• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

2Planker

As a Cat skier and patroller for 50+ years, this is absolutely the worst I have ever seen it.
Such a shame that Vail just doesn't care about the lil guy.

Once again, several of us are contemplating another offer to buy the Cat.

If you didn't read it before, NOW it's even more true

1609581774533.png

Attachments

• 1609581608700.png
    1609581608700.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 4

jaytrem

Mount Snow surprised me with acuracy this morning. 3 inches of snow and now it's raining.

thebigo

Several inches on the ground in the mount washington valley and snowing heavy. No mention of the yankee in the attitash snow report.

They have blown the snow, it is deep and just sitting there. It is new years weekend, what are they waiting for? How can forcing massive lines to wait for the triple be in anyone's interest?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is this a serious consideration or a bunch of guys sitting around the bar at the door shooting the shit?

I'd love to read the business plan. The place would need quite a bit of investment to make it as a stand alone entity IMO. Not the least of which being having the capital to replace the quad in the next 10-15 years. Not too many HSQ out there older than 30 years old and Cats is now 23.

What I feel would be best for it is if a situation like Taos happened where you have some billionaire with great passion for the mountain buys it, wants to maintain the historic culture of the place and isn't too worried about making a bunch of money.

snoseek

Wildcat as a standalone mountain owned by a group that gave a shit would be a dream.

thebigo

This says it all, hoard of kids at 3 to ratio. High speed quad closed, fixed grip triple open.

Attachments

• 20210102_085934.jpg
    20210102_085934.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33

thebigo

Lift and trails closed, saturday holiday week.

Attachments

• 20210102_092101.jpg
    20210102_092101.jpg
    954.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210102_092058.jpg
    20210102_092058.jpg
    874.2 KB · Views: 24

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hers a pipe dream that would be great. Vail cancels the lease, USFS leases Cat to the State, NH runs it like Cannon. Introduce a new pass product called NH People's pass inclusive of Cannon, Wildcat and Gunstock.

xlr8r

Meanwhile, over at bear:
That is insane. Whomever this GM is needs to be replaced ASAP. To have crowds that big and not have other lifts running when they could be is unacceptable. Why is Flying Yankee not up and running by now when there is now plenty of snow to have it open. Rob Katz needs to make an apology for both Attitash and Wildcat specifically as this is a complete sh*t show. I see a lot of people buying White Mountain Superpasses next year in the MWV.

nhskier1969

Essentially, that the snow reporting, photos, and social interactions will be local, not done remotely from headquarters, which is a positive.
I complained about this a couple of years ago when ikon bought Sugarbush. All the ikon sites looked the same, no local feel at all. Up to this year Epic and Ikon websites didn't even have a daily update. You have/had two options on Ikon/Epic sites for weather of trails. Weather would give you a forecast, trails would give you a list of trails that are open. Neither would tell you about current conditions etc. They seem to be getting better now but All corporate ski websites have ZERO local feel to them. This is why VAIL SUCKS.

jaytrem

10AM at Mount Snow and they only have Tubleweed, Heavy Metal and Discovery. That 3 inches sure caused them a lit of trouble. They really do suck.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That is insane. Whomever this GM is needs to be replaced ASAP. To have crowds that big and not have other lifts running when they could be is unacceptable. Why is Flying Yankee not up and running by now when there is now plenty of snow to have it open. Rob Katz needs to make an apology for both Attitash and Wildcat specifically as this is a complete sh*t show. I see a lot of people buying White Mountain Superpasses next year in the MWV.

You can count me as one family who is moving on. I'm in the sweet spot of who Vail should be trying to please. Next year my kids will be 6 and 3. I'll have them in seasonal programs at Cannon. That's a solid revenue stream for Vail for 15 years. Tens of thousands of dollars in revenue taken elsewhere over that time period. I would have to see a miraculous turn around this year and next to take my business back to Vail. I want nothing more than my kids to grow up skiing Wildcat as their home mountain, but despite my love of the place, there's just no way I can justify giving my money to Vail next season after what has gone on up there this year.

thebigo

Our eight year old is in a seasonal program, four year old in private lessons. My wife and i have not been able to take a single run together because we cannot trust the piece of shit triple to get us back to the base within an hour. Tomorrow she is back to her covid patients and vail does not even care enough to offer an explanation.

snoseek

Hers a pipe dream that would be great. Vail cancels the lease, USFS leases Cat to the State, NH runs it like Cannon. Introduce a new pass product called NH People's pass inclusive of Cannon, Wildcat and Gunstock.
God damn this right here! I've always said Cannon and Gunstock would be everything I want on a pass and being state and county owned makes a shitload of sense. Add Wildcat on and I would pay top dollar. discounts for in state residents like they do at Cannon would be awesome. Attitash can go over to Ikon because they need more NH options

thebigo

They don't answer the phone and I am taking every effort to be say thank you and be gracious to employees. They are not the problem and I am sure they are being abused even more than us.

icecoast1

Several inches on the ground in the mount washington valley and snowing heavy. No mention of the yankee in the attitash snow report.

They have blown the snow, it is deep and just sitting there. It is new years weekend, what are they waiting for? How can forcing massive lines to wait for the triple be in anyone's interest?
Wonder if theres a serious staffing issue going on?

gregnye

I know money is tight right now and Vail might be hesitant to blow snow at Wildcat (a mountain that is day-trips only). But I'd have way more respect for Vail if they just decided earlier in the year that they weren't going to open Wildcat at all due to funding, and gave passholders the option for a refund. And then Wildcat was just open for backcountry skiing this year, and then next season, when there is money again, Vail reopened wildcat. Instead, Vail is putting in minimal effort, pretending that everything is normal on social media, and annoying Wildcat fans.