• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Uphill Resort Skinning… a warning

eatskisleep

Looks like Sugarbush just ended most of their uphill travel… and that Black of NH will too if people don’t smarten up and obey the rules:
Black mountain in NH just posted this:

“Over the last few years, the “earn your turns” alpine touring movement has become the most talked about new way to get outside and get active, especially in the MWV. We love that. Getting more people on skis, getting kids introduced to the sport, and giving people a way to relieve stress, exercise and enjoy nature is something we are absolutely on board with. This is why we partnered with Andrew Drummond in his inaugural year of Ski The Whites back in 2017, and in the years since have provided a facility, terrain, and snow (when Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate) to those who wish to earn their turns. Ski The Whites’ event “Friday Night Lights” is known throughout New England, if not across the country, as the place to be on Fridays whether you have many touring hours under your belt or you are new to the sport. We are proud to have been involved in this.

As the popularity of uphill touring grew, it became evident that guidelines and policies were needed to help keep mountain staff and guests safe. These policies differ by mountain, based on location, ownership and terrain, but it is your responsibility as a mountain guest to educate yourself in this regard. It is a simple request that you find the policy, read the policy, and adhere to the policy. The policy is not up for debate, it is not up for interpretation, and applies to you - yes, even if you consider yourself a local. Our uphill travel policy can be found here: blackmt.com/uphill-policy

To put it frankly, Black Mountain is private property; it is not public land. You do not have a right to access this mountain. Accessing the mountain and trails is a privilege and doing so without permission is trespassing. A season pass, lift ticket, or uphill ticket is required to access the property in any way. Unfortunately, widespread disregard of our simple request to purchase a $10 ticket to access our property will very soon result in the elimination of any alpine touring or uphill travel permitted at Black Mountain. Pretending to not see numerous, fluorescent signs that we’d prefer to not have riddling the base area and trails is unacceptable. Parking in auxiliary lots, at the inn next door, up the road in the driveways of private homes to avoid being seen is insulting and disrespectful. It is discourteous to your peers who have purchased tickets or passes. It is entitlement on display, and it is embarrassing that anyone would prefer to circumvent our policy and behave this way to avoid paying a $10 fee. To be clear, this $10 fee is not only reasonable, but goes directly toward maintaining the independent, family owned business that is keeping this activity available. If "Ski Free or Die" is your mantra, this is not your playground.

This is our only warning - so please share it with your friends. We’d love to continue to welcome uphill travelers at our mountain, but we kindly ask that you respect us and cooperate with our rules. Failure to do so will result in the revocation of uphill access for all at Black Mountain, and trespassers will be reported to police.”

71F8EF85-8ACE-4E63-B4CD-C73E46030465.jpeg

Smellytele

I bought the $29 season uphill pass at Pats this year. Well worth it. yesterday I ended up doing a granite backcountry alliance glade in sugar hill. Fresh powder run as I was the first to ski it after Monday’s snow.
Cannon basically only allows it for season pass holders or for full day ticket Holders.

drjeff

Can't blame the folks at Sugarbush for making the call as a result of what those couple of folks did with actively violating the posted routes as well as the flashing signage that a winch cat was active in that area. Lucky for those 2 it sounds like from the article that they weren't severely injured by the winch cable.

Maybe it will cause a bit of a reset of the mentality that *some* folks in the skinning community who seem to feel that the posted routes at ski areas are meant for others and not for them, not getting, or believing maybe, that the posted routes are there for safety of both those skinning as well as the mountain ops staff who may very well be actively out on the mountain when the lifts aren't spinning.

Sounds like this might be example #1001 of how a few bad apples ruin things for the majority of folks who do play by the posted rules, and rules that are there for everyone's safety

Mainer

Black has changed through the years. I love going there on powder days. There has been days where I was the only person on powder days until 10. It is a lot more crowded with the Indy and skinning. Only bad experience was a couple years ago was told they would call the cops on me and arrest me for trespassing for ducking ropes if they caught me again. Before that time ski patrol used to not care (there is only one person there on weekdays for ski patrol)
In the last few years there has literally been hundred of people skinning up the trails on Weekends. I can definitely see the need to charge these people. Black is not exactly a cash cow.
Unfortunately with more success comes more rules. But I still love black, the bar is great, the vibe is great (don’t duck ropes). They blast music at the base, such a fun place especially with little kids. It’s a step back in time.

IceEidolon

I'd suspect it's not the group being called out by motto, but that the group and backcountry skiers both use that motto.

ctdubl07

The letter in OP is fantastic in tone and message. Something so direct and frank could only be written by a private entity without inside a PR/inside counsel/HR. Oh how Im jealous...

Edd

Doesn’t seem like an overtly dickish group. Could be a few rogue elements in there through. Could’ve just tagged them to spread the word to BC enthusiasts.

Mainer

It’s a conga line there on a weekend. Sniffing each other’s butt because there is so many of them in a line, while people are wizzing by giving the wtf look. Can’t pay the $10, but spend $1500 on a new AT setup. While the owner of black bumps chairs to make ends meet. Skinning an open resort is a strange endeavor.
Black is the only mountain I make sure to buy a couple beers at, just to give them a couple bucks.

Edd

Why are "back country" skiers skinning up on resort slopes?

I thought the whole idea of "back country" is nature and solitude...
Skinning up resort slopes is incredibly common. Some folks are driven by the exercise and cost-savings parts as much as any back country motivation.

NYDB

Skinning up resort slopes is incredibly common. Some folks are driven by the exercise and cost-savings parts as much as any back country motivation.
yeah its mostly for fitness. Kind of like hitting wrod early season to get the legs ready for january powder.

It's also good practice for getting your shit sorted out, transitions dialed, etc.