• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

cdskier

Yep but NO snowmaking at the base, Belt also was done but only the top. BTW it was 29 degrees all night at the base.

I wouldn't waste money making snow at 29 either...especially considering the humidity was in the 70-80% range all night per Hunter's weather station data. That puts you right on the lower end of the marginal range for snowmaking.

thebigo

Does wildcat usually open before Canmore?
The base at Wildcat is 600 feet higher than the summit at Cranmore. They are less than 20 miles apart.

Despite this I just bought day tickets to Cranmore on Sunday because Vail sucks.

drjeff

Yep but NO snowmaking at the base, Belt also was done but only the top. BTW it was 29 degrees all night at the base. And now the weather has been updated to "mixed" precipitation for Saturday
29 degrees with moderate humidity gives an ugly wet bulb temperature where whatever limited product is made would more likely resemble a slurpy instead of snow.

Air temp and wet bulb temp (air temp with humidity factored in) are 2 different things, and with respect to snowmaking, its all about the wet bulb, and the vast majority of the time, if the wet bulb is above 28, its not worth the cost of making snow, unless its a dire emergency

deadheadskier

Staff member
Does wildcat usually open before Canmore?
Usually do at least two weeks prior. Sometimes as much as a month.

Wildcat typically competes with Bretton Woods to be first open in the state. It's probably 50/50 who wins most years. Loon has won some years too.

Wildcat has opened in October a couple of times in the past 15 years. Like the 30th, but in October none the less

Most years Cat is open by around November 12th and Cranmore the last weekend in November.

So we are looking at about a month later start than normal for Cat. Crappy weather to be certain, but the fact that Cranmore and Ragged will be open before Cat this year is a pretty terrible look for Vail

Smellytele

Wildcat typically competes with Bretton Woods to be first open in the state. It's probably 50/50 who wins most years. Loon has won some years too.

Wildcat has opened in October a couple of times in the past 15 years. Like the 30th, but in October none the less

Most years Cat is open by around November 12th and Cranmore the last weekend in November.

So we are looking at about a month later start than normal for Cat. Crappy weather to be certain, but the fact that Cranmore and Ragged will be open before Cat this year is a pretty terrible look for Vail
They will blame inversion...

actually they probably won’t say anything.

snoseek

If they started the season later and ended it later at the cat I would 100 percent be on board covid or not but sadly its not gonna work out that way

mlkrgr

And Wachusett technically beats Wildcat this year too! Wa is reopening tomorrow with all this snow & not a peap out of the cat.
I'm happy I bought my Wa pass this year and decided to pass on the epic pass.

snoseek

The wildcat cam is looking nuclear at the moment. Up until tomorrow or monday I'll give them a pass as the weather has been shit and the nh areas probably don't have the firepower that the vt properties. After that I'm straight up pissed if all 3 vt areas are open and none in nh. Am I supposed to break rules to use my pass?

abc

The wildcat cam is looking nuclear at the moment. Up until tomorrow or monday I'll give them a pass as the weather has been shit and the nh areas probably don't have the firepower that the vt properties. After that I'm straight up pissed if all 3 vt areas are open and none in nh. Am I supposed to break rules to use my pass?
Organize a skinning party starting from Wildcat parking lot? :)

thebigo

It has been all rain in the valley. Headed up to wildcat around noon, it turned to snow roughly where you enter the wmnf. Drove further, then turned around before I got to the notch. Attitash is bare ground.

I have never heard of ski area getting feet of snow and not mentioning it. There is nothing about the storm on their website or social media. The snow report was last updated on November 12.

Bought tickets to cranmore tomorrow, was hoping for fresh but with all this rain, day #1 may be a $100 run down the bunny hill.

Gforce

This is exactly why I declined to get an Epic pass after 8 seasons with a $649 Peaks Pass. This along with the Covid situation it just seemed crazy to shell out $1000+ or whatever it is now with all the unknowns and an anticipated subpar on mountain product for the 20-21 season. Masks on the slopes, reservations, longer lines, reduced staffing/poor service, no lodge, no apres ski....doesn't sound fun so I passed.
I am playing it by ear and may just do day trips when and where I can.