• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

thebigo

A place to talk about the ways that vail sucks.

I will start:

Vail’s epic waiting room now indicates an opening day of December 11 for wildcat, with opening days further into December for the other three mountains owned in NH. This despite areas as far south as the Carolinas operating since November. In addition to all three of their areas in Vermont operating since November. The Epic Waiting Room even indicates Hunter will reopen any day after opening in November.

I would like to assume the opening day for wildcat is an error but you have no way to confirm. They still have the audacity to claim the ‘longest season in NH’ on their website, a website that lists November 13 as opening day. I would call their customer service but previous attempts have resulted in getting hung up on, after waiting an hour to talk to someone. Rather than communicate, they expect me to schedule my day around their Epic Waiting room hoping their website is in error. A reasonable hope considering past experience.

I still cannot confirm a pass for my four year old. There is no method to order or purchase a child pass on their website, I have called multiple times with a variety of answers and still no conclusion. One told me I could only pick up a pass at Sunapee, another that I had to wait in line for a day pass everytime we visit, another to get a season pass from each mountain in person.

While you may be happy they opened your mountain when able, or gave you a hoodsie cup on your birthday, keep on an eye on what they are doing in New Hampshire. Remember the faceless corporate monolith can do the same to you. They can divert your dollars elsewhere and destroy your decades old local culture, all the while offering zero communication.

I cannot even imagine working for them, I feel for the long term employees that sacrifice to keep our local mountains running.

The sooner Vail leaves eastern skiing the better off all skiers, their employees and ski towns will be.

EPB

Is it too late to back out? It is likely to be a tough year for Black Mountain unless this turns out to be a good snow year and reservations consistently fill up on weekends/holidays at Attitash and Wildcat. Maybe this is the year to support local when they could very well need it most.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
@BenedictGomez here's your thread and give us you infinite wisdom on how Vail will collapse and the reign of terror will be over :ROFLMAO:

I skied Mount Snow on the fist powder day of last year, late November. The mountain was 95% skiable. On the North Face they were only running Challenger and lines were over 20 minutes long....people started a "Vail Sucks" chant it was hilarious. They also heckled anyone who mis-loaded. Fun atmosphere.

urungus

Is it too late to back out? It is likely to be a tough year for Black Mountain unless this turns out to be a good snow year and reservations consistently fill up on weekends/holidays at Attitash and Wildcat. Maybe this is the year to support local when they could very well need it most.

I plan on backing out. If you haven’t skiied yet and there is at least one day at any resort that is “sold out” for priority reservations, you can request a refund by Dec 7.

Also if you are in a state like Massachusetts that requires quarantining when returning home, you should also be able to request a “Personal Event” refund:

Refund Eligibility. You may be eligible for a “Personal Event Refund” if you are prevented from using your Pass during the Core Season due to a “Qualifying Personal Event”.

A Qualifying Personal Event is one or more of the following:
Stay-at Home Order. You are unable to use your Pass during the Core Season because the municipality, county, state, province, or country in which your Permanent Residence is located is subject to a “quarantine,” “stay-at-home,” “shelter-in-place” or other comparable mandatory governmental order lasting thirty (30) or more consecutive days, at least seven (7) days of which are during the Core Season. Your “Permanent Residence” refers to your fixed, permanent and principal home for legal and tax purposes.

Reactions: EPB

EPB

I'm not one to tell other people what to do with their money, but backing out could be alternative worth considering. As much as they've half assed NH, they've at least offered an escape hatch for those that want to take it.

abc

I didn't realize quarantine is included in the "Personal Event" list.

But it isn't too clear whether that's quarantine of the home state, or whether it also applies to crossing state border.

cdskier

I didn't realize quarantine is included in the "Personal Event" list.

