• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trying to get back into Skiing after 20+ years

Ragman

Hello all. Newbie here. I have a few questions for anyone who can help but first a little background.

I skied alot back from 1986 to 1993. Mostly local hills, I would say my experience level was intermediate. I would ski any run on the mountain but double black diamonds with tons of moguls wasnt for me - I would ski 10 to 20 feet, stop and repeat all the way down. I like long trails, carving turns and speed. Not into moguls.

I got into a nasty car accident in which I fractured my pelvis and figured my skiing days were done.

20 years later my 8 yr old son shows interest so we went to a local bunny hill and tried a few runs.
We both loved it and plan on getting season passes this year.

So my questions are - Skis have changed so much and the rentals I had were so easy to ski on, what style should I be looking for?

How can you tell how old skis are?

How can I tell if a used ski with bindings that housed a size 7 boot will be able to hold a size 12 without redrilling?

Also, are these any good. http://rochester.craigslist.org/spo/4667538611.html

Thank you all.

BenedictGomez

How can you tell how old skis are?

Put the Make and model (e.g. Rossignol Soul7, Icelantic Shaman, Line Blend) into GOOG, and then select "image search". Look at the top-sheet graphics of the ski and compare them (almost without exception, manufacturers change the top-sheet art every year).

When you buy used skis, "year" isnt the only factor. You could see 7 year old skis that were barely used, or 2 year old rentals that have 89 full days on them. Look at the edges, look for chipping, look especially at the bases and try to see if there's any bad damage or evidence of core shots, etc...

How can I tell if a used ski with bindings that housed a size 7 boot will be able to hold a size 12 without redrilling?

Find out the BSL of the boot the person you're buying from had in them, versus your won boot.

Ragman

Thank you BG. I went to the local used ski place we have here and he seemed very knowledgable and was trying to sell me all sorts of stuff.
ie - 10 year old skis that seem to never have been used with very little shape to them for $99, previously rented skis from local slope for $229, Demo rail system skis for $249
All the bottoms and edges on these looked fine but I will be taking closer looks before I buy anything.
I guess the newer style of ski is the Parabollic or shaped ski but Im readin that smoe the the earlier ones were too narrow under the bindings making it difficult to carve. Is there truth to this?
Also looked at the skis that a re curved up and both ends and was told they are more freestyle or used to ski backwards - which I did enjoy doing back 20 years ago and could be helpful when working with my 8 yr old.

Soo many options out there and I cannot afford new.... Im just a little overwhelmed.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Also, are these any good. http://rochester.craigslist.org/spo/4667538611.html

Thank you all.

Those bindings will absolutely need to be re-drilled. I don't believe a binding exists that are capable of adjusting 5 sizes unless they are demo bindings.

Depending on the age of those bindings, a shop might not be willing to remount them for you.

I would be leery of making that purchase. While they are super cheap, the seller doesn't list the model of the ski, doesn't know the true dimensions of the skis (both length, widths and turning radius) the conditions of the bases and his little jingle about Vail and Jay is just a turn off. :lol: Kind of looks like he may have picked all that stuff up for cheap at a yard sale and is just looking to flip it for a quick profit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My suggestion for you trying to get back into the sport after twenty years is to look for a seasonal rental program at reputable shop. That will cost you similar coin to buying lower end used equipment like you see in that craigslist posting. Such programs typically allow you to swap out different sized skis throughout the year as you improve and find out what you're comfortable with. Once you get your muscle memory back from being away from the sport for 20 years, then you can really dial in one you would want to purchase and for what kind of money.

trackbiker

My suggestion for you trying to get back into the sport after twenty years is to look for a seasonal rental program at reputable shop. That will cost you similar coin to buying lower end used equipment like you see in that craigslist posting. Such programs typically allow you to swap out different sized skis throughout the year as you improve and find out what you're comfortable with. Once you get your muscle memory back from being away from the sport for 20 years, then you can really dial in one you would want to purchase and for what kind of money.

I would agree with this. I know most shops have great deals for seasonal rentals for kids. I would think they would have something for adults too. Maybe even more important than the skis, if you buy a pair of used boots and they don't fit right or they hurt your feet after skiing on them, you can take them back and try another brand, size, etc. This will give you some time to do a little research before next season to have a better idea of what type of ski you want. There are some great deals to be had on used equipment but need to know what you are looking for. You can ask more questions as you learn about the advances in equipment over the last 20 yrs. and I'm sure you'll get some great advice on that here.

