• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

snoseek

Cannon is closing after today. They had some "interesting" thin spots yesterday and it had been noted on here that they had been blowing a ton of snow. The connector trails were the issue.
It's probably those mid mtn trails. The biggest difference to me is wildcat was just a run or two well into January and are finishing with not much either. Cannon got their trail count up fast and overall skied much better overall imo.

xlr8r

Cannon is closing after today. They had some "interesting" thin spots yesterday and it had been noted on here that they had been blowing a ton of snow. The connector trails were the issue.

Yeah I was at Cannon as well yesterday, definitely some interesting thin spots. Curious how they patched it all up in order to open today as the place got trashed yesterday. But Barons, Skylight, Ravine, Garys, and especially Profile all skied very well for a great last day of my season. Though I did fall on my tailbone which is sore today

Last edited:

Smellytele

It's probably those mid mtn trails. The biggest difference to me is wildcat was just a run or two well into January and are finishing with not much either. Cannon got their trail count up fast and overall skied much better overall imo.
Yes this and what they still had open was pretty good. Profile, Taft and skylight off the top were great yesterday and Tram and ravine were fun as well. Barons over at mittersill had tons of snow left and skyline into Dragon's drop, while not very wide provided some nice skiing as well.
Front five had great coverage on Gary's and Zoomer but Rocket had some obstacle skiing.

thebigo

Not at all surprised wildcat closed, the product they put out Saturday was barely worth skiing and it showed in the turnout; there were more customers at SR on Friday than wildcat on Saturday. The fact that wildcat made it is as late as they did is a testament to the mountain, it is a special place that only managed to put out a 120 day season this year. One of the warmer springs on record, no significant snowfall since February, absolutely bare bones snowmaking. Washington this weekend looked like it should in a month or two. Had wildcat blown another week in February, when they had the temps and staff, Lynx and Polecat may have made it to the end but they chose to bet on natural.

Last edited:

thebigo

Gives them the excuse to not connect the lift directly to the trails. Walking .may be required, but your taking your skis off anyway

There was a massive amount of snow in the park that they could push out if they needed. Been very impressed with the Boyne properties this spring. Possible my expectations are lowered due to skiing NH Vail all year but the service, surfaces and operations at Loon and SR this past week have been excellent.

I do agree that gondola sucks but will probably grab one more day at Loon this week if the weather looks good.

machski

I found the below quote in the article interesting....

The mid-mountain Cloud Nine Bistro at Aspen Highlands regularly sells more than 100 bottles of champagne every weekend lunch. (A Chicago man being sued in Pitkin County for an alleged hit-and-run crash at Aspen Highlands that injured another skier had just paid a $4,704 tab from Cloud Nine from earlier in the afternoon.)
Ever been to Cloud 9 on the Highlands? Went last year as two ladies I was skiing with wanted Champagne to celebrate making the Highland Bowl hike and ski. Two glasses were like $120, bottles were ridiculously priced. Heard a lot of European languages being spoken there. Seemed kind of odd, Highlands is still very much a locals and hard charging skier/rider hill. But Cloud 9 Bistro seems like it was grafted from Ajax or Snowmass.

Edd

Ever been to Cloud 9 on the Highlands? Went last year as two ladies I was skiing with wanted Champagne to celebrate making the Highland Bowl hike and ski. Two glasses were like $120, bottles were ridiculously priced. Heard a lot of European languages being spoken there. Seemed kind of odd, Highlands is still very much a locals and hard charging skier/rider hill. But Cloud 9 Bistro seems like it was grafted from Ajax or Snowmass.
Wow, I’ve been there and don’t remember the prices but $60 glasses of Champagne would have driven me out for sure.

cdskier

PCMR closed yesterday. So are there any Vail Resorts still open in the NE? Stowe?
Yes, Stowe is still open. This coming weekend is their planned closing date. Mt Snow is still open as well with this weekend being their planned closing too.

jaytrem

Yes, Stowe is still open. This coming weekend is their planned closing date. Mt Snow is still open as well with this weekend being their planned closing too.

Coverage isn't bad at all at Carinthia. They could probably go a couple more weeks if they went to just Heavy Metal and pushed out the jumps. Saturday was great on Ripcord but the Main Mountain was melting out quick.

chuckstah

Nosedive has the best coverage..at least it did.
Made a Stowe Rez for tomorrow. First time this season, better late than never. Looks like a lot of Nosedive if the trail report is accurate.... only diamond left....

hovercraft

Went to Stowe today and yesterday. The coverage was good on the trails that were open. Nose dive was excellent today. Had a blast!!!!! Enjoy.

chuckstah

Went to Stowe today and yesterday. The coverage was good on the trails that were open. Nose dive was excellent today. Had a blast!!!!! Enjoy.
Sounds great. It's a long day trip, I need the reassurance.