But it isn't too clear whether that's quarantine of the home state, or crossing state border.
Yea...I don't think "quarantine after traveling out of state" is what they intended to be covered there. I'm not a lawyer and not about to carefully read or interpret the legalese, but I'd just be careful to anyone that thinks this scenario is covered under that. I'd be more likely to say it is not covered. Vail will argue that you're allowed to leave your home state in order to get to the ski area and it isn't their problem about what you have to do when you get back.

snoseek

Just a little fucking communication on their intentions with each resorts opening plan. They should all be opening up within the next couple weeks and Wildcat needs to happen Asap like monday. I mean I think they are blowing snow? I dont know there's one webcam at the base. This is what happens when you run marketing out of Broomfield.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No doubt about it Vail seems to be lacking effort in NH and I've heard similar stories from several Epic pass holders regarding poor customer service

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just a little fucking communication on their intentions with each resorts opening plan. They should all be opening up within the next couple weeks and Wildcat needs to happen Asap like monday. I mean I think they are blowing snow? I dont know there's one webcam at the base. This is what happens when you run marketing out of Broomfield.

They have the most atrocious conditions reporting in the business.

How difficult is it to update your website each day with a one paragraph communication of what trails and when snowmaking and grooming will be occurring on

snoseek

They have the most atrocious conditions reporting in the business.

How difficult is it to update your website each day with a one paragraph communication of what trails and when snowmaking and grooming will be occurring on
As skiers this winter they expect us to plan ahead but cant even blast out an email or facebook or god forbid a snow report. They would be complete silence if it wasnt for them trying to sell stuff like passes and vacations.

abc

As skiers this winter they expect us to plan ahead but cant even blast out an email or facebook or god forbid a snow report. They would be complete silence if it wasnt for them trying to sell stuff like passes and vacations.
There's always the options of not buying a pass in the first place.

Too many people bought based on hope rather than reality. There's the difference between IKON and EPIC. With IKON, the decision to defer is up to the skier. With EPIC, it's up to Vail under some complex rules. I know a few people who chose IKON over EPIC for that reason alone.

Granted, it's much harder for the northeast skiers. Vail owns more mountains than Alterra. And many of those mountains are kind of "corner the market" type of mountain too.

I bought EPIC. But I have a much lower expectation than other years. Also, I "downgraded" my pass to limit my lose if the season turns out to be a total clusterf*

Edd

Dont know if this has been posted, but I heard from a reliable source that the entire 2nd floor of Wildcat’s lodge will be the restaurant this season, which I’m glad to hear. Right now, being indoors at a base lodge doesn’t sound appealing but I’ll probably give in at some point.

jimmywilson69

They've already neutered a pretty popular night/club program here at the Southcentral PA resorts that was a huge profit center prior to these resorts being sold to peak and ultimately vail. The corporate bozos think eveyone wants to ski out west on their super cheap epic pass. They couldn't be more wrong. Many people want to ski cheaply at night in Pennsylvania. Yes its not the greatest, but people do like it.

2 of the 3 local mountains won't be open at night Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday and who knows what else they have up their sleeve. I had heard something last year about not blowing snow during operations. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. We get limited cold here in Southcentral PA and they need to make snow whenever said cold is around, even if that means while slopes are open and people are skiing. Snowmaking 24-hours a day when you have the temps isn't an option its a requirement.. Don't give me some cooperate safety bullshit.

they literally have no idea how to morph their corporate mega resort operations into the Eastern Skiing realm. its completely different and its going to fuck them in the end. Along with likely lots of other things, but not knowing your market or not caring to know your market is never a good look. The later is just poor business operations in the all might name of the bottom line.

I have no choice and I have to be a passholder. my local place is 4 miles from where I type this. I honestly fear that they've already damaged it beyond saving and some day they'll just close it...

2Planker

Ran into Wildcat GM (JK) this morning.
Sadly even he does NOT know when they will be "Allowed to Open" were his exact words.

snoseek

There's always the options of not buying a pass in the first place.

Too many people bought based on hope rather than reality. There's the difference between IKON and EPIC. With IKON, the decision to defer is up to the skier. With EPIC, it's up to Vail under some complex rules. I know a few people who chose IKON over EPIC for that reason alone.

Granted, it's much harder for the northeast skiers. Vail owns more mountains than Alterra. And many of those mountains are kind of "corner the market" type of mountain too.

I bought EPIC. But I have a much lower expectation than other years. Also, I "downgraded" my pass to limit my lose if the season turns out to be a total clusterf*
My expectations are in check. I even bought an alternative pass to go along with if it gets too weird. Weather has been shitty and they want to spread out on open...I get it. Just would like some communication. As a former employee for them this is a recurring issue all around.