• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The irony is Mount Snow has more than enough parking on all but a literal handful of days each season. You can read about it in the master plan filings. They rarely go above 75% full on all but a single-digit number of days a season. Of course, this was pre-Epic so maybe the crowds increased a ton?

skiur

I used to ski Mt snow a lot in the mid 2000's. The parking there definitely seemed to be pretty damn full every Saturday I was there. Only been there once in the last 5 years and the parking was pretty filled up, and that was a Friday.

icecoast1

The irony is Mount Snow has more than enough parking on all but a literal handful of days each season. You can read about it in the master plan filings. They rarely go above 75% full on all but a single-digit number of days a season. Of course, this was pre-Epic so maybe the crowds increased a ton?
Only really had one year to compare before the pandemic, but it didnt really seem all that different than the previous years- a huge uptick in traffic definitely happened with the introduction of the peak pass, but I'm not sure about much with the epic. Hard to tell though because there isnt enough of a sample. Nice money grab by Vail though

drjeff

Last season, from what I recall, there was only 1 day when they exceeded their parking lot capacity (or at least had cars parking around the periphery of Snow Lake and what looked to be FULL parking lots).

Most seasons, that will happen maybe 2 or 3 times.

Last season you didn't have a decent percentage of the Sundance Lodge lot filled with tour buses as you typically do as well.

One of the things that may decrease slightly some of the typical parking lot volume is that folks who live in condo complexes/private homes along the Moover shuttle route, who may typically drive to the mountain, may now choose to use the Moover service, or at least more than they have in the past. I know my many, and multiple other friends that I have talked with over the last few days are certainly contemplating this option, and certainly aren't thrilled about this decision in general, as many of us did have season parking passes

ctdubl07

As abutters, we were privy to some updates and one of the more viable/explored parts of their master plan just prior to the sale was the parking garage at Carinthia. It was going to be needed for the planned 4-5 residential bldgs. Over the previous 2 summers, a ton of work was done on the southerly lot in preparation. Drainage was rerouted, huge amounts of filled removed and replaced with blasted rock from LJohn and grading done all around. That project is now a likely specs on the distant horizon but housing and that deck would certainly change many of the perspectives of the Carinthia area. I for one now will be offering parking at $5 less than the Mtn!

drjeff

One of the unintended consequences I can see happening on the hill as a result of this move, is that Long John becomes even more of a sh$t show on the weekends that it already can be.

The Carinthia crowd, some of whom will want nothing to do with paying for parking on the weekends I am sure, nor waiting until 1PM when the lots become free of charge at Carinthia to get their park laps in., will park over at the free main base area lots, then head to the top, and head down Long John to get to Carinthia. Long John already has enough pressure on it with the beginners and the number of skiers/riders making their way towards Carinthia and the trails that way on the Main Face. Then at the end of the day, those same folks who used the top 1/2 of Long John to access Carinthia, will now use the lower 1/2 late day to get back to the main base area, also not a good on hill traffic situation.

The park crowd, a decent percentage of whom just ski/ride Carinthia their entire time out on the hill many days, will now be spread out across the main face again, which will create some problems for sure (thinking back to the various videos posted this Spring where the Karen's and Ken's got into it with the park crowd.

Forget the parking ire this will bring, it's also likely to create more on hill ire situations as well, especially on the busy weekend days....

BenedictGomez

Lols at Mount Blow and Vail doing whatever it takes to upset customers.

The pursuit of ancillary revenue is just beginning, this is bottom of the 2nd Inning at best.
Every corporate rollup does this regardless of the industry, it's a step on the path to eventual destruction.

JimG.

Staff member
Thats right..make the slugs life harder..go ahead...
Well...not my intention.

I'm not charging you to park anyway, talk to Vail. As BG said, this is to be expected with big corporate mergers. I'm guessing there will soon be charges for lodge access as well.

I wonder how much Snow plans to charge for a day of parking.

O09

As abutters, we were privy to some updates and one of the more viable/explored parts of their master plan just prior to the sale was the parking garage at Carinthia. It was going to be needed for the planned 4-5 residential bldgs. Over the previous 2 summers, a ton of work was done on the southerly lot in preparation. Drainage was rerouted, huge amounts of filled removed and replaced with blasted rock from LJohn and grading done all around. That project is now a likely specs on the distant horizon but housing and that deck would certainly change many of the perspectives of the Carinthia area. I for one now will be offering parking at $5 less than the Mtn!
Carinthia parking lot got classified by the state as a brownfield. No way they spend the extra money to put a parking garage there, knowing you are looking at ~10mil remediation costs before getting started. Plenty of other non-brownfield sites that they have to work with.

mbedle

Carinthia parking lot got classified by the state as a brownfield. No way they spend the extra money to put a parking garage there, knowing you are looking at ~10mil remediation costs before getting started. Plenty of other non-brownfield sites that they have to work with.
Subsurface parking will be used for the residential development at Carinthia (i.e., beneath each building). A parking deck is proposed over the existing Carinthia parking lot.

O09

Subsurface parking will be used for the residential development at Carinthia (i.e., beneath each building). A parking deck is proposed over the existing Carinthia parking lot.
Where the parking deck was proposed is a stump dump with contaminated soil. The stumps are 20 ft thick within the lot. Those stumps need to be separated out via the soil segregation plan if they plan to put in a parking deck. Without doing so, the footings would collapse as the stumps decompose.

So they proposed a underground garage after the above ground deck was no longer viable.

But, the soil that comprises the lot besides the stumps is contaminated by petroleum and other contaminants, located approx 7-14 ft down on the southern end of the lot. So Peaks second plan for an underground parking lot (not where the condos were proposed) is impossible due to the very expensive nature in disposing of contaminated soil and segregating out the stumps.

Once Peaks got their parking lot cut off from expanding southward, when the stream at it's southern edge got reclassified, the parking expansion plans at Carinthia and associated condos effectively ended.

mbedle

Where the parking deck was proposed is a stump dump with contaminated soil. The stumps are 20 ft thick within the lot. Those stumps need to be separated out via the soil segregation plan if they plan to put in a parking deck. Without doing so, the footings would collapse as the stumps decompose.

So they proposed a underground garage after the above ground deck was no longer viable.

But, the soil that comprises the lot besides the stumps is contaminated by petroleum and other contaminants, located approx 7-14 ft down on the southern end of the lot. So Peaks second plan for an underground parking lot (not where the condos were proposed) is impossible due to the very expensive nature in disposing of contaminated soil and segregating out the stumps.

Once Peaks got their parking lot cut off from expanding southward, when the stream at it's southern edge got reclassified, the parking expansion plans at Carinthia and associated condos effectively ended.
I knew about the stump dump and PAH in soils beneath the current lot. I didn't realize that the stumps went down 20 feet. Is the stump dump present beneath the entire lot?

O09

I knew about the stump dump and PAH in soils beneath the current lot. I didn't realize that the stumps went down 20 feet. Is the stump dump present beneath the entire lot?
Yes, the stumps are underneath the entire lot. It was permitted as a stump dump in the 80s when Stugger expanded the Carinthia terrain to the top of where the quad lift goes.