Ragman

Thank you DeadHead, I figured as much with the bindings. Just curious, how many sizes can most bindings adjust without redrilling? That is of course if the original setup is true and it hasnt already been adjusted a 2nd time.

Ive checked into seasonal rentals and I think Id almost rather pick up a cheap set of used from a shop, run them for a year or two then b uy what I really want.

By the way I love your sig pic. My relatives live in Concord and I rode my bike up to Laconia 2 years ago for bike week.

Ragman

I would agree with this. I know most shops have great deals for seasonal rentals for kids. I would think they would have something for adults too. Maybe even more important than the skis, if you buy a pair of used boots and they don't fit right or they hurt your feet after skiing on them, you can take them back and try another brand, size, etc. This will give you some time to do a little research before next season to have a better idea of what type of ski you want. There are some great deals to be had on used equipment but need to know what you are looking for. You can ask more questions as you learn about the advances in equipment over the last 20 yrs. and I'm sure you'll get some great advice on that here.

Thanks guys, maybe I will take a deeper look into this. Last I checked though it was like $299 for the season. Thats a little pricey for me, almost better off renting each time I go.

Scruffy

Thanks guys, maybe I will take a deeper look into this. Last I checked though it was like $299 for the season. Thats a little pricey for me, almost better off renting each time I go.

How many times are you planning to ski? It's about $50 a day for the cheap rentals.

Ski swap and sells are going to be happening very soon, if not now.. so look in your area and see if there are any .. call ski shops for dates.

Don't be afraid of a remount. Skis can handle being re-drilled a few times, especially at your level of skiing.

Ragman

Really? that much? dam has skiing gotten much more expensive. Looks like it would be about $120 a day for me for lift/rent thats not including food and beer for the day.

ugh... why oh why did I take my son skiing.

So if any of you had to reccommend a new or used setup for someone with my skilset, what would you reccommend?

Like I said - Im looking for an intermediate ski, not into moguls or racing but I do enjoy carving and going fast when possible.

You guys are great, never expected this many responses in such a short time. Happy I found this forum.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Have any buddies that ski? You never know. Someone might have an extra set of skis in their closet they don't use that you could borrow your first year back.

BenedictGomez

Really? that much? dam has skiing gotten much more expensive. Looks like it would be about $120 a day for me for lift/rent thats not including food and beer for the day..

There's (almost) never a reason to pay full freight for lift tickets. Check out the SOTC thread sticky at the top, there's some great info in there.

As for seasonal rentals, I almost never advise that, but in your case it might be a very good idea assuming you're going to go a decent number of times. I disagree with the "$50 for rentals" response though, $30 is more typical.

Frankly, if you knew more about skis I'd recommend buying on EBAY, where you can find very nice used set-ups for $225 - $350 that should last you for several years. Think of it as a prepaid investment. The problem is, if you dont know what you're doing you're at risk of wasting money on junk. There are, however, a few merchants on EBAY that sell recently used rental inventory (skis 1 to 3 years old) from well-known brands/models on demo bindings for cheap prices. The skis might be a little beat up, but they have life in them. That's another option to explore if you're not gonna' spend a lot on this muffler.

Ragman

Thanks guys.

BG - I hear ya, from what Ive heard on this forum and from what others have told me the best option besides new would be to pick up previously enjoyed rentals. Ive heard what they usually use for rentals is a bulletproof setup that is made to take a beating - not that I would be giving them a beating but it would lead me to believe they are good quality skis.

Ragman

DHS - my ski buddies and I have long since grown apart. I am finding a few new ski buddies in my old age - lol Im 44. But none of them have any sets they are willing to part with.

Scruffy

The ~$50 was Killington, you might find cheaper day rentals at smaller mountains.

Where are you located ? Rochester?
Where will you ski? How far do you have to drive to the mountain?

Ask yourself how many times you realistically are going to ski this year?
If the answers is a only a handful, then rent until you're sure you want to invest in the sport. (i.e your son may try skiing, but really want to snowboard, if you buy him skis before he knows, you'll waste you money unless you can resell them for the same $)
End of the season is the time to buy new or if a mountain is unloading their demo gear.

