higher ups at Mount Snow, while I was out with my kids at a Mount Snow owned restaurant for dinner. Based on their formulas for estimating crowds using things such as presale tickets, % lodging bookings, and ski school reservations, they're expecting about 9000 on the mountain Saturday and Sunday this weekend - that's roughly in line with the historical norm for this weekend! Good thing all 20 lifts will be spinning here this weekend! :)

chuckstah

There were lots of cars with ski racks heading North on 93 in NH a while ago as I was heading South. Way more than a normal weekend. It's gonna be a shit show! But no more so than any holiday weekend.

drjeff

There were lots of cars with ski racks heading North on 93 in NH a while ago as I was heading South. Way more than a normal weekend. It's gonna be a shit show! But no more so than any holiday weekend.

Was nice to see not just a bunch of full ski racks and roof boxes headed North on 91 this afternoon/evening, but also plenty of snowmobiles being pulled North as well! That industry has been ravaged even worse than the ski industry this far, and its also a BIG economic generator for so many small Northern New England towns!