• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Timid Teddy

JimG.

Staff member
We have been searching for a dog to adopt for a few months. We have been pretty set on getting a beagle. Then we saw Timid Teddy and fell in love.

Teddy.jpg

Yesterday we found out we have been chosen to be his new family. He is very shy and has not had an easy life so far but he warmed up to us when we met Tuesday. The rescue and his foster mom told us after we met there was no reason to interview other families. We are picking him up today. Probably means I will ski less the end of this season but totally worth it to get such a sweet and handsome boy!

ctenidae

Nice Pointer stack there- he will be able to spot every bird, squirrel, bug, and leaf visible from your boat.

JimG.

Staff member
Nice Pointer stack there- he will be able to spot every bird, squirrel, bug, and leaf visible from your boat.
Thanks C10. He's a beautiful dog the ticking in his coat is amazing.

His instinct to hunt is obvious. We're learning to walk on the leash but there are so many deer tracks on my property it's tough. He's concentrating on walking without pulling and also going to the bathroom. then he gets the scent of a deer and it's off to the races.

Last edited:

ctenidae

That beagle nose (and personality!) will get him into all kinds of mischief. I'm jealous- our Mastiff's favorite activity is to stand on the deck and let out a "woof" that rattles windows at the end of the street. She's a total sweety and awesome with kids, but 165 pounds is a lot of dog to get in an SUV to go anywhere.

JimG.

Staff member
So today it has been 4 weeks since we adopted Teddy. If you are a dog lover or a beagle owner you know that beagles are very stubborn and headstrong. He has been a handful!

Teddy came from North Carolina from a hunting dog breeder. He did not want to be a hunting dog and as a result he was treated very poorly. Teddy is about 2 years old and grew up locked in a box the size of a rabbit hutch. It had a screened floor so he could go to the bathroom while inside. He barely knew how to stand leave alone walk. He was kicked so hard in the side that it broke one of his ribs. I can feel the callous on the bone where it broke. He clearly trusted women more than men. He would not come near me when we got him home. He was so hand shy he would not take a treat from our hands. I did not know how I could ever train him.

We are now getting to the other side of his rescue. We have trained him to be fairly obedient on the leash which is a test for any beagle. He is house broken and goes to the bathroom outside now. Because we are building him an enclosure to romp in we go on long walks so he gets a lot of outdoor time. My wife and I have both lost a few pounds walking him. Instead of living in his crate he now roams the house checking things out. His fear is still there but it is totally diminished. He loves taking treats from our hands. He hangs out and chews on his bone. He gets us when he needs to go out. He gets along with our cat Milo who has been an angel allowing another animal into his home. Right now he is lying in front of me with his head on my foot. Proud to say Teddy is a keeper.

When he stands like this all stacked with his chest out and head up he is truly majestic. We are lucky to have such a fine animal.

Teddy1.jpg

dblskifanatic

Great marking on your dog! What you just posted sounds similar to our two dogs. Ours are rescue dogs from Turk & Caicos basically street dogs or wild dogs with hundreds of years of cross breeding. As, you kind of noted above it takes a lot of patience and persistence.

Glad it is working out for you! Congrats on the new dog as well

A dog thread should be in order for people to shar their pups!

JimG.

Staff member
Great marking on your dog! What you just posted sounds similar to our two dogs. Ours are rescue dogs from Turk & Caicos basically street dogs or wild dogs with hundreds of years of cross breeding. As, you kind of noted above it takes a lot of patience and persistence.

Glad it is working out for you! Congrats on the new dog as well

A dog thread should be in order for people to shar their pups!
He is truly beautiful. If he were a puppy I would train him to be a show dog.

Good for you and your family for rescuing dogs in need. Good idea about the dog thread.

Last edited: