• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trip spending limit

ScottySkis

Spend more than a weekend in New England? More like more than a season.

I saw the Motel 6 Suite thingy while looking around. So 10 days of lodging for $400, 9 days of skiing is $621, and the cheapest airfare possible (JetBlue out of NYC, not possible for many of us) is $300 r/t (short of a major deal) before fees, assuming you plan a Mon-Weds trip when the fares are the lowest, and book during an appropriate window. Add in meals. You're still talking about $1500 absolute minimum for 10 days worth of skiing. I ski 40+ days in New England for a a third less than that, including my gas (all in). It is an expensive trip no matter how you slice it even with $40/day suite and free shuttle.

You could just fly out a Thursday overnight take off from work on Friday enjoy 3 great days, keep stuff at Snowbird on Sunday they watched my stuff, then take transit system to airport take JetBlue overnight and go to work Monday, not saying it still a little expensive then to make up for what you spend skip some crappy days back home.:)

You don't have to go out to eat that hotel has a kitchen.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
More importantly, comparing 10 day of what with 40 day of what?
I average better than 1/3 of my days as powder. About another 20% are usually corn spring days which are sometimes better than powder days. A prebooked trip vs. a vacation day anytime it snows 6" or more... a guarantee vs a roll of the dice. You can do the math for my own numbers. Though I am sure others it may be worth it from that perspective. I'm heading out there next year but it is despite the chances for powder, not because of it. It is for exploration and terrain, not for better quality days.

ScottySkis

I average better than 1/3 of my days as powder. About another 20% are usually corn spring days which are sometimes better than powder days. A prebooked trip vs. a vacation day anytime it snows 6" or more... a guarantee vs a roll of the dice. You can do the math for my own numbers. Though I am sure others it may be worth it from that perspective. I'm heading out there next year but it is despite the chances for powder, not because of it. It is for exploration and terrain, not for better quality days.

And really big mountains, well when you go I look foward to reading your trip reports.:)
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

4aprice

You'll enjoy it out there Riv. I agree that its more expensive but if the conditions are right it is worth the money (on top of the New England season). I will tell you this as well, as fun as powder is in New England (or anywhere), after you taste that Utah snow you'll be hooked. I spent alot of time in Colorado before I went to Utah. I never could have imagined snow being better then what it is in Colorado (and its good) but I have to say that the Utah powder I have skied tops them all.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong NJ

abc

I average better than 1/3 of my days as powder.
No you can't possibly have that. There weren't even 13 powder days total in the entire season! Not last season anyway. ;-)

A prebooked trip vs. a vacation day anytime it snows 6" or more... a guarantee vs a roll of the dice. You can do the math for my own numbers.
It's a lot more than just the number of inches. It's snow AND terrain!

Big huge cornices to jump off from, with easy landing even upper intermediate like me can attempt, because the snow is so much fluffier! (no, not just fresh powder, even the week old snow is still WAY softer than the eastern powder!)

Widely spaced trees (no, not "glades", just occasional trees to break up the monotony of wide open snowfield!) with low skier traffic so it never bump up.

All that without even hitting a big storm.

Then, when you luck out with a real one dumping 1/2 to 2 FEET of snow... I'll take a day of that over 10 days of man-made ice!!!

Though I am sure others it may be worth it from that perspective.
Yep! That's my perspective. That's why it's worth 3 times the cost, TO ME!

I'll gladly work the other 30 days while you're skiing in the eastern ice, to afford my 10 days out west! The last few years, I got very choosy about the days I ski in the east. Almost all my my eastern days are "powder" or corn days now -- more like 2/3 of them minimum. Want to make that 100% powder/corn! Not bothering to waste my time and money with anything less.

Actually, the next dream destination I'm saving for is Japan! Just hooked up with former buddy who had spend a few years in the west before moving to Asia. First hand report of the condition in Japan: snow is MORE, and DRIER than even the western powder, "like skiing in flours"! (the odd of that "roll of dice" is also very good due to very, very frequent storms) I give myself 3-5 years to make that dream come true. It'll be more expensive than even a western trip but after that first hand report, I can't wait!

kingslug

At this point I ski the Cats to practice, get in shape, and hang out with people I have met up there..I don't even consider the lack of quality anymore...that being said..its a real bummer that I haven't skied a day this month yet...hoping for a better January, need to get some time in before Whistler, which is a real leg killer with all that vert...this trip I prebooked months ago with a ski club so its all paid for and was a pretty good deal at $1750.00 for everything for a week...great group of people to hang with as well...
checked airfare to Utah for next week for the hell of it...$1200.00...prolly the most expensive week to go all year...but I had to look.....the ski reports from there...those I can't look at..just can't...

jaytrem

I saw the Motel 6 Suite thingy while looking around. So 10 days of lodging for $400, 9 days of skiing is $621, and the cheapest airfare possible (JetBlue out of NYC, not possible for many of us) is $300 r/t (short of a major deal) before fees, assuming you plan a Mon-Weds trip when the fares are the lowest, and book during an appropriate window. Add in meals. You're still talking about $1500 absolute minimum for 10 days worth of skiing. I ski 40+ days in New England for a a third less than that, including my gas (all in). It is an expensive trip no matter how you slice it even with $40/day suite and free shuttle.

If you're willing to put in some effort to work the system, you can easily do trips at under $100 per day (flight, rental car, hotel (non-crappy), lift tickets). My WY/ID trip this year is at about $750 for 8 days of skiing, that also includes the cost of 3 night tickets. Hotels and rental car is split 2 ways. I don't count food, I figure I have to eat no matter where I am.

I do have the numbers from a British Columbia trip 2 years ago, this number inlcudes gas, food and gifts, once again hotels/car split 2 ways. Came to $1263 for 12 days of skiing. Ski areas = Cypress, Seymour, 2 Whistler, Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White, Baldy, Manning, Hemlock, Mt. Baker, Grouse.

So yeah, trips can be pretty reasonable if you put in a little work.

Smellytele

At this point I ski the Cats to practice, get in shape, and hang out with people I have met up there..I don't even consider the lack of quality anymore...that being said..its a real bummer that I haven't skied a day this month yet...hoping for a better January, need to get some time in before Whistler, which is a real leg killer with all that vert...this trip I prebooked months ago with a ski club so its all paid for and was a pretty good deal at $1750.00 for everything for a week...great group of people to hang with as well...
checked airfare to Utah for next week for the hell of it...$1200.00...prolly the most expensive week to go all year...but I had to look.....the ski reports from there...those I can't look at..just can't...

If 1750 a person is a good deal I will never be going to Whistler. It would cost me almost 9 grand to do it with my family of 5. I can take a trip out west (CO, Ut or Tahoe) with my family of 5 for about half of that.

abc

At this point I ski the Cats to practice, get in shape, and hang out with people I have met up there..I don't even consider the lack of quality anymore...that being said..its a real bummer that I haven't skied a day this month yet...hoping for a better January, need to get some time in before Whistler, which is a real leg killer with all that vert...this trip I prebooked months ago with a ski club so its all paid for and was a pretty good deal at $1750.00 for everything for a week...great group of people to hang with as well....
Sounds just like the one I'm looking at, with Diamond Dog. Tempting...

checked airfare to Utah for next week for the hell of it...$1200.00...prolly the most expensive week to go all year...but I had to look.....the ski reports from there...those I can't look at..just can't..
Must resist... :)

It's the worst week of the year to ski most places. I bet even in SLC it's going to be super crowded. You might have to elbow your way through the crowd to get to the goods, if it's still any one when you get there...

As tempting as it looks on the webcam, it's not unique. The chance of happening upon such condition at SLC is quite good any time of the season. You can do two trips for that amount of money!

For getting in shape and hanging out with people, the Cat is perfect. Who cares if it's slush and you have to wear a rain coat! It's time to fire up those long forgotten muscles only used for skiing.

kingslug

Yup, thats with D Dogs..I went to Big Sky with them and had a very good time, lot of good skiers. And no, I wouldn't go anywhere xmas week..although after looking at the cams at Hunter..it might be pretty desolate up there..but all they need is a few cold nights. I guess everyone now sees their logic in opening up late....his is hurting them..bad...

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Their is one place in the Catskills that will not be crazy busy X- Mas week.:)

kingslug

Just checked airfare to Maine..I had no idea it was this cheap..around $200.00..damn..Sugarloaf might be my new stomping ground..you can't drive their for less..and its a little over an hour away...I never even considered Maine before...beats sitting 6 hours on a bus to K..well, for $100.00 that bus is the best deal in town...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just checked airfare to Maine..I had no idea it was this cheap..around $200.00..damn..Sugarloaf might be my new stomping ground..you can't drive their for less..and its a little over an hour away...I never even considered Maine before...beats sitting 6 hours on a bus to K..well, for $100.00 that bus is the best deal in town...

I'm assuming that's a flight to Portland? How much more are flights to Burlington? Burlington is only an hour from several N.VT ski areas. Sugarloaf is 2.5 hours from Portland.

goldsbar

All I learned is that the best exercise for skiing, is skiing.

100% true! I do squats, deadlifts, cycling, running, hit a heavy bag. I went skiing last weekend with my kids at Camelback, a small area in the Poconos. Six or Seven runs, all on a green circle except one. I wanted to take a nap at the end.

So two people on this message do deadlifts?!? I've haven't been to a commercial gym in 10+ years, but spent five years in my early 20's and two in my late 20's in various middle-of-the-road gyms (meaning not super hardcore but not a spa type either) and can't recall one person doing deadlifts. I was one of the few who did squats. Most of the time people hogged up the squat rack doing curls! Times must have changed. Relatively few people could do multiple reps on the bench with 225. On the Internet, everyone can bench 500 lbs!

kingslug

I'm assuming that's a flight to Portland? How much more are flights to Burlington? Burlington is only an hour from several N.VT ski areas. Sugarloaf is 2.5 hours from Portland.

Flights to Vt are more for some reason..only the airlines know...2.5 hours...oy...that makes it ...harder...they provide transportation to there if you book and stay with them..so it still might be worth it for the price..and its a Big place..maybe first week in Jan...

kingslug

100% true! I do squats, deadlifts, cycling, running, hit a heavy bag. I went skiing last weekend with my kids at Camelback, a small area in the Poconos. Six or Seven runs, all on a green circle except one. I wanted to take a nap at the end.

So two people on this message do deadlifts?!? I've haven't been to a commercial gym in 10+ years, but spent five years in my early 20's and two in my late 20's in various middle-of-the-road gyms (meaning not super hardcore but not a spa type either) and can't recall one person doing deadlifts. I was one of the few who did squats. Most of the time people hogged up the squat rack doing curls! Times must have changed. Relatively few people could do multiple reps on the bench with 225. On the Internet, everyone can bench 500 lbs!
I never have to wait to workout as NO one is at the powerlift area..hell if I had a garage I would just need a power rack and a bench..I'm closing in on 300 for the deadlift but taking it real slow,,,things get dicey when you're approaching 50...yoga has helped more than lifting...especially in the bumps..

ScottySkis

Flights to Vt are more for some reason..only the airlines know...2.5 hours...oy...that makes it ...harder...they provide transportation to there if you book and stay with them..so it still might be worth it for the price..and its a Big place..maybe first week in Jan...

I always think about flying to Burlington, but the flight to SLC is just couple hours longer and your in SLc .:)

Cheese

I start with squats and continue with deadlifts since I've already got the rack claimed at that point. Since I moved legs to Tuesdays I seem to have little interference. Occasionally I'll be held up by someone doing curls but I don't complain since I'm "that guy" on Mondays. If someone wants to squat, I'll quit the curls and offer up the rack.

Pretty sure I can still get 6 reps at 225 but the current program is dumbbells so I can't be sure. If I've lost my bench, I'll be an unhappy camper. Maybe 2 or 3 guys that work out when I do can throw up 315 on the bench, but I haven't seen a power lifter in a long time. A lot more high intensity training going on around me like P90X or variations there of.

kingslug

I always think about flying to Burlington, but the flight to SLC is just couple hours longer and your in SLc .:)

Spent last night checking the web, called Sugarloaf to blab with them for a while...by the time I'm done its about $1200.00 for 5 days up there. not including food.Plane ride, car rental, 2.5 hours each way worth of gas, hotel with lift tix..that added up, that was $875.00 alone..ouch..might as well spend the rest and head west..although I would like to ski there some time..I bet this week is pretty good!