Savemeasammy

Good for you getting back into it after 20 years. I just did this myself 2 years ago. My first few days out I used my old "straight" skis, and then I demoed some new shaped skis. HUGE difference. If I were you, I would also scour craigslist for skis. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Having 2 young kids ourselves - who have started skiing also - the money only goes so far! I would wait until ski season gets a bit closer and you will have a better selection. If you wear a size 12 boot, I will go out on a limb and say 160anything is too short for you. I am 5'9" and ski on 175's - although if I were an intermediate, I would be on something a bit shorter.

Like what BG said earlier, when you see something on craigslist, google it for reviews. You will be able to find out if they are appropriate for your level and style of skiing. If at all possible, buy a brand-new pair of boots. Try several, and buy something that fits well. Crappy boots are a waste of money, and will ruin your experience. Lousy skis can always be demoted to rock skis. Lousy boots just suck.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Well the skis in craigslist are twin tips - not that that is a big deal you can get used to that but a flat tailed carving ski would be optimal. I thinks something like this is a good approach it is used but has a demo binding on it and the price is not bad. Rent skis 4 times and these could have been purchased.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/dynastar-supra-rl-skis-nx-10-demo-bindings.aspx#image=85457/382505/clone.jpg

however, a lot depends also on your height/weight/ability. You can call Evo and they might square you away. At the same time there many other online examples out there that you might consider and as someone else mentioned - it is swap met season.

Ragman

The ~$50 was Killington, you might find cheaper day rentals at smaller mountains.

Where are you located ? Rochester? Yes.
Where will you ski? How far do you have to drive to the mountain? Bristol, Swain, but mostly Northhampton park which is a small 1 run with tow rope hill. Northhampton is 10min away , Swain and Bristol are each 45 min.

Ask yourself how many times you realistically are going to ski this year? Northhampton - Im hoping 20-30 times, BRistol and Swain probably less than 5 times each
If the answers is a only a handful, then rent until you're sure you want to invest in the sport. (i.e your son may try skiing, but really want to snowboard, if you buy him skis before he knows, you'll waste you money unless you can resell them for the same $)
End of the season is the time to buy new or if a mountain is unloading their demo gear.

I didnt know that about the unloading of demo gear. I did search craigslist and saw these but I was worried about the narrow mid section of the ski. http://rochester.craigslist.org/spo/4698914942.html Figured for $50 tho it could be worth a shot.

Ragman

Well the skis in craigslist are twin tips - not that that is a big deal you can get used to that but a flat tailed carving ski would be optimal. I thinks something like this is a good approach it is used but has a demo binding on it and the price is not bad. Rent skis 4 times and these could have been purchased.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/dynastar-supra-rl-skis-nx-10-demo-bindings.aspx#image=85457/382505/clone.jpg

however, a lot depends also on your height/weight/ability. You can call Evo and they might square you away. At the same time there many other online examples out there that you might consider and as someone else mentioned - it is swap met season.

Yeah, see thats what I need - people in the know telling me what is good and what isnt. Its why Im here. We had our annual Dome ski sale here and I didnt have the money to go. I probably wouldve gotten some nice boots but I heard the skis deals were crappy.

Thank u dlague

Ragman

Good for you getting back into it after 20 years. I just did this myself 2 years ago. My first few days out I used my old "straight" skis, and then I demoed some new shaped skis. HUGE difference. If I were you, I would also scour craigslist for skis. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Having 2 young kids ourselves - who have started skiing also - the money only goes so far! I would wait until ski season gets a bit closer and you will have a better selection. If you wear a size 12 boot, I will go out on a limb and say 160anything is too short for you. I am 5'9" and ski on 175's - although if I were an intermediate, I would be on something a bit shorter.

Like what BG said earlier, when you see something on craigslist, google it for reviews. You will be able to find out if they are appropriate for your level and style of skiing. If at all possible, buy a brand-new pair of boots. Try several, and buy something that fits well. Crappy boots are a waste of money, and will ruin your experience. Lousy skis can always be demoted to rock skis. Lousy boots just suck.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

I do indeed wear a size 12 boot but Im only 5'8. go figure. I agree with good boots. I remember from my days of skiing that my feet were the only things that really hurt after a day on the slopes.