• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

chuckstah

Looks like broomfield made a copy/paste social media post for wildcat/attitash/Steven's pass that really gave no explanation other than the old covid excuse. The comment sections are gold...particularly the Steven's pass ones
This is a new low. Even the "we know we suck" message is corporate speak from Broomfield, and they forced the local GM's to sign it. Epic.

Reactions: Edd

FBGM

That is super shitty

My parents neighbor is the Head of IT there I'm certain he's going to get the ax...
When they took over PC they kept a few IT around but not all. Some quit, they knew what was coming. I think there was only 3 total IT after all said and done from PC/Canyons together. Most IT Is run from some central location.

Which, I hate to say it, I agree with. Sub out IT or have it central. You are a ski business, not IT business. (I did the same in other industries, sub out most IT)

abc

Which, I hate to say it, I agree with. Sub out IT or have it central. You are a ski business, not IT business. (I did the same in other industries, sub out most IT)
Not just IT. Other peripheral services will (and should) centralized too, payroll for example.

MogulMonsters

When they took over PC they kept a few IT around but not all. Some quit, they knew what was coming. I think there was only 3 total IT after all said and done from PC/Canyons together. Most IT Is run from some central location.

Vail is doing exactly that. They are a “financial” business and not a “ski business” so they value profits over product and experience.

Snow making and lift service is at reduced levels to cut costs.

Penny wise and pound foolish. Short term win. Long term failure.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Per snow report, bretton woods currently has 126 acres open. Sunday river has 362 acres open.

Loon, which I would consider a more direct competitor to bretton woods, has 201 acres open. South peak should increase the number significantly tomorrow.
SR/ Boyne needs every acre open to handle the massive # of people they put on the hill from the NE pass and the IKON passholders. Weekends are a shitshow. BW is nearly empty. :) Groomer tracks last past lunch where the get obliterated at Loon/SR in 1 hour.

FBGM

Vail is doing exactly that. They are a “financial” business and not a “ski business” so they value profits over product and experience.

Snow making and lift service is at reduced levels to cut costs.

Penny wise and pound foolish. Short term win. Long term failure.
All the lift/grooming/snowmaking/kitchen service staff is not cut to reduce cost, it’s cut due to the fact there is a massive employee shortage. They would have all those departments 100% full if they could.

As mentioned above, centralized or outsourced stuff like IT/Payroll/Marketing is their cost cutting method.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I've been beating up on Hunter (well deserved), and been watching the Wildcat/Attitash fiasco. But I stumbled on Stevens Pass's Facebook site OMG, the place is beautiful, they're less open percentage wise then Hunter is and people are up in arms! The more shit I research the worse it gets........said.

machski

Dear Wildcat guests,

Before I jump into lift and terrain updates for the coming weeks (for which I know we are all eager!), I wanted to first say thank you. Thank you to you, our guests, and to our incredible Wildcat team members on the ground.

I know that this has been a challenging start to the season and we hear your feedback that you wish more terrain was open. Trust us, we do too. I wanted to take a moment to give you some more insight as to why that is. It is no secret that we, like so many others in the travel and leisure industry, are facing a staffing shortage that is creating challenges for certain departments at Wildcat. This is in addition to the continuous impacts of COVID-19 and the Omicron variant, all while working through our busiest time of year when demand for outdoor experiences is higher than ever.

If you’ve had the chance to visit our resort already this season, you’ll have seen firsthand how hard our team has been working to provide you with a great experience. Without much help from Mother Nature, our team has been working hard to make snow, run lifts and keep you all safe – all with a smile on their faces.

So, as you plan for your holiday skiing and riding, we want to share an update on which lifts are open this week so you can plan accordingly. Beginning this Saturday, we’re planning to operate the Snowcat, Tomcat and Snowbelt lifts daily. Unfortunately, summit access is still not available but we will continue to reevaluate lift schedules and provide an update as soon as possible. Up-to-the-minute details are always available on SkiWildcat.com.

Our amazing team remains focused on delivering the best possible on-mountain experience for our guests and keeping guest safety as our top priority.

We are grateful for your patience – and understanding – and we look forward to seeing you on the slopes soon.

All the very best,
JD Crichton
General Manager, Wildcat
Holy shit, Vail even uses form letters for these communications!! Look at this one from Stevens Pass:

Hello, Stevens Pass Community,

I’m reaching out with a personal message. I know things have been frustrating since our opening last week. The truth is, we’re dealing with a lot of difficult challenges right now, including the staffing shortages facing everyone in the travel + leisure industry. For us, that has impacted our ability to open the mountain the way we know we can, and want to – and I want to apologize to our guests for how that has affected your recent experience.

Stevens Pass is run by people who are deeply passionate about what this mountain has to offer, and I want to thank our team who has been working tirelessly, not only to prepare our mountain for opening, but also to keep it running. They’ve been working so hard, without complaint, in the face of these staffing challenges which are also coming up against our busiest time of year and new dynamics presented by the Omicron variant.

I also want to thank all of our guests, who share that deep love + passion for this beautiful place. It's important to recognize that many of you feel a sense of disappointment, and I want to assure you we are working hard to resolve these issues. It’s frustrating for us, too. We’re dealing with challenges one day at a time, and that means focusing our staff where we can maximize our operations while keeping guest safety as our top priority.

Here’s what this means for right now – please keep in mind things are dynamic. Our goal is to expand our offerings as quickly as possible:

❄Skyline Express, Brooks Express, Hogsback Express, 7th Heaven, and Daisy are our open chairs; the backside of the mountain is not yet open – we’re working to open as soon as we can.

❄Night skiing will include terrain accessible from Hogsback Express and Daisy.

❄Tye Creek Eatery + The Foggy Goggle will remain closed for the time being.

Stevens Pass is truly a special place, and one I’ve been honored to be part of over the last several years. The team + I are committed to providing updates as soon as we’re able. Thank you again for your patience – and understanding – as we move through this season together.

Best,
Tom Pettigrew – General Manager, Stevens Pass

abc

Vail is no more a "financial" than your local pub!

Every business must make money. They have to provide a "product" to attract customers. That "product" is skiing.

chuckstah

Holy shit, Vail even uses form letters for these communications!! Look at this one from Stevens Pass:

Hello, Stevens Pass Community,

I’m reaching out with a personal message. I know things have been frustrating since our opening last week. The truth is, we’re dealing with a lot of difficult challenges right now, including the staffing shortages facing everyone in the travel + leisure industry. For us, that has impacted our ability to open the mountain the way we know we can, and want to – and I want to apologize to our guests for how that has affected your recent experience.

Stevens Pass is run by people who are deeply passionate about what this mountain has to offer, and I want to thank our team who has been working tirelessly, not only to prepare our mountain for opening, but also to keep it running. They’ve been working so hard, without complaint, in the face of these staffing challenges which are also coming up against our busiest time of year and new dynamics presented by the Omicron variant.

I also want to thank all of our guests, who share that deep love + passion for this beautiful place. It's important to recognize that many of you feel a sense of disappointment, and I want to assure you we are working hard to resolve these issues. It’s frustrating for us, too. We’re dealing with challenges one day at a time, and that means focusing our staff where we can maximize our operations while keeping guest safety as our top priority.

Here’s what this means for right now – please keep in mind things are dynamic. Our goal is to expand our offerings as quickly as possible:

❄Skyline Express, Brooks Express, Hogsback Express, 7th Heaven, and Daisy are our open chairs; the backside of the mountain is not yet open – we’re working to open as soon as we can.

❄Night skiing will include terrain accessible from Hogsback Express and Daisy.

❄Tye Creek Eatery + The Foggy Goggle will remain closed for the time being.

Stevens Pass is truly a special place, and one I’ve been honored to be part of over the last several years. The team + I are committed to providing updates as soon as we’re able. Thank you again for your patience – and understanding – as we move through this season together.

Best,
Tom Pettigrew – General Manager, Stevens Pass
The Attitash one is exactly the same as well. Epic.

Mainer

I skied cranmore this week, they had a ton of j1s working. Attitash has a couple but nowhere near as many as in years past. What does cranmore do better to recruit them?
Skied Shawnee yesterday, fully staffed tons of guns blowing. Just looked at wildcat Facebook page, getting crushed as always. Liked how wildcat didn’t respond to any comments about why the upper mtn is closed, but did respond to say the new gm used to live in Maine. Strange times at the the cat.

Kingslug20

If you look at a lot of industries these days..you see the direction they are headed..no more " premium" product...just cost cutting and a totaly down graded experience...take flying for instance...thats real fun now. Its a shame.

snoseek

Looking at the Webcam for crotched as they opened today and the rocket ain't spinning. Was gonna head up tomorrow but not without that running

snoseek

A closer look has me questioning if they're even open. I don't see humans anywhere