• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

icecoast1

Same, I have never had an issue on my ez-pass bill.
The people that seem to be having the biggest issues are the ones that don't have ez passes. Although each time I've driven on 90 and gone multiple exits; the system scans me as having gotten on and off the thruway multiple times on the trip,which doesn't happen. Hasn't been an issue so far only going 1 exit

cdskier

The people that seem to be having the biggest issues are the ones that don't have ez passes.

That part doesn't necessarily surprise me. Automation is a bit more difficult or less accurate when you need to base it on digital images of license plates and correlate that data. I would be surprised to hear of people with ezpass having a lot of issues though. That part is simple to automate unless someone has a bad transponder (or doesn't have it properly mounted which I used to see all too often).

dblskifanatic

So I was on vail resorts page to see what news they had listed and there was a WOKE letter from Rob Katz where he even apologizes. After I read it, I had mixed feelings. While the sport we love does not fall in line with racial percentages in this country, does that mean that it has to be? I do not think there are any racial barriers to skiing or snowboarding There are many sports where it is lopsided like basketball, football and there other sports that are like skiing such as tennis and hockey. It seems we want to make everything fit a mold and that seems to be what he is trying to do in this letter.

ScottySkis

So I was on vail resorts page to see what news they had listed and there was a WOKE letter from Rob Katz where he even apologizes. After I read it, I had mixed feelings. While the sport we love does not fall in line with racial percentages in this country, does that mean that it has to be? I do not think there are any racial barriers to skiing or snowboarding There are many sports where it is lopsided like basketball, football and there other sports that are like skiing such as tennis and hockey. It seems we want to make everything fit a mold and that seems to be what he is trying to do in this letter.

The corporate like Vail is at fault not us people who use the hills in my opinion

Edd

It’s you spelling “Woke” in all caps that scares me to death. I may not sleep tonight. What’re we gonna do you guys?

deadheadskier

Staff member

You're missing his point entirely about the systemic economic racism in this country and how it relates to the sport of skiing.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Tons...and I mean tons... of historically non-skiing nationalities are coming up. I skied Mount Snow Thanksgiving 2017 or 2018 and it was empty but Long John was a shitshow in all it's glory with a....imma say it...a literal "Chinese Downhill". Skiing is now huge in China. In my instructing career when regarding adults I've taught more non-white adults in never-ever classes than whites.

thebigo

While I am glad to see investment at the cat. Does anyone understand the point of lighter chairs?

Wildcat: Application for construction, replacement of chairs only (not hangers) on
TRM 34, Wildcat Express.
Lance Rasmussen provided the board with a written outline of the steps that would be
taken to insure the chair replacement would be suitable for this installation. He reviewed this
outline with the board. The replacement chairs are lighter than the current chairs. The
replacement is due to the condition of the current chairs. Only the chairs are to be changed.
The existing hangers and grips will be re-used.
Chairman Petrozzi asked for an overview of TRM 34. Lance Rasmussen explained the
lift was a detachable quad, built in 1997 with approximately 40,000 hours run time.
Chairman Petrozzi explained that this would constitute a modification and therefore would
require a signed application and design certificate.
Stan Judge questioned the changes to line loading with the lighter chairs. He
explained the current chairs were heavier to help with wind issues. He felt the loading
calculations were important.

xlr8r

While I am glad to see investment at the cat. Does anyone understand the point of lighter chairs?

I'm really confused by this. The Wildcat Express has Doppelmayr EJ chairs. New Doppelmayr lifts have essentially the same EJ chairs. I don't see how new EJ chairs can be significantly lighter than old ones unless they are now made out of different materials. I would expect the new chairs to have slatted backrests to help with the wind, this might save a couple pounds, but not much. Maybe the remove the footrests as well to save some weight. This whole thing seems ridiculous. There are plenty of Doppelmayr lifts that have EJ chairs that are older than Wildcat Express still using their original chairs. This is the first time hearing EJ chairs need to be replaced due to age. Maybe they want to add chairs to the lift to boost capacity, but that was not brought up in the meeting.

snoseek

So does this mean that chair will be down for wind more frequently?

PAabe

Fast food workers starting at 14-16 in park city.
I may be late to this conversation, but the effective market-rate minimum wage in much of PA is also around 12 despite officially being 7.25. There are McDonalds starting at like 14. Vail pays 8 from what I understand so chalk any staffing issues in PA up to that

drjeff

Just announced on their social media feeds that Attitash is delaying the start of their Summer ops of the Summit Triple and Flying Yankee due to delays in maintenance with no current estimated date of opening currently given.....

Should we start a betting pool of if there will be any folks riding either of those lifts before ski season or not? Based on how Vail has chosen to operate Attitash, I would likely bet the "not until ski season" option....

2Planker

Just announced on their social media feeds that Attitash is delaying the start of their Summer ops of the Summit Triple and Flying Yankee due to delays in maintenance with no current estimated date of opening currently given.....

Should we start a betting pool of if there will be any folks riding either of those lifts before ski season or not? Based on how Vail has chosen to operate Attitash, I would likely bet the "not until ski season" option....

The "delays in maintenance" are because the whole Lift Ops and most of the Lift Maintenance crew left after the giant SHIT SHOW of last season at Attitash

Truthfully I don't know that both will run next season. Summer Ops is VERY light